talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Barcelona Discussion

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Carlos Tusquets - the interim President has come out and said the club should have sold Messi in the summer and allowed him to leave.

He mentioned this whilst discussing the financial situation... I wonder if we will see him leave in January. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Only a matter of time really. Koeman is blatantly obvious just a stop gap until Xavi. 

I don't see what Xavi or anyone would really do with this squad to be fair. Add all the injuries. It's going to take time and to be honest, it's needed. Spending ridiculous amounts on shite like Griezmann, Coutinho, Lenglet, etc, etc, etc hasn't worked and building with youth for the future is needed for me, even if it means enduring a few rough years. The whole reliance on Messi has ended. In the past 3 or so years, it was pretty much all him and it's time to rebuild a young team of players who understand each other again. 

Players like Fati, Pedri, Zest and Araujo all make for a potential bright future and Ter Stegen and de Jong are top quality, but the rest of the team is battered and old. It's a mix of young players nowhere near their prime and then a bunch of old battered ones past their sell by date. It's going to take time to rebuild and especially with the lack of finances at the present. That defence definitely needs work especially. I'd say 3 Centre backs and a left back, a striker and a midfielder were all needed. 

That attacking midfield role would be perfect for Messi at this stage if there was a top striker and another wide man(to compliment Fati) in front of him with a top midfielder to partner de Jong behind him. But I think Messi will be off after this season and we'll be seeing him with Neymar in France next season. Probably for the best all round though.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we forget how amazing this fella was at times because of the lack of longevity, we'd already saw the best of him once he'd reached 27, but in those inicial years for Barcelona(and before that) he brought so many joys to the club, and the sport in general. One of those players that nobody could dislike. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I think we forget how amazing this fella was at times because of the lack of longevity, we'd already saw the best of him once he'd reached 27, but in those inicial years for Barcelona(and before that) he brought so many joys to the club, and the sport in general. One of those players that nobody could dislike. 

Now there was a player that dribbled, took players on and didn’t fall over like a fanny at the first sight of contact.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

They will be fine with the debt. Sell a few players and prompt the promising young players that they have. 

it’s a staggering amount, but I don’t think for one second that they’ll be in any kind of serious trouble. They’ll find a way out of it. 

2 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

They will be fine with the debt. Sell a few players and prompt the promising young players that they have. 

it’s a staggering amount, but I don’t think for one second that they’ll be in any kind of serious trouble. They’ll find a way out of it. 

Ter Stegen, De Jong, Pedri, Fati, Dest, Araújo, Puig...keep these, build on it with young players and within a few years there will be a competitive team again, that can win leagues and give a good showing in the Champions. Maybe not a dominant side like the one containing Messi, Alves, Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta, but that team was a once in a lifetime, you'll never get another Barcelona team like that again in our time I don't think. 

Dembélé is looking fitter and stronger all the time himself. If he stays away from injury (which seems to be the case now) then he can be one of the stand out names in Europe in the coming years. 

This is actually a better group of players than given credit for, but they are still young and learning. The more they play together, the better they develop. 

The defence has been the biggest issue, with many silly mistakes that cost games, although that can even improve with the personnel currently at the club as they are young lads who are still learning. I also rate Eric García, he hasn't been given the chance for City but looked assuring for his age for Spain when I saw him and he'll fit in better back at home.

The midfield isn't short of talent and the attack is only really a striker away from being an exciting front line. 

I wouldn't rule Messi out in staying either as it's not just about him, but his family, who don't want to leave Barcelona. It's all about who comes in as president and the progression shown before the end of the season. Atlético are too far ahead to be caught now, after another convincing victory last night in the 3-1 against Valencia and the Champions league will be a big ask with such a young and new team. But a win in the Copa del Rey is possible and would help the development of this team and show promise.

Then again, in terms of Messi, the problem could be paying him and it may be more beneficial for the future for him to leave unfortunately. The problem is, he'll go to PSG to be with his bum boy Neymar, likely with Sergio Ramos following him if reports are to be believed. That'd be quite sad as they are a horrible club and It'd be better to see him at Bayern(I don't think the Prem would be a wise move at this stage of his career), but Bayern don't tend to buy old players, even ones of that quality. Saying that, Messi, Neymar and Mbappe with Ramos would be an exciting side at the same time.

De Jong is also showing alot of maturity now. He bossed the game yesterday. 

As for the debts, it's a huge worry but there could be way to solve the issue as you mentioned. What will definitely change is the big money signings going in, although It could work out as a blessing as the transfer policy of buying anyone with talent didn't work, a proper rebuild of youngsters was needed. A team with an identity who develop playing together, gathering an understanding.

It's a shame the club couldn't buy a player like Haaland or Mbappe, along with an experienced defender though, as they alone would make a big difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

627041535cf3a83810908555b445f7018a01732e

Massive improvement in form since the start of this year. 10 wins from 11, with the only defeat suffered against Athletic Club de Bilbao in the Supercopa de España final. 

The defensive errors are problematic and if they could be tightened up, then this team could give pretty much anyone a run for their money.

Alot of quality in this side, most of which are very young players. Keeping this team together gives a lot of hope for the near future.

Messi will be a huge loss if he goes as it's not just the goals he scores, but the defence splitting passes he makes which lead to goals, and his play in general. He's not one of the younger players in the squad, but still has alot left to offer.

Dembélé is also finally staying fit now and the likes of Pedri, Araújo, Puig, Dest and Fati(when back) have very big futures. Griezmann looks a different player recently and De Jong is everywhere, a very complete and we'll rounded midfielder. Alba still offers plenty and Ter Stegen is the best keeper in the world. A much better side than given credit for, just a dodgy defence. Also not the deepest of squads, which could lead to burning the players out.

• 2 weeks later...

It's an exciting day today, hopefully the start of the new era as the Bartomeu reign finally comes to an end. This period has arguably been the darkest in Barcelona history, but that hopefully changes today. 

I'm torn between Laporta and Font, so wouldn't be upset with either of those choices. Hoping that Koeman is sacked with immediate effect too, but perhaps that's me being too optimistic.

5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

It's an exciting day today, hopefully the start of the new era as the Bartomeu reign finally comes to an end. This period has arguably been the darkest in Barcelona history, but that hopefully changes today. 

I'm torn between Laporta and Font, so wouldn't be upset with either of those choices. Hoping that Koeman is sacked with immediate effect too, but perhaps that's me being too optimistic.

Font is the candidate (supposedly) bringing in Xavi as coach and Puyol as the new head of their youth development, right?

Seems like a nice thing to have as an election pledge, going a bit like Ajax / Bayern, but seems a huge gamble to make.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Font is the candidate (supposedly) bringing in Xavi as coach and Puyol as the new head of their youth development, right?

Seems like a nice thing to have as an election pledge, going a bit like Ajax / Bayern, but seems a huge gamble to make.

Correct, that's why I wanted Font initially, but it's been said that he doesn't actually have the backing of Xavi, Puyol etc and has just said it for voter backing. 

The Ajax Way is quite literally The Barcelona Way. Bringing in people like Xavi, Puyol, Iniesta, Pique (should be backroom once retiring) will get the back where they belong - while looking to La Masia not abroad. 

Edited by Whiskey
  • Upvote 1