talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Barcelona Discussion

football forum

23 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Some observations from the 1st half of the Girona friendly: 

- Araújo and Trincão are good, they will be important for Barcelona this season; 

- Coutinho looks impressive in the pressing, the Bayern loan after all might have done him good, he is stronger physically and more commited to his defensive obligations as well; 

- Front three without Suárez is much more athletic and pacy; 

- Messi... seems happy? ;

- Koeman has a much better idea of what he wants from this team than Setién;

- Playing with this motivation and hunger, Barça can definitely fight for La Liga. 

@Carnivore Chris 

Araújo, Trincao, Aleñá, Puig, Fati, Pedri...that's actually alot of quality as far as young players are concerned. There is alot of potential there.

Obviously de Jong is still young himself and Lenglet, if partnered with someone better than Pique, would look better.

As for Messi, I don't think he'd ever refuse to play or not give it his all, as he always wants to win. 

The formation Koeman has been using is interesting.

I think this team is very capable of fighting for all the domestic trophies, but the Champs league will be a step too much I think.

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Koeman told Puig he isn't getting much playing time this season. 

A loan would be ideal for Puig, he needs to play regularly and gain more body strenght. Barcelona should find a team that will give him minutes and that has a good structure for him to develop some muscles. 

Ye he's probably not ready yet BUT selling him would be a ridiculous decision, although not surprising with the current board.

A loan to Betis or somewhere of that nature would do him well for a season.

10 hours ago, Danny said:

Brentford maybe :ph34r:

Why not? Toughen him up. Ewood park on a Saturday afternoon 😷

But he definitely shouldn't be sold.

Thing is there is alot of young quality there now so it's about making sure everyone gets minutes.

The big one this year is if Dembélé stays fit because the natural talent is there and he's shown it, but constant injuries have held him back. If he stays fit, there is a player there who could reach Neymar type level for me, but if he doesn't stay fit(which is unfortunately what I'm expecting) then we are probably looking at a player that "could have been".

Fati is a real threat in the air by the way. When you look at him, he doesn't look like s player you'd associate with aerial ability. It makes you wonder if in the future he can be built into that striker or false 9 type role if needed. 

Fati also doesn't play like a 17 year old. Honestly, what a player already. Intelligent off the ball, can play a pass and cross, good dribbler, quick, aerial threat, movement, works hard..

18 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

The big one this year is if Dembélé stays fit because the natural talent is there and he's shown it, but constant injuries have held him back. If he stays fit, there is a player there who could reach Neymar type level for me, but if he doesn't stay fit(which is unfortunately what I'm expecting) then we are probably looking at a player that "could have been".

And that then is exactly why I claim how naturally talented Dembele is. He just skips past players like they aren't there. Now, what would be be like if playing every week and stayed away from injuries for a full season?

• Subscriber
23 hours ago, El Profesor said:

I still think Barcelona will sign a player. Lots of movement, many exits, Koeman will secure at least Gini or Depay, I think. 

If Semedo and one other happens the funds will materialize for Barcelona to be able to make the move. However, doesn't the RFEF also have a cap limit and will all these transfers actually balance the books to allow either of those transfers?

If Semedo leaves though then a right back is massively needed, as Sergi Roberto is seriously poor and there is literally nobody else.

There needs to be atleast a defender brought in as well as there is nobody there. It's a Championship defence at best. Umtiti(who needs selling anyway) is going, Tobido is going out on loan again...So where are the defenders?

Then if Carles Aleña and Puig are loaned out, then that leaves an injury prone Pjanic, a slow past it Busquets and then de Jong, who is of course brilliant and one of the few positives about this side. Where is the depth in this area?

A number 9? If you're selling Suarez, then it has to be in order to bring in a top number 9, or do the club think that a Championship player in Braithwaite is going to do the business?

A lot of young players impressed during pre-season,  but are going to be hurled out of the club in order to play 30+ year old players who were the problem last year.

Suarez still offers more than any number 9 at the club. Whether he's not at his best or not, there isn't any other options, yet he's  been thrown to the curb as if he was just a player, rather than the third top scorer in the club's history. The way he's been treat is a joke. The main ones who needed moving on from are Pique(but then I've said this for years now, so what's the use), Sergi Roberto, who might be from the youth system, but has never been a Barcelona player, Alba(still offers something, but can't play at his A game all the time anymore), and Busquets, who like Alba, can still offer something, but fresh legs are needed. de Jong is the perfect Busquets replacement and now it's about bringing in players to compliment him, or better yet, bleeding young players in. Arthur has been sold without any form of replacement. If a 30 year old Pjanic is that man, then that is embarrassing. I was thinking Puig would be the replacement with Pjanic replacing Rakitic/Vidal in the squad, but Puig has been thrown to the side, Aleña has....Where are all the replacements? Where is the squad? I thought the whole reason for selling Arthur was because of faith in Puig in the first place?

Also Semedo isn't perfect and lacks consistency, but he's far better than Sergi Roberto and unless you have plans of brining in a player to improve this area, then it makes no fucking sense.

The club don't have the money at the moment, but since that's the case, then you replace Pique and Sergi Roberto first(along with Rakitic, Vidal, Umtiti....) not Suarez and Semedo. They could be improved on, but if it comes to choices, then it makes sense to strengthen the areas that MOST need it.

• Upvote 1

On 21/09/2020 at 17:15, Mel81x said:

If Semedo and one other happens the funds will materialize for Barcelona to be able to make the move. However, doesn't the RFEF also have a cap limit and will all these transfers actually balance the books to allow either of those transfers?

I'm not sure about the rules, maybe Chris can explain, but Barça moved some of their highest salaries with all those exits, not to mention the Semedo transfer fee. 

They'll sign at least one of Gini, Dest or Depay. Right now, Dest seems the closest to moving to Barça.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I'm not sure about the rules, maybe Chris can explain, but Barça moved some of their highest salaries with all those exits, not to mention the Semedo transfer fee. 

They'll sign at least one of Gini, Dest or Depay. Right now, Dest seems the closest to moving to Barça.

We still have a week left in the window so I'd imagine they want two out of three based on what @Carnivore Chris just said as there seems to have opened up a lot of gaping holes which they didn't have before (albeit filled with players past their prime). And you're correct with those high salaries moving out they'd definitely be able to balance the wage bill better because I doubt any of Gini, Dest or Depay are coming in at what Suarez was getting.

• Upvote 2

On 23/09/2020 at 19:36, Mel81x said:

We still have a week left in the window so I'd imagine they want two out of three based on what @Carnivore Chris just said as there seems to have opened up a lot of gaping holes which they didn't have before (albeit filled with players past their prime). And you're correct with those high salaries moving out they'd definitely be able to balance the wage bill better because I doubt any of Gini, Dest or Depay are coming in at what Suarez was getting.

As @El Profesor said, alot of it is down to getting high earners off the books, which makes sense in it self, but there needs to be replacements at the same time.

The signing of Dest would make the Semedo sale make more sense. I haven't seen him much but he's a highly rated young player and it'd be interesting to see what he could bring @SirBalon 69 or even @Eco will have seen more of him. Bringing in young talent and giving chances to youth is the way to move forward. I mean Fati is genuinely brilliant for his age. I think the only players of that age group I rated higher/equally were the Brazilian Ronaldo, Messi and Mbappe. That's not to say Fati will reach that level but he's he's certainly showing he could be a real talent. I do actually think Fati could be moulded into a false 9 type player in the future, but he's too young to be given such responsibilities right now.

Wilnaldum would also make sense because even though we've mentioned rejuvenating the team, you do need experience too and he's just recently won the Prem and the Champs league. He's an underrated player. But I'm not sure about Depay. He's improved loads since Man United but he's not the player Barcelona need for me.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

As @El Profesor said, alot of it is down to getting high earners off the books, which makes sense in it self, but there needs to be replacements at the same time.

The signing of Dest would make the Semedo sale make more sense. I haven't seen him much but he's a highly rated young player and it'd be interesting to see what he could bring @SirBalon 69 or even @Eco will have seen more of him. Bringing in young talent and giving chances to youth is the way to move forward. I mean Fati is genuinely brilliant for his age. I think the only players of that age group I rated higher/equally were the Brazilian Ronaldo, Messi and Mbappe. That's not to say Fati will reach that level but he's he's certainly showing he could be a real talent. I do actually think Fati could be moulded into a false 9 type player in the future, but he's too young to be given such responsibilities right now.

Wilnaldum would also make sense because even though we've mentioned rejuvenating the team, you do need experience too and he's just recently won the Prem and the Champs league. He's an underrated player. But I'm not sure about Depay. He's improved loads since Man United but he's not the player Barcelona need for me.

I still think Barcelona get two of the three they want in the end. I've seen some of Fati play and like you I am on the fence about he will turn out. I think he'll do just fine at the club as long as they keep the team fresh and bring in players that fit a system for this growth period they are obviously in. What's your take on Koeman? Good appointment? From all the weird news flying around about how ex-players were treated by him not really sure what to make of it but then again all that is irrelevant as long as the results show on the pitch which I think for the most part are showing.

• Upvote 2

On 25/09/2020 at 17:26, Mel81x said:

I still think Barcelona get two of the three they want in the end. I've seen some of Fati play and like you I am on the fence about he will turn out. I think he'll do just fine at the club as long as they keep the team fresh and bring in players that fit a system for this growth period they are obviously in. What's your take on Koeman? Good appointment? From all the weird news flying around about how ex-players were treated by him not really sure what to make of it but then again all that is irrelevant as long as the results show on the pitch which I think for the most part are showing.

With Koeman, I think he's got what it takes to add new dimensions to the team that has been lacking in recent years and he's also a big advocate of giving youth a chance. But as you said, he has a history of not always getting on with his players which could be a problem. As it stands however, all the signs in pre-season and in the opening game have been very positive.

Fati was also excellent yesterday in that first half and I think all that can really stop him now is injuries as he is already showing alot of maturity in his all-round game for his age, both for club and recently, his country.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...