talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Barcelona Discussion

football forum

football forum

FC Barcelona (crest).svg

Futbol Club Barcelona, commonly known as Barcelona and familiarly as Barça, is a professional football club based in BarcelonaCataloniaSpain.

Founded in 1899 by a group of Swiss, English and Catalan footballers led by Joan Gamper, the club has become a symbol of Catalan culture and Catalanism, hence the motto "Més que un club" (English: "More than a club"). Unlike many other football clubs, the supporters own and operate Barcelona. It is the second most valuable sports team in the world, worth $3.56 billion, and the world's second richest football club in terms of revenue, with an annual turnover of €560.8 million. The official Barcelona anthem is the "Cant del Barça", written by Jaume Picas and Josep Maria Espinàs.

Domestically, Barcelona has won 24 La Liga, 28 Copa del Rey, 12 Supercopa de España, 3 Copa Eva Duarte and 2 Copa de la Liga trophies, as well as being the record holder for the latter four competitions. In international club football, Barcelona has won five UEFA Champions League titles, a record four UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, a shared record five UEFA Super Cup, a record three Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and a record three FIFA Club World Cup. Barcelona was ranked first in the IFFHS Club World Ranking for 1997, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 and currently occupies the third position on the UEFA club rankings. The club has a long-standing rivalry with Real Madrid; matches between the two teams are referred to as El Clásico.

All discussion relating to FC Barcelona that does not warrant it's own thread (i.e. - players signing new contracts, newspaper clippings etc...) should take place here. 

Best midfielder in Europe atm. PSG won't let him go, and if so, it would be in the Pogba region. Except Barca will actually get a world class player for the money they spent. 

But yeah, PSG are looking like a formidable club now with Emery. Balance, young talent mixed in with established high class players. All that now under the management of a European mastermind. 

Can't see him leaving tbh. 

Edited by Cicero

In reality Verratti hasn't said anything out of the ordinary or anything that all players say when questioned on possible suitors.  He belongs to PSG and is in the middle of a campaign where he's been a major protagonist this season...  Emery has gotten the best out of him and what many thought he was capable of.  What's he meant to say?  He didn't actually close the doors on a possible move to the Camp Nou and even if it isn't Barça, I wouldn't be surprised if he did actually move somewhere next season.

Answering in any other manner than the way he did when he's playing Barcelona and the references are to the club he will be battling it out against would've been absurd.

img_mcorbera_20170309-140113_imagenes_md

Once we were legends

Well there's been all sorts of adjectives thrown at FC Barcelona or many of their players ever since one man with a vision decided to change the "hard luck" story that had always been felt by the Cules (Barça fans).  The dark years in Spain for so many reasons (more so real life and not football) had left a bitter taste and one that has never been digested properly.  It's possibly for that reason that Spanish people are today a bunch of unsatisfied personalities on the whole...  It's possibly why once one protest has finished and no longer exists, they then search for the next reason to feel disgusted and appalled by.  Well it's not like there isn't reason to be suspicious of the establishment when month after month there's a new story of corruption and pure manipulation of the social rules of coexistence. Life has always been more in line with a feeling of morbidness and negativity when a "Spaniard" is asked what his or her plans are for the future!  Pessimism is probably a better and more likely descriptive word.

Johan Cruyff was that man...  Cruyff was hard lined, probably you could say that Zlatan Ibrahimović personality caricature is a joke version of what Cruyff was in reality and with a method.  I say that because Ibrahimović is a more contemporary celebrity in the world of football and one more in tune with today's football fan and that Cruyff is only known to have been one of the footballing greats and maybe also someone that changed certain things in the way football is visualised (the latter for the more avid and studious fan).  But few will know how important the man was to football and how everything changed from the moment he became a professional footballer and then a commander of the dugout.  No more catenaccio and nor more negativity on an outlook of how to plan a possible victory the confronting someone of your own ilk or superior.  Belief in one's vision, in one's self and overall on the fact people go to football to be entertained and see moments that will stay registered in the retina forever.  He changed the club, he changed Spanish football...  He changed football!

img_ppunti_20170308-205010_imagenes_md_p

But to be more up to date, we have now nearly 15 years or more of one generation of footballers that has accomplished feats that were once seen as stuff of movies or graphic novels for spotty teenagers.  Great goals, winning in spectacular fashion, playing a brand of fantasy football and going further than just living on hope.  It's kind of ironic that the eternal underachievers, Spain, also changed their destiny in that time and with the same generation of players.  That instead of it having been where the god of football was born, it was his adopted country that benefitted from the madness put into a method.  Some in Spain hate the fact their country managed the feats they did for almost a decade...  These people that despise what occurred are people that tend to be national flag wavers and victims of pro-right-wing tattoo bearers.  Why?  Because those that don't feel in such a manner, those they accuse of not feeling any nationalistic pride at all or maybe those that suffered in the dark years for this were the ones that changed it and actually went and put it into effect.

What was seen yesterday in the Camp Nou is in reality just one more feat, one more glorious moment, one more record broken and one more statistic for the future to be used by football commentators and pundits.  Maybe only past footballers or people that have been involved in the game all their lives know how difficult it is to achieve the things these players (and some that have retired in recent years from this generation) have done which probably describes the reaction in the studio of those presenting a football program...

Some criticise, some are just eternally miserable and hate enjoyment and some may even be envious of something that just doesn't seem to bloody end.

It doesn't matter if FC Barcelona go onto win the Champions League this season.  It doesn't make a difference!  Infact most that have let themselves enjoy the feats and adventures of these people only wished that respect could be put back in place.  A good victory and a passionate display from their players to take home and prove it was all an error coupled with some wonderful play by the home side that evening three weeks ago in Paris.  But it went a step further...

img_mmontilla_20170308-230547_imagenes_m

Luis Enrique interviewed the day before last night's historic moment said this.

"We will score four goals.  Of that I have no doubt...  There will be a moment where my players will know they are on the verge of doing it, of turning around something that seems impossible for others to believe in"

Then he was asked...  The probabilities are that your opponent (PSG) will also score at least a goal.  What then?

"Then if they score one, we will have to score six, and we will"

Maybe Luis Enrique in his rebellious and ill mannered way in front of the press was just being facetious or down right "up yours".  Or maybe he believed!  He didn't know what was going to happen, but he did know that his players were going to bring moments of hope and on the edge sentiments.

Celebrate this because people have been witnessing real legends for a long time now.  Celebrate and don't feel you have to wish so hard...  Celebrate when these guys were legends.

Edited by SirBalon

People can say what they want about the second penalty decision, which did look a soft one for me, but nothing should be taken away from Barcelona last night. One single wrong decision will not change the fact that they were ruthless and their determination to overcome a record breaking deficit in champions league. I think the saying Luck favours the brave is what applies here, Yes Barcelona were lucky with that second penalty decision but I think they deserved the victory totally after the way they played and also PSG deserved the loss because of how cowardly they were.

have seen some sore people comparing this to the one against chelsea in 2009 which is wrong. This is no way comparable to that even if the second penalty is a wrong decision. That match against chelsea was a disgrace, I agree that, because of wrong decision after wrong decision. 

14 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Ivan Rakitic set to sign until 2021:

skysports-ivan-rakitic-barcelona-rakitic

Ivan Rakitic has agreed to extend his Barcelona contract until 2021, with a buyout clause of 125m euros (£109m).The Croatia international arrived at the Nou Camp in 2014 from fellow La Liga side Sevilla, and will sign the deal to see him stay at the club for a further four years on Friday. Rakitic was part of the Barcelona side that produced a historic comeback to beat Paris Saint-Germain 6-1 on Wednesday night, seeing them through to the Champions League quarter finals with a 6-5 aggregate win over the French champions.

The 28-year-old has been a key member of Luis Enrique's team, making 145 appearances in the Spaniard's time in charge, and the club have moved to secure Rakitic's future ahead of a new head coach arriving in the summer when Enrique steps down from his position. Rakitic has already made 37 appearances across all competitions for Barcelona this campaign, and is on course to break his best goal tally in a single season (nine) having netted six times in 2016-17.

Great news if you ask me, Rakitic has been an un-sung hero at the Camp Nou this season and it's vital that the club tie him down for his best years. At 28 he's in his prime and when Iniesta decides to call it a day there's no doubt that Ivan can step up to the plate.

Brilliant news!

He is sublime when on top form, something he hasn't been this season (let's not get coaxed by the goals scored and let's leave that to the fanboys).  He can offer much more and is an imperative part of the cogs in the machine of the side.  Whichever coach comes in next season will have a multifunctional (multi-tasking) midfielder that is a dream for anyone.

Love the guy and love his attitude.

I think it's the best statement of is quality and worth to the team, that they were able to transition so successfully from phasing Xavi out of the team.

Obviously he didn't replace Xavi in a complete sense, but he was a key part of the team managing to alter its style to cope so well with his absence. Which isn't easy. 

5 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

Despite not being yet sold in his top-5 player hype, Verratti would look good in a Barcelona shirt and it's the type of player they need the most in order to keep on surfing the Messi wave. Not André Gomes.

I was a massive fan of André Gomes while he was at Valencia and I still think he is very talented.  But it's becoming more and more evident he doesn't fit into that side at all.  Nobody can't say as has been the case with many players all over the place in the past and present that he hasn't been given a chance.  Luis Enrique has been forceful with him and played him even when André was getting criticised quite a bit.

As for Verratti...  He is obviously perfect for Barça but coming from PSG he would be extremely expensive.

• Upvote 1

Tbh if there werent three goals involved in last 7 mins or so then this wouldnt have been talked about this much... I think its the last minute goals that made the victory even more special. i still remember people talking for days about the 2014 champs league final where ramos scored the 93rd min equaliser. Now here were are talking about three goals in a very short span in dying minutes so yeah this wont subside anytime soon

6 hours ago, Spike said:

The 6-1 victory is so blown out of proportion. Oooooh, the most stacked team in the world with the absolute two best forwards in the world and another top five forward beat PSG. Gimme a break.

Under that premise then it would be a forgone conclusion that Barça will win the Champions League and everything they play in and that isn't how it is.  PSG have a great side which is another reason why this feat is historic apart from the fact nobody's done it before mate.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Under that premise then it would be a forgone conclusion that Barça will win the Champions League and everything they play in and that isn't how it is.  PSG have a great side which is another reason why this feat is historic apart from the fact nobody's done it before mate.

PSG's first result was a fluke, this was not.

img_gmartinezr_20170309-125822_imagenes_

With the will and a strong heart the seemingly impossible becomes possible

The feat will live forever because great moments come from people who are willing to make an extraordinary sacrifice against adversity.  When everything and everyone around you loses hope and only sees the impossible, it's those that believe, that can make the change.  The lesson isn't even the fact seemingly impossible feats can be overcome, the thing we should learn in any walk of life is that even if you go down, doing it by trying to overcome with fight and spirit will make you carry on with gladness in your heart.  From that moment on both yourself and all those around you will see life in a different light...

They will never forget!

The following video is a compilation of mostly people that lived the moment with their smartphone or tablet coupled with some moments from tv and radio.  I personally love the final moments how it ends.  The euphoria you visualise is pure unadulterated disbelief and almost a feeling of spontaneous personal closure.

From people in the Camp Nou, to people all over the world, commentators in the stadium, the players, and people watching at home...

This final video is the commentary of various Spanish radio stations in the moment Sergi Roberto scores the final goal.

I've been avidly watching Barcelona's games now for god knows how many years and never seen anything like that. There have been some incredible last minute goals and moments that I have witnessed such as Rivaldo vs Valencia to tie up 4th place or the goal by Iniesta vs Chelsea in 2009, these are always moments that stand out above the rest. But the Sergi Roberto's last minute goal could well top that when looking back in the future, mainly due to the remarkable comeback(well 2 comebacks technically) prior to the goal, which looked utterly impossible and I doubt I will witness anything equal again in the Champions league knock out stages. It's got to be noted that PSG spend a ridiculous amount of money and are a team who are absolutely full to the brim of quality, so it's not like it was a simple a case of coming back against an average side after a howler of a first leg. In the first leg, it wasn't just a case of the away team being poor, but the home team playing marvellously well and showing their true quality. This was a strong opponent that Barça needed to score 5(well 6 in the end) against and to score 3 of those when there is 87 minutes gone off the clock seems unreal. You were having to pinch yourself to see if it hurt. At 3-0, it looked certain, but once Cavani scored, that certainty became practically zero.

Ter Stegen was an unsung hero. He made a few vital saves, but what stood out for me was when he came up for the corner late on, then decided to stay up there. He caused all types of problems for the opposition by doing this, he weren't just a keeper coming up to try and grab a late goal, but he actually had a presence and it played a massive part in the winning goal if you watch him carefully. What a keeper he is becoming in general. He's certainly grown this year after a shaky start to the season and he can only get even better with age. He makes mistakes, but all young keepers do at his age when they are still developing and gaining experience. You can't beat German keepers and Barcelona are in safe hands for potentially another ten years with him between the sticks.

On another note, Sergi Roberto has been the most heavily criticised player this season, so for him to be the one to grab the winning goal is great for the lad. The fact is, he's been played out of position for so long but if he played in midfield he would probably excel more in my opinion. I'd like to see him tried out more there, although it's difficult at the moment given that there is no other man to play at right back at all since the injury of Vidal. Speaking of the midfield, I think Rafinha is currently doing an excellent job and you can see why Enrique is starting to favour playing him a lot.

What can you say about Neymar? He's been class since he joined the club, although one thing lacking from his arsenal was him stepping up and making games like this his own. He's starting to show a lot of maturity to his game now and isn't just about his talent. If there is one thing you could be critical of him this season, it's the fact that despite being an absolute menace with his dribbling and showboating skills, his final product and decision making at the end of it had been poor, although it has been the total opposite recently, he's getting everything right again and with his new levels of maturity this now makes him one of the outright best and most dangerous players in the game currently. A great free-kick, a well taken penalty where he showed zero signs of nervousness, then to play a perfectly timed and weighed ball in like that with your weak foot rather than just hoof it into the box like 99% of players would in that position, really summed up the night he was having and the talent he possess. The team would have had a great go at making a comeback without the Brazilian's presence, although on the night, it wouldn't have been possible to actually achieve it without Neymar stepping up his game like he did. He was the decisive factor when it came to the crunch in the "second" comeback.

Busquets(who was man of the match until the 87th minute, where you'd then have to go on and give the torch to Neymar) and Rakitic regaining their form has also helped the cause ten-fold in recent games. It's those 2 being at their ultimate best that has been lacking all season as starting Gomes just doesn't work. Umtiti doesn't stop improving at the back either, it's just his injury problems that are a potential worry for the future. No player could really be criticised on the night as everyone worked hard and it wasn't necessarily just about outplaying the opponent(I've seen better performances by the team from a pure footballing perspective) but a lot of heart and determination on show. A never give up attitude and the players had the belief from kick off until the final whistle. The defenders were helping the attack, the attack were helping in defence(when needed) and nobody was reluctant to sacrifice themselves whenever required to.

As for the decisions. The first pen was fair, the one on Di Maria was debatable and the winning goal was nowhere near offside, although the second pen was definitely a dive by Luis Suarez.

By the way, I hope it's Dortmund in the next round as it's a fixture I've wanted to see for years. Due to how Dortmund play, I think it would make for an enthralling 2 games and is something different.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 2

7dde712e-14f5-4284-8d57-19ffa6ee5e38.jpg

Neymar responds to Di María

When Paris Saint-Germain's Cavani scored what looked to be the all important 3-1 against Barça at the Camp Nou, Ángel di María responded (probably due to his Real Madrid past) with a finger to his mouth shushing the Barcelona crowd...

di-maria.png

Well Neymar on his Instagram account had an answer for him (a more educated and sophisticated one).

• Upvote 1