talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best 21st Century Lineup

football forum

Something that could start a good debate, what is your best 21st century lineup?

For my team, I will not include players I haven't seen, or was too young to remember. So no Zinedine Zidane on mine.

Neuer

Lahm - Cannavaro - Bonucci - Marcelo

Pirlo - Xavi

Messi - Iniesta - CR7

Ronaldo Nazario

My reasons for including Bonucci before anyone gets to me: I was too young to remember Lucio and have seen few matches of them on the old world cup matches, and Bonucci despite his awful season at AC Milan, has been a very solid defender the past couple of years and is probably one of the best in this short century. Those 2 seasons he put together in the UCL final in 2014-15 and 2016-17 were his 2 best in my opinion. Marcelo a close one over Roberto Carlos. Everyone from Pirlo above were obvious choices though.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also @Cicero its your personal opinion and that's fine, but Ashley Cole over Carlos and Marcelo is bold no? Unless you perhaps wanted a more balanced European left back, unlike the attacking samba like full backs from Brazil.

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Also @Cicero its your personal opinion and that's fine, but Ashley Cole over Carlos and Marcelo is bold no? Unless you perhaps wanted a more balanced European left back, unlike the attacking samba like full backs from Brazil.

Ashley Cole could defend and attack. Roberto Carlos is over rated and Marcelo is an average 'defender', considering he started off as a winger. 

Was the very reason why Ronaldo had a poor record against us. 

• Administrator

Buffon 

Lahm - Puyol - Maldini - Cole

Iniesta - Xavi 

Messi - Ronaldinho - Cristiano 

Ronaldo 

Buffon 

Lahm - Samuel - Godín - Marcelo

Iniesta - Pirlo

van Nistelrooy

Honourable mentions: Casillas, Neuer, Kaká, Eto´o, Xavi, Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Totti, Schweinsteiger, Sneijder, Zlatan, Robben and many others I have certainly forgotten.

I´m leaving out Ronaldo Nazário because in my opinion his peak was at Barcelona and his first season at Inter, still in the 20th century. The same reasoning applies to Zidane and Figo, their careers are spread, so it´s tough to put them in a 21st century only team. 

8 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

No idea who Nazario is so googled him and he's a mexican drug lord who died in 2014 o.O:rofl:

Some say the Bolivian Pablo Escobar who plays for The Strongest is the real Escobar :ph34r:

2 hours ago, El_Loco said:

Buffon 

Lahm - Samuel - Godín - Marcelo

Iniesta - Pirlo

van Nistelrooy

Honourable mentions: Casillas, Neuer, Kaká, Eto´o, Xavi, Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Totti, Schweinsteiger, Sneijder, Zlatan, Robben and many others I have certainly forgotten.

I´m leaving out Ronaldo Nazário because in my opinion his peak was at Barcelona and his first season at Inter, still in the 20th century. The same reasoning applies to Zidane and Figo, their careers are spread, so it´s tough to put them in a 21st century only team. 

I'd say you could also make a very strong case for Luis Suarez. He's not the same these days but between 2013-2017 he was sensational.

Casillas

Lahm          Maldini          Puyol        R. Carlos

Busquets

Xavi                Iniesta

Messi                                   Ronaldinho

C. Ronaldo

Honourable mentions to Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Buffon, Van Der Saar, Rivaldo, Ashley Cole, Thierry Henry, Inzaghi, Zanetti, Raúl, Robben, Godín, Suárez, Schweinsteiger, Vieira, Blanc, Xabi Alonso, Kluivert and many others I can't think of right now and will probably feel ashamed on reminding me,. Infact I hate myself for not putting Bergkamp in and the only reason I opted for Ronaldinho is because Bergkamp's time spanned between both millennia.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I'd say you could also make a very strong case for Luis Suarez. He's not the same these days but between 2013-2017 he was sensational.

Indeed. He´s one of the best players of his generation. 

A guy who I had completely forgotten but could get a mention is Carlos Tévez. His career management is terrible and it may have hurt his legacy, but the dude was good for a long time and he´s won everything at club level. I still remember his 2003 Libertadores final performance against Santos at Morumbi, he was amazing that night. At his peak, Carlitos was a beast.

Another argentinian player, I´ve always liked is Cambiasso. He was really good for a long time at Internazionale. 

Cech

carragher       terry            cole 

Makalele

C Ronaldo  Gerrard  Lampard   Silva

Henry            Suarez

It hasn't been long but this is insanely tough... will go with the XI who jumped into my head first. It's also tough for those who played across the 90s and 00s...

Casillas

Lahm    Nesta        Maldini       R.Carlos

Pirlo 

Kaka         Ronaldinho     Rivaldo 

C.Ronaldo      Messi 

Special mentions to: Zidane Henry Figo Beckham Scholes original Ronaldo and like one million more. Damn that's so tough. 

VDS

Lahm - Maldini - Puyol - Cole

Busquets

Xavi - Zidane

Messi - Ronaldo - Iniesta

Obviously missing the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo etc but I don't think you could miss out that Barce midfield 3 or Zidane and  so those midfielders/forwards miss out to Messi and Ronaldo.

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Cech

carragher       terry            cole 

Makalele

C Ronaldo  Gerrard  Lampard   Silva

Henry            Suarez

The question is what's the best team you can formulate from the 21st century mate. Not about leagues!

but incidentally... You put 5 La Liga players in the when you attempted not to do it.  :ph34r:

Neuer

Lahm Puyol Nesta Maldini

Busquets

Seedorf     Xavi

Iniesta

Messi       Henry

Edit: Could also line-up in a 3-4-3 with Lahm in midfield and Iniesta in the frontline.

Buffon

Lahm          Puyol        Terry        Maldini

Busquets

Xavi                Iniesta

Messi                                   Ronaldinho

C. Ronaldo

I didn't add the likes of Ronaldo and Zidane as their careers expanded over 2 centuries and I'm not sure they are more deserving than any of the current candidates if speaking this century alone. Maldini on the otherhand did plenty in just this century alone, so I had to have him.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived