• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steven Gerrard Agrees to Manage Rangers

football forum

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

He's only been in the job for such a short time I can't imagine him saying he'd go coach at another club and I hope he doesn't either. Having these kinds of figures at the club is great for the dressing room morale and hes one of their own why would he want to go somewhere else unless there is zero chance he will ever be a part of the first team's management system (which I think he will be eventually). 

Having said that a challenge at another club might be good somewhere down the road but this isn't the time and I really hope he says no.

17 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It’s a pretty safe job. He’ll not be expected to overtake Celtic anytime soon but if he does he’ll become a hero. Then he can come back and manage us when Klopp retires. 

If he fails he can come back and pick up where he left off managing our youths. 

38 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It’s a pretty safe job. He’ll not be expected to overtake Celtic anytime soon but if he does he’ll become a hero. Then he can come back and manage us when Klopp retires. 

If he fails he can come back and pick up where he left off managing our youths. 

Bingo.

This is ever so interesting. For me, Gerrard has made a fair few decision mistakes throughout his career. What he does here will illuminate if he is brighter than his BT Sport performances.

Part of me thinks he is only being linked with the position because of his time with\relationship with the Celtic manager.

We will see.

I think it could be a good appointment. I don’t think Warburton or Murty ever had the personal charisma to really get the squad behind them. And Pedro was just weird. Gerrard, for all his inexperience, at least knows that he can count on even the senior players’ respect.

As for how good a coach he is, who knows? He at least seems a bit open-minded and inquisitive about improving himself, and that’s a good start.

Im not really worried about Rangers taking a dramatic leap forward but I think it will be good for him, good for Rangers’ profile, and probably stabilise things behind the scenes finally.

38 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Seems a strange one to begin with, Rangers seem a long way away from Celtic still and he's not going to get much credit for finishing second. 

Yeah, I'd avoid this one if I was Gerrard.

Rangers os a reasonable place to start out to be honest. You have better players that the majority of the opposition. A chance to shape his own style and learn what works well and what doesn't. Then when he is ready he can move to a league two club. :ph34r:

Seems a bit unfair. Don't think there manager has done a bad job and he really wants it and Gerrard is just using it as a springbourd

9 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Rangers os a reasonable place to start out to be honest. You have better players that the majority of the opposition. A chance to shape his own style and learn what works well and what doesn't. Then when he is ready he can move to a league two club. :ph34r:

Blue square premier north maybe

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'd rather have him stay with us and learn from Klopp, but it's a fairly safe place to start.

Agree. Rangers is a decent launching pad but I'd prefer a bit more time in the current setup first. Don't do a gary neville and rush it

22 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Seems a bit unfair. Don't think there manager has done a bad job and he really wants it and Gerrard is just using it as a springbourd

Probably but his already high public  profile and that relationship he has with BR would provide a boost in marketability to the old firm derbies and could be good for the league.

Feel like you'd want to give this job a swerve. What good can possibly come from it? Rangers will sooner or later expect competition with Celtic, yet they can't compete financially. If they don't get it they will sooner or later give him the sack, fans will get on his back. Just don't see the positives in this job.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Feel like you'd want to give this job a swerve. What good can possibly come from it? Rangers will sooner or later expect competition with Celtic, yet they can't compete financially. If they don't get it they will sooner or later give him the sack, fans will get on his back. Just don't see the positives in this job.

It’s impossible to make this point without sounding like I’m making a jab, but:

Rangers still have a lot to do to establish themselves as Celtic’s closest competition.

I agree that without some major change in ownership, they cannot seriously expect to overtake Celtic, but they’ve hardly hit the ceiling in terms of their current means. If Gerrard could take them to point where they’re clearly ahead of Aberdeen and Hibs, are capable of scoring an underdog Old Firm win and maybe threatening for cups quite regularly, that would be a good job.

If Celtic qualify for the Champions League group stages again next season, the financial gulf between the clubs will continue to grow. Rangers have the slimmest of chances of even coming close to qualifying for the Europa League group stages and it doesn't bring in anything like the same financially. Rangers are already counting the cost of a disastrous transfer window last summer, whether or not they can actually spend any real money this summer remains to be seen (and how it might affect any Financial Fair Play restrictions).

Gerrard would be more of a head coach than a manager, so at least as a first job in charge of a first team, he wouldn't have to deal with transfers and overall running of the club. But he has literally only been a coach for less than a year, what experience has he got of actually organizing a team for a full season? This isn't a personal criticism of him, but it's a huge step up from coaching kids to having that immediate pressure that comes with being at Rangers. The media coverage of Rangers and Celtic is unlike any other club in Britain, only the England manager is probably under more scrutiny. 

Archived