The better place to talk football.

Best 21st Century Lineup

football forum

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

She's not as innocent as we all originally thought ;)

she was talking about lingerie earlier and I had to take a minute. 

Lineups are fucking shithouse, because a person could do a lineup of 10-0-0 and pick ten defenders.

GK: Cech
LB/WB: Ashley Cole
RB/WB: Philipp Lahm
CB: John Terry (I really think he is underrated because of who he is)
DM: Sergio Busquets
CM: Andres Iniesta
AM: Ronaldinho
LW/LF: Cristiano Ronaldo
RW/RF: Lionel Messi
CF: David Villa

It's stupid though as I think 'well, David Villa was really good at and X/Y but Shevchenko was better at Z'. The only players I feel comfortable picking are Ashley Cole, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Lionel Messi. I could easily pick Rio Ferdinand as CB, or Carles Puyol. Esteban Cambiasso is severely forgotten about as a wonderful DM, although he was definitely more offensive than Busquets. Or is it okay to Ronaldinho as an 'AM' when he played mainly out left? Does the AM/Classic #10 even exist anymore? Outside of Ozil and maybe Isco they don't really exist.

Also we could argue about peak vs. reliability/longevity. For instance Maicon at his peak was superior to Alves but his flustered out far quicker.

On 28/04/2018 at 00:35, SirBalon said:

Casillas

Lahm          Maldini          Puyol        R. Carlos

Busquets

Xavi                Iniesta

Messi                                   Ronaldinho

C. Ronaldo

Honourable mentions to Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Buffon, Van Der Saar, Rivaldo, Ashley Cole, Thierry Henry, Inzaghi, Zanetti, Raúl, Robben, Godín, Suárez, Schweinsteiger, Vieira, Blanc, Xabi Alonso, Kluivert and many others I can't think of right now and will probably feel ashamed on reminding me,. Infact I hate myself for not putting Bergkamp in and the only reason I opted for Ronaldinho is because Bergkamp's time spanned between both millennia.

You need to put Bergkamp in :( 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Do you lot seriously remember Robert Carlos defending? 

Well I can't think of anyone better. The only one would be Ashley Cole at the hight of his career because Roberto Carlos was 50 times the player Marcelo is or ever has been and yet Marcelo has been lauded much more.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Cicero said:

Do you lot seriously remember Robert Carlos defending? 

5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Well I can't think of anyone better. The only one would be Ashley Cole at the hight of his career because Roberto Carlos was 50 times the player Marcelo is or ever has been and yet Marcelo has been lauded much more.

i also thought of Ashley Cole but I'm selecting Carlos for the way he played in that Brazil side, not just necessarily on his defensive capabilities. And the fact that he's won World Cups with Brazil too and he was one of the iconic players of that generation for Brazil.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

i also thought of Ashley Cole but I'm selecting Carlos for the way he played in that Brazil side, not just necessarily on his defensive capabilities. And the fact that he's won World Cups with Brazil too and he was one of the iconic players of that generation for Brazil.

He was also no mug defensively. Much more superior to Marcelo but was no mug going forward either. 

Have to agree with @Cicero on Ashley Cole. Absolutely world class and you wouldn't find a more consistent player. Him and Lahm are far and away the best full backs of the last decade/15 years.

Also Cole had the rare talent of actually turning in top class performances for England as well.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

I still remember when an 18 year old messi practically ended Roberto Carlos' career 

True, but Messi is not of this world and is potentially the greatest ever player. Roberto Carlos as good as he was, is a mortal. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

True, but Messi is not of this world and is potentially the greatest ever player. Roberto Carlos as good as he was, is a mortal. 

If you want a more balanced LB, you go with Ashley Cole. 

You really cannot argue against that. Roberto Carlos for me is one of the most over hyped players in my life time. I'd even have Irwin ahead of him. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

If you want a more balanced LB, you go with Ashley Cole. 

You really cannot argue against that. Roberto Carlos for me is one of the most over hyped players in my life time. I'd even have Irwin ahead of him. 

I said it was between Ashley Cole and Roberto Carlos for me.

But I don’t agree that R. Carlos was overhyped... Marcelo is very overhyped, probably the most overhyped player at the top end ever. 

21 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

But I don’t agree that R. Carlos was overhyped... Marcelo is very overhyped, probably the most overhyped player at the top end ever. 

Totally disagree. Marcelo is one of the best LBs of his generation, if not the best. I know his defending is questionable, at times non-existent, but what he offers Real Madrid in the attack is a big part of their success. 

In this case, he´s so good at what he does best that you take the good with the bad.  

42 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

Totally disagree. Marcelo is one of the best LBs of his generation, if not the best. I know his defending is questionable, at times non-existent, but what he offers Real Madrid in the attack is a big part of their success. 

In this case, he´s so good at what he does best that you take the good with the bad.  

Which is why it baffles me when people over look that aspect, especially when analysing a lineup such as this. 

Marcelo isn't even a LB by trade, as he was naturally a winger. He, along with Roberto Carlos, are quality 'footballers', but no way would I rank them among the best ever 'defenders'. 

Being a leftback includes defending and Marcelo is one of the worst fullbacks I have seen at the top end of football where defending is in question. The question here isn’t what’s good for Real Madrid and their style... It’s about the best in their position which includes their duties. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Gio was the best left back :ph34r:

Archived