• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steven Gerrard Agrees to Manage Rangers

football forum

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s going to be a disaster. 

Rangers are so far behind Celtic, it’s astonishing. They don’t have the spending power to compete in the short-term and probably have to hope they have some good kids coming through but is that good enough to appease the fans disappointment at being so far behind Celtic and will the board open their wallets or, probably more importantly, be at the club in a year’s time?

I think this is probably the worst place Gerrard could go, tbh. He’d have been better off going to somewhere like Fleetwood Town IMO, where the club is far more stable and expectations aren’t unrealistic. 

Don't know how he'll be as a manager as I've not heard much tactical insight from him as a pundit but maybe he'll be better in action rather than on TV.

An immediate positive for Rangers is of course his link with Liverpool as he could bring in a couple of talented youngsters in on loan on favourable terms. Maybe Solanke can finally score some goals.

Does he even have a philosophy or blue print to match his vision of football? Don't think having his midfielders score rockets from outside the box and dive for penalties counts as tactics. 

Well it's unfortunate that Celtic are so far ahead of Rangers... because I detest Brendan Rodgers and I love Stevie.

But Rangers are crap and so are Celtic. It's just Celtic nowhere near as crap as anyone in their league. It's not an ideal situation to be starting in. Lower league English football would be a better starting point.

However, now based on the managers... this might be the first time in a very very very long time I actually watch the Old Firm derby. I believe Gerrard owes Rodgers a miserable day or two (or an entire lifetime tbh, fuck Rodgers) for the absolute dogshit way his LFC career ended.

Earlier in the week Pat Nevin writing on the BBC brought up the episode of John Barnes being strongly recommended by Kenny Dalglish to become manager of Celtic, which the suits on their board at that time took as gospel and offered him the position. You will need to be of a certain age to remember what happened after. Lets say nobody came out of it smelling of Roses.

When I brought up the above event elsewhere, when it first was said Rangers wanted him, people pointed out Gerrard isnt Barnes and the world has moved on for the better.

For me, its a very brave decision, one I believe he has made far too early in his managerial career, however, it paints a picture that in his own mind, the job and all the baggage which comes with one of the two hot seats in Glasgow isnt going to be too much for him.

I believe management at that level is all about your budget. Celtic are best at the moment because the club is run far better as far as money. Will Gerrard be given money for proper players, or will have to rely on his contacts on Merseyside to bolster his team?

You would have thought he isnt that big of Mug to have signed up with the promise of money, but then again, far better football people than he have been promised the earth only to find out when it came to the transfer window the money was never there.

I like Gerrard the person. He has given me some of the biggest laughs in football. I wish him well, but feel he would have benefitted staying in the far safer environment of Liverpool football club for at least another year.

If nothing else, it seems to be creating headlines.

Gary McAllister seems an excellent choice as his assistant. Always comes across well and seems very knowledgeable about Scottish football and football in general. Will be interesting to see who else will be involved in his managerial team.

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Does he even have a philosophy or blue print to match his vision of football? Don't think having his midfielders score rockets from outside the box and dive for penalties counts as tactics. 

8 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I know there’s the YNWA thing but tbh I’ve never felt like it was that strict. 

Souness was Liverpool-Rangers. You had people like Mo Johnston and Stubbs go between Celtic and Everton.

Yeah, there isn't the divide like Glasgow. In fact Everton were seen as the 'Catholic club' in Liverpool because of their early signing of Irish players. Despite having a Methodist church in their ground. 

Liverpool is a majority Catholic city though, the only large city in the UK to be so. Gerrard is Catholic of Irish heritage too, which I imagine will infuriate the bigots at Rangers

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Yeah, there isn't the divide like Glasgow. In fact Everton were seen as the 'Catholic club' in Liverpool because of their early signing of Irish players. Despite having a Methodist church in their ground. 

Liverpool is a majority Catholic city though, the only large city in the UK to be so. Gerrard is Catholic of Irish heritage too, which I imagine will infuriate the bigots at Rangers

Good, fuck bigots.

I hope he does really really well with them, so it drives them mental because they'll want to love him but their feeble brains won't let them.

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

A lot of people I know back home support Celtic as their second club... like a big majority of them - 2 in fact are probably Celtic supporters more than anything else. A lot of them are gutted that Stevie is now Rangers manager because they want him to do well but want Rangers to continue being shit (which, I don't think Stevie can really change tbh). And some of them are delighted because they're Evertonians who want to see him fail at a club they hate while a club they like wins. My second club was always Tranmere... which Tranmere fans don't really like xD

But back to Stevie & Rangers - there's rumours going around now that he wants to make Martin Skrtel his first signing. I haven't seen Skrtel very much since he left us... but I could see him being a decent signing. Unless he's well past it, then it's just a job for the lads and that doesn't look so good.

Poor Brendan Rodgers. Steven Gerrard killed his title challenge last time and now he's out to do it again the poor sab.

13 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Do English people care enough to 'pick a side'?

I think most of those ‘casuals’ you get in their Stone Islands are Rangers because “God Save The Queen” but I don’t think too many others bother picking a Scottish side, especially not someone that isn’t Celtic or Rangers. 

Part of this article picks up on the history of Liverpool and Celtic/Rangers.

The city’s two fine cathedrals act as symbols of Liverpool’s former religious divide; never as fiercely sectarian as in Glasgow but more keenly felt round these parts in days of yore. Liverpool FC was, historically, the “Protestant” club on Merseyside. A great uncle of mine and staunch Evertonian, Tommy Jones recounted his only venture onto The Kop with his Liverpudlian mates back in the days of Elisha Scott. The sight of an unfamiliar face amid the usual throng begged the question, “Is he one of us?” They weren’t asking if Tommy was a Red.

When Kopites belt out Poor Scouser Tommy, with those emotive connotations of war, heroism and death, most would be unthinking of its origin in the Ulster loyalist tune The Sash, commemorating King William of Orange’s victory over Catholic, King James II of England and Ireland in 1691.

Gradually, over several decades – accelerated by the Celtic light shone by Kenny Dalglish and possibly the Bhoys’ support in the wake of Hillsborough – there was a swing in the albeit tenuous religious leanings of the crowd. The Celtic-Rangers chant from the centre of The Kop, prominent in the early 1980s, harked back to days when creed mattered more on the terraces, but by then was more or less split down the middle. A few years on, amid the bobble hat explosion of 1984-85, Celtic’s green was more abundant than Rangers’ blue.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/10/dreams-and-songs-to-sing-how-the-anfield-songbook-has-evolved-down-the-years/

• 5 weeks later...

Archived