• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Rafa Benitez Contract Talks to Commence

Recommended Posts

Rafa Benitez says he has held initial discussions with Newcastle about his and the club's future, revealing further negotiations are scheduled for next week.

Having surpassed the 40-point mark in the Premier League with four games remaining and the club's safety secured, Benitez will be keen to discuss how he wishes to strengthen his squad for next season.

But the former Liverpool manager, who has a year left on his deal, refused to offer specific detail on the talks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christian Atsu insists Newcastle United “need” Rafa Benitez to stay - and the winger hopes to work with the Magpies manager on Tyneside “for many years”.

Benitez’s representatives initiated talks with Newcastle managing director Lee Charnley last week concerning the Spaniard’s future - as well as other wide-ranging issues, including the size of transfer budget which will be made available this summer - and those discussions are continuing.

Newcastle supporters are eager for positive news to emerge from the talks, with Magpies fans desperate for Benitez to remain at the club long term.

The Spaniard led United to promotion as Championship winners during his first full season in charge, while he has guided the Magpies to Premier League survival with time to spare this term - an achievement which has led some pundits to suggest Benitez should be in line for the League Managers Association Manager of the Year award.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/04/2018 at 20:22, Kitchen Sales said:

Being in the last year of his contract is perfect leverage to increase the transfer budget from 2 loan signings to 3.

What do you think of the job he has done so far mate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What do you think of the job he has done so far mate?

His principles and ideas that made him famous and successful are working wonders for us. We are pretty much in every game, we don't get dicked, most games could go either way. He teaches the players to play in phases of the game. Not just the same all the time. It's all about game management and he is probably one of the best in the business at it.

The only reason we were in a relegation battle and a rut before christmas is because we abandoned his principles and went 442 for far too long, also while Lascelles was injured which made it worse. It was bizarre because we didn't go 442 once in the Championship despite the strikers we had (everyone wanted to see Mitro and Gayle together). Rafa also did a talk-in at SJP at the start of the season where one fan suggested 442 and he laughed them off. 

We started the season well. Went into Burnley away where a win would have put us 6th or 7th I think. It was an awful game and neither side could come up with an attack, we lost 1-0 like most teams have against Burnley. Everyone was upset we didn't go at them. Next game we went 442 created loads of chances, missed loads of sitters and got beat. 2 or 3 games later, still playing 442 and not winning we should have went back to Rafa principles but didn't until after about 7 or 8 games. By then we were 1 point off the drop. 

This is my only criticism of him this season because as a team I honestly think of the 2nd league only Burnley have been better than us.

I trust the Rafa way but what we need now is a centre forward who is a constant goal threat. Someone like Demba Ba was for us or Loic Remy. 

Rafa has wanted a striker and a number 10 since the summer. The situation is pretty much still the same. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rafa hates playing 4-4-2, he only does it in desperation. 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-1-1 (which he says he views as the same, just one is with the ball and one without).

I love Rafa. He's a good man as well as a good manager. I'm happy he's with a club where the fans like him.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

His principles and ideas that made him famous and successful are working wonders for us. We are pretty much in every game, we don't get dicked, most games could go either way. He teaches the players to play in phases of the game. Not just the same all the time. It's all about game management and he is probably one of the best in the business at it.

The only reason we were in a relegation battle and a rut before christmas is because we abandoned his principles and went 442 for far too long, also while Lascelles was injured which made it worse. It was bizarre because we didn't go 442 once in the Championship despite the strikers we had (everyone wanted to see Mitro and Gayle together). Rafa also did a talk-in at SJP at the start of the season where one fan suggested 442 and he laughed them off. 

We started the season well. Went into Burnley away where a win would have put us 6th or 7th I think. It was an awful game and neither side could come up with an attack, we lost 1-0 like most teams have against Burnley. Everyone was upset we didn't go at them. Next game we went 442 created loads of chances, missed loads of sitters and got beat. 2 or 3 games later, still playing 442 and not winning we should have went back to Rafa principles but didn't until after about 7 or 8 games. By then we were 1 point off the drop. 

This is my only criticism of him this season because as a team I honestly think of the 2nd league only Burnley have been better than us.

I trust the Rafa way but what we need now is a centre forward who is a constant goal threat. Someone like Demba Ba was for us or Loic Remy. 

Rafa has wanted a striker and a number 10 since the summer. The situation is pretty much still the same. 

I think if you stick with him he can get you challenging for top 7 or even 6. The only problem you may have is if the fans turn against him. Like I said in another thread football fans are so impatient in now days. It takes time to build a club

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rafa will have you lot pushing for the Europa next year if he's properly backed. Rumours that we'll go for him this summer but I just don't think he'd come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see Rafa elevate Newcastle back towards where they belong. 

They really do need to back him with transfers but a manageable number of quality players rather than a hugely turned over starting 11. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the thing with opening up and deviating from his usual approach was maybe down to being if anything a bit surprised at how well the early season went. The chance was seemingly there to get a few wins and take most of the pressure off before the New Year, which I don't think anybody saw as possible in the summer with the business Newcastle had done (or not done).

If he's allowed to get a few of his targets in I'm sure Newcastle can establish themselves as a stable upper-mid-table team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumors he's off to Napoli if Sarri comes to us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Rumors he's off to Napoli if Sarri comes to us 

I thought they didn't like him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Rumors he's off to Napoli if Sarri comes to us 

I doubt he heads back there. No love lost between him and their owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's always linked with clubs, but he is our manager for personal reasons. He wants to be in England near his family. 

He said he wants to be here for 10 years, at the very least he said that the aim was survive first year, top 10 second, Europe third. I'd be surprised if someone who likes plans and stability jacks in his plan when it is going well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Captain Jamaal Lascelles says Newcastle must do all they can to keep manager Rafa Benitez at the club and happy.

Newcastle could finish in the top half in the Premier League after Benitez led them back to the top flight at the first attempt last season, though the Spaniard has not hidden his dissatisfaction at the funds available at the club in the past year.

Benitez's contract has a year to run, but he has offered no update on his future, and Lascelles says the manager has done so much for the club and the city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rafa Benitez says he is having conversations with Newcastle and "trying" to resolve his future after securing a 10th-place finish.

Newcastle saw off Chelsea with a comfortable 3-0 victory at St James' Park on Sunday, meaning they finish in the top half just 12 months after being promoted back to the Premier League.

Speculation surrounding Benitez's future has been rife, with a year remaining on his contract but guarantees over funds available still not made, and the Spaniard says he is hopeful they can make a breakthrough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement