talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Barcelona Discussion

football forum

27 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The source who broke the Neymar to PSG transfer is now stating Messi wants to leave this window 

Just saw that on Twitter. 

According to Bechler, a source from inside Barcelona told him Messi wants to move immediately from Barcelona. 

Apparently, Messi is very upset and doesn't trust the board's project for Barcelona. 

Barcelona is one of the most political clubs in the world, so I'd take this news with a grain of salt. 

Perhaps, those rumours were leaked to the press in order to put pressure on Bartomeu and force him to antecipate the Barcelona's presidential election. 

Having said that, If I recall correctly I think it was Graham Hunter who recently mentioned that Messi was considering a move to MLS and had already a sort of an agreemeent with David Beckham to join Inter Miami. 

• Subscriber

Think Messi would be a bit silly to leave Europe right now. Leaving Barcelona, however, seems like it is the time. The club have done absolutely nothing substantial to bolster anything that they built their success on and its in a consistent downward spiral. I really do hope he leaves and tries another league but hes done this with Argentina and it seems like he will continue to do this with Barcelona too. Shame really because he has it in him to win another CL with the right team and no that is not Barcelona. 

Be interested to see how Barcelona go from here, as much as I understand Messi's frustration etc I don't think it would be healthy for Barcelona to bend over backwards for him to stay, one player cannot, ever have so much power. Losing him now will see some short term pain but they can rebuild properly and look to build a team rather than an individual with several good players around them.

I'm going to be honest. La Liga, the organization, makes me cringe hard everytime a star wants to quit Spain. They stop being neutral and do whatever they can so the process dies. This was the same thing they did to Neymar, trying to get things to court because they wanted to cancell the whole transfer, using the FFP as an argument. They are the league, they ain't Barcelona.

It's funny that they are acting like they have more power than FIFA and they are the courts. In this situations FIFA gives all the freedom to players knowing that one day they might have to pay back if court thinks so. So why tf is La Liga acting like they are the voice of reason when they ain't? I hope they get raw dogged in this, I really hope.

On 26/08/2020 at 18:52, The Artful Dodger said:

Be interested to see how Barcelona go from here, as much as I understand Messi's frustration etc I don't think it would be healthy for Barcelona to bend over backwards for him to stay, one player cannot, ever have so much power. Losing him now will see some short term pain but they can rebuild properly and look to build a team rather than an individual with several good players around them.

Need to start building from within again and go through a real transition period. But this means it's probably time for Messi to leave. 33, still an incredible player(still the world's best for me) but if he wants to win new things then it's probably the time now to try a new club  Shame to see a player leave who I'd like to see retire at the club but it probably is the time and to be fair, with Messi, a club like City are set out to win everything in the present and he could help win them their first Champs league, while having the opportunity to pick up league medals in a new league. Cringey club, but with players like Sterling and de Bruyne and his his favourite manager there, he wouldn't be wasting the the end of his career.

I think La Liga is going to be heavily affected in the coming years(as I've touched on), quality wise, but Barcelona won't die, there is a great youth system there and the club will continue be a pull with big players. But it's now time to seriously change things, both at board level and the mentality of the club or there is a risk of becoming AC Milan. If things are done properly though, then with time and patience, that can be avoided and the club can go on to have more great days after a patient rebuilding process. The team needs an identity again.

The biggest problem has been the waste of money. The club have spent more than anyone in Europe over recent years and that's not necessary as it's not what has ever really worked at Barcelona. A team of players like Coutinho, Griezmann, Arthur, Umtiti, Dembélé, Lenglet and de Jong certainly doesn't sound like a bad bunch of signings though in truth and most of them should have done alot better. Well apart from de Jong, who you can see is a class act and can be the future of the team when player in his correct position. But it's been a case of simply throwing a bunch of players onto a pitch, then expecting Messi to come up with the goods.

Maybe if Dembélé can stay injury free then he can be one to be built around. Still very young and massively talented, then there is Fati, Puig...the near future can still be bright with the right choices being made. Lenglet is a good player aswell, but needs someone more solid to partner him, as Pique is terrible.

Ansu is a genuine talent, with alot to his game at a young age. 

Puig needs to be playing all the time aswell. He always looks to pass forward, hardly ever loses possession and has great ball control, can beat players, is full of energy and has strong work ethic..he's a talented lad.

While Arthur showed talent, he was also inconsistent with it and didn't pass the ball forwards enough, didn't create, while Riqui in the chances he had under Setién showed more in such a short time. The midfield needs to be built around himself and de Jong, with someone to complement them. One of Pjanic or Wilnaldum perhaps?

The same mistake can't be made with Puig as with Thaigo, although in the case of the latter he did have to break into a midfield of Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Cesc. But Puig right now is that young bright talent needed.

It would help if Dembélé stayed injury free aswell as he's a very naturally gifted player who has all the talent, just not always the right attitude and his injuries have fucked him so far. But when he has played and been able to have a little run in the team, he has shown his talent.

Nice pass at 1:10. Also @El Profesor look Who the midfielders were in the starting line up for the second half, which you see at the start of the video haha!

It'll be interesting to see what Trincao brings, how De Jong will play under Koeman in his proper role, how Ansu and Puig will develop and if Carles Aleñá can now show he has what it takes. Will Dembélé finally stay injury free this season? Can Griezmann show his best form and will Araújo get chances at the back?

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Nice pass at 1:10. Also @El Profesor look Who the midfielders were in the starting line up for the second half, which you see at the start of the video haha!

It'll be interesting to see what Trincao brings, how De Jong will play under Koeman in his proper role, how Ansu and Puig will develop and if Carles Aleñá can now show he has what it takes. Will Dembélé finally stay injury free this season? Can Griezmann show his best form and will Araújo get chances at the back?

Interesting midfield formation, Chris.

I have a serious gut feeling that Koeman actually, deep down, wanted Messi to leave. He obviously will never admit it, but that's what I feel.

That doesn't mean I think Barça would be better without Messi, but I think Koeman planned to rebuild this team with the attack centered around Griezmann, with intense pressure and athleticism from all players.

It will be interesting to see how he will fit Messi on that equation.

From what I read on Twitter, people were impressed by the effort and commitment put by the 2nd half formation to win back the ball.

I still think Barça will regret the Arthur deal. Many Barça fans are writting him off as a failure because of 2 games after the pause, but he was one Barcelona´s best players in the early part of last season and under Pirlo, he will grow a lot. 

Edited by El Profesor
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Interesting midfield formation, Chris.

I have a serious gut feeling that Koeman actually, deep down, wanted Messi to leave. He obviously will never admit it, but that's what I feel.

That doesn't mean I think Barça would be better without Messi, but I think Koeman planned to rebuild this team with the attack centered around Griezmann, with intense pressure and athleticism from all players.

It will be interesting to see how he will fit Messi on that equation.

From what I read on Twitter, people were impressed by the effort and commitment put by the 2nd half formation to win back the ball.

I still think Barça will regret the Arthur deal. Many Barça fans are writting him off as a failure because of 2 games after the pause, but he was one Barcelona´s best players in the early part of last season and under Pirlo, he will grow a lot. 

I agree as himself and de Hong could have formed the best midfield pairing in Europe in the coming years but I do rate Puig highly and I think his energy levels, aswell as his ability could take him far. Arthur was very inconsistent but I always thought he was held back under Valverde's system more than anything.

I think where he left a bad taste in the mouth of the club and fans alike is when he injured himself skiing. His attitude didn't always seem great either. But you still feel him leaving will turn out being a mistake.

Pedri is also a cracking young talent. Ansu, Pedri, Puig, Aleñá, Araújo, Trincao, possibly Todibo if he stays and doesn't go out on loan..there is actually a lot of quality young talent at the club right now.

This will be make or break for Dembélé this season, but he's a serious talent and could really be a big player for Barcelona if his legs weren't made of glass.

There is also this man as well of course, who is one of the players who the team needs to be built around:-

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Upvote 1

Some observations from the 1st half of the Girona friendly: 

- Araújo and Trincão are good, they will be important for Barcelona this season; 

- Coutinho looks impressive in the pressing, the Bayern loan after all might have done him good, he is stronger physically and more commited to his defensive obligations as well; 

- Front three without Suárez is much more athletic and pacy; 

- Messi... seems happy? ;

- Koeman has a much better idea of what he wants from this team than Setién;

- Playing with this motivation and hunger, Barça can definitely fight for La Liga. 

@Carnivore Chris 

Edited by El Profesor
  • Upvote 2