talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Barcelona Discussion

football forum

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Leaders will lead regardless of an armband.

People may be going on about Barça's extensive squad for next season but for me there it's now plainly obvious there is a big hole in terms of natural leadership.  In recent years Puyol, Xavi and now Iniesta have all departed.

Just now, SirBalon said:

People may be going on about Barça's extensive squad for next season but for me there it's now plainly obvious there is a big hole in terms of natural leadership.  In recent years Puyol, Xavi and now Iniesta have all departed.

I never really considered Xavi or Iniesta leaders, outside of 'lead by example'. It has to be Busquets for me. But ya know, different people respond differently to various leadership characteristics. Some people like the alpha male, barking out orders like a cunt (Roy Keane), others respect the composed and cool heads of players like Zanetti, and others respond to the passion of Terry and Puyol.

Just now, Cannabis said:

It means that they live and breathe the club, know it's traditions and it's philosophies. Playing for Barcelona for Sergi Roberto isn't a job, it's a way of life that only certain players understand, that's why he plays for free. He would run through a brick wall if it benefitted the team and only a handful of players can truly say that. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

It means that they live and breathe the club, know it's traditions and it's philosophies. Playing for Barcelona for Sergi Roberto isn't a job, it's a way of life that only certain players understand. He would run through a brick wall if it benefitted the team and only a handful of players can truly say that. 

As if you know him. You're talking out your arse

Just now, Cannabis said:

Rubbish. 

If Barcelona couldn't pay their players obscene amounts of cash, they would've fucked off years ago. Even if they won every competition under the sun, if they had the wage budget of Rayo Vallecano, none of these players would be around.

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

I never really considered Xavi or Iniesta leaders, outside of 'lead by example'. It has to be Busquets for me. But ya know, different people respond differently to various leadership characteristics. Some people like the alpha male, barking out orders like a cunt (Roy Keane), others respect the composed and cool heads of players like Zanetti, and others respond to the passion of Terry and Puyol.

I know what you’re getting at in terms of the type of character we traditionally associate with leadership in sport. But at Barcelona (I know how this is going to sound) it’s different and requires moderation instead of a pick-me-up type aggression. For all of Puyol’s 100% all heart, he was a moderator and kept egos at bay. Look at the issues that always keep arising within the dressing room at Real Madrid... That’s something that hardly ever occurs for these reasons. 

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

If Barcelona couldn't pay their players obscene amounts of cash, they would've fucked off years ago. Even if they won every competition under the sun, if they had the wage budget of Rayo Vallecano, none of these players would be around.

True, but they can pay them that much and funnily enough some of them could be earning more in the Premier League for example (here talking about those that came from the academy). They’re paid very well but they want to do it all there if they feel they’re a part of it and getting minutes. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

Wages are part and parcel of being at a big club though so that's not really an argument. I'm not just saying that this is specific to Barcelona either, there are players that live and breathe other clubs; Totti at Roma, Terry at Chelsea, Scholes at United. 

No, huge wages aren't part and parcel of being at a big club. I don't think River Club could afford some of their alumni's wages, no? lmao They are live and breathe money. It's easy to be loyal with millions in the bank account. Antonio di Natale impresses me with his loyalty to Udinese, not Totti's loyalty to Roma's cheques.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

True, but they can pay them that much and funnily enough some of them could be earning more in the Premier League for example (here talking about those that came from the academy). They’re paid very well but they want to do it all there if they feel they’re a part of it and getting minutes. 

The difference between Rayo's wage and Barcelona's is from here to the moon, while Barcelona's and the Premier League's is a taint's width. 

€1,000p/w vs €300,000p/w 

Besides most normal people would prefer to live in sunny Barcelona, that fucking Manchester or Liverpool; I'm sure a huge amount of people would choose €300,000p/w over €400,000p/w just for the location. I know I'd choose a smaller astronomical wage if I was living in LA over fucking Edmonton. xD

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

No, huge wages aren't part and parcel of being at a big club. I don't think River Club could afford some of their alumni's wages, no? lmao They are live and breathe money. It's easy to be loyal with millions in the bank account. Antonio di Natale impresses me with his loyalty to Udinese, not Totti's loyalty to Roma's cheques.

Indeed Di Natale’s loyalty is more impressive and to be frank it’s ultimately impressive by any type of comparison. But there is a massive wage gap even at the biggest clubs. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Indeed Di Natale’s loyalty is more impressive and to be frank it’s ultimately impressive by any type of comparison. But there is a massive wage gap even at the biggest clubs. 

When we get into obscene amounts of money, it's just splitting hairs. There is a bigger different between the lifestyle of €1,000p/w vs. €2,000p/w as opposed to €100,000p/w and €200,000p/w. People are loyal to their own happiness, not clubs. For someone like Totti, I think it can be complicated. His family would probably get murdered if he had ever left Roma, haha.

14 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Piqué will never be first captain at Barça for the simple reason that he's too vocal and straight after proved this after being asked the question in what he felt being nominated as one of the 4 captains.  He said that he will continue to speak his mind!

For those that don't know, the captains at Barcelona are named by the players in a vote and not the coach or anyone in the technical department.

Hes retired from international football now. Only 31. It feels like he should be much older. 

6 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Hes retired from international football now. Only 31. It feels like he should be much older. 

Yeah, I was going to write a nice piece on his international career when he confirmed it yesterday but I didn’t have the amount of time I would’ve wished. Maybe during the week I’ll do it.

He’d already announced that this would be occurring two years ago and last week he spoke with Luis Enrique face to face and reiterated that he would be maintaining his decision.

I have an inkling (mentioned it at the end of last season) that this will be his final season as a footballer overall. 

Messi is the correct choice for captain without a doubt and now is the right time. When Puyol retired, it was always going to go Xavi, followed by Iniesta then Messi and they were all the correct decisions. As are the current 2nd-4th choice for me, maybe all you would change for that is Pique and Busquets being 2rd and 3rd choices respectively.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

Dani Alves issues a bit of humorous banter at Lionel Messi after Barcelona won the Supercopa de España which put Messi on 33 career winning honours (only the ones won collectively playing football count in this debate).

Alves reminds Messi who has the most (himself obviously) on 37 career winning medals.

• Like 1

MUNDODEPORTIVO_G_191002260-kC6H-U4513228

Boca Juniors to play their sixth Joan Gamper Trophy

It will be the 6th time Argentinian football club Boca Juniors will be participating in Barça's pre season tournament, the Joan Gamper Trophy.

Boca played their first Gamper in 1967 where they lost in the semi-finals against Atlético Madrid by 2-0 and then won their game for third place against Bayern Munich by 1-0.

10 years later in 1977 Boca were again invited by FC Barcelona and again fell in the semi-final stage this time against Schalke 04 by 0-1.  Again Boca Juniors ended third in the tournament by winning the play-off against Slovan Bratislava by 1-0.

In 1984 Boca Juniors returned to participate in yet another edition of the Joan Gamper Trophy where finally they got to play Barça in the semi-final stage but once again fell in the pun ultimate challenge but this time by a lambasting 9-1... (Pictured above) we see the then Boca goalkeeper Hugo "Loco" Gatti concede the ninth goal in that mauling.  Again Boca finished third in the summer tournament where they beat Aston Villa in the third place play-off by 2-0.

The next time Boca Juniors were invited since 1984 was in 2003 where the format for the Joan Gamper had now changed due to pre season commitments for big clubs in Europe meaning long arduous tours around the world.  Now it was just one game and one team invited which in this case Boca were that team...  That game ended 1-1 and the tournament winner was decided on a penalty shoot-out which had Barça win with a final penalty scored by Gerard López.

The last participation before this year's yet to be played was in 2008. Barcelona one the singular game 2-1 with goals from Carles Puyol and Samuel Eto'o for Barça.

i'm watching it now on Eleven Sports and it looks as though Terry Gibson has already jumped ship to them? @SirBalon

Unfortunately he was probably the worst commentator on Sky, dull as fuck :ph34r:

One thing Sky never did is air shit like the Gamper trophy. So Eleven Sports are definitely doing nice things thus far. I haven't suffered yet with the rebuffering that people complain about either, although maybe in the big games there may be problems, we will see.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

8 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

i'm watching it now on Eleven Sports and it looks as though Terry Gibson has already jumped ship to them? @SirBalon

Unfortunately he was probably the worst commentator on Sky, dull as fuck :ph34r:

One thing Sky never did is air shit like the Gamper trophy. So Eleven Sports are definitely doing nice things thus far. I haven't suffered yet with the rebuffering that people complain about either, although maybe in the big games there may be problems, we will see.

Have you subscribed to Eleven Sports already mate?

I'm watching it on BarçaTV