talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Claude Puel to Leave Leicester?

Leicester manager Claude Puel says it is not the right moment to discuss his future and believes the players are still behind him.

Puel's position is under increasing scrutiny following the 5-0 defeat at Crystal Palace, their worst result of the season.

They have won just four of their last 18 fixtures but the Leicester boss is refusing to talk about his future.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

lose against West Ham at home next week and wouldn't surprise me if he's given the boot.

He has a project and philosophy about how things should be done and how he believes success should be built but 1) most of our fans have become so entitled after 15/16 that they don't have the patience for it and 2) it may get to the point where the owners lose patience. 

Regarding the second point, you have to beg the question on what the owners expected of Puel given how he usually goes about his business or if he was given false promises. 

4 wins from 18 is pretty shite but up until a few weeks ago we were on the brink of being in serious contention of finishing 7th. Results have taken a downturn since then and we've screwed ourselves over in the league let alone not taking our chance for FA Cup success. What we have to keep in mind is that Puel's only been here since October and it'd be harsh to sack him when he's not got been given the chance to get players in who match his philosophy. He started off well enough and took us well clear of relegation which is where we were headed with Shakespeare. But when results can't paper over some of the cracks in the performances there's bound to be questions asked.

There's also question of some players downing tools or simply not being good enough any more and unable to match the standards of a couple of seasons ago. It doesn't help that Puel's choice of personnel in some of his squads have been debatable. However the attitude of some of the players should be questioned and because of this attitude it has led to below-par performances. 

Personally I think he should be given the summer and given a chance to prove himself. 6 months is no time to prove yourself in this league and it's as if should you not get instant success you're totally doomed or at least already facing an uphill battle. But Puel's battle was made difficult given he has some players who just aren't used to a slow-tempo, defensive-minded possession-based tactic. 

If anything, changes need to be made further up the heirarchy. For me, Jon Rudkin has outstayed his welcome. Far too many bad decisions compared to good ones for the club. I fear if we sack Puel we will definitely find ourselves where Southampton are if we don't get the next appointment right. I fear some managers who we could have realistically got will see it as a poisoned chalice if they come here. They'll see how some fans treat a manager if it doesn't continue to go well. They'll see how ruthless and cynical our owners could potentially be if things start turning. I've wanted Rafa Benitez for ages, even before we got Ranieri. I think he's a quality manager and would suit us perfectly. But I think even we'd screw him over no matter how well he did with us because as soon as we lose a few or performances go downhill, the fickle fans turn as well.

I hope Puel doesn't leave/get sacked. With a full summer transfer window under his belt I think he could get in some decent players. He has to get the current players behind him though for the remaining games of the season. End on a high. Get some momentum back in to the club and get the winning feeling back. 

37 minutes ago, Stan said:

lose against West Ham at home next week and wouldn't surprise me if he's given the boot.

He has a project and philosophy about how things should be done and how he believes success should be built but 1) most of our fans have become so entitled after 15/16 that they don't have the patience for it and 2) it may get to the point where the owners lose patience. 

Regarding the second point, you have to beg the question on what the owners expected of Puel given how he usually goes about his business or if he was given false promises. 

4 wins from 18 is pretty shite but up until a few weeks ago we were on the brink of being in serious contention of finishing 7th. Results have taken a downturn since then and we've screwed ourselves over in the league let alone not taking our chance for FA Cup success. What we have to keep in mind is that Puel's only been here since October and it'd be harsh to sack him when he's not got been given the chance to get players in who match his philosophy. He started off well enough and took us well clear of relegation which is where we were headed with Shakespeare. But when results can't paper over some of the cracks in the performances there's bound to be questions asked.

There's also question of some players downing tools or simply not being good enough any more and unable to match the standards of a couple of seasons ago. It doesn't help that Puel's choice of personnel in some of his squads have been debatable. However the attitude of some of the players should be questioned and because of this attitude it has led to below-par performances. 

Personally I think he should be given the summer and given a chance to prove himself. 6 months is no time to prove yourself in this league and it's as if should you not get instant success you're totally doomed or at least already facing an uphill battle. But Puel's battle was made difficult given he has some players who just aren't used to a slow-tempo, defensive-minded possession-based tactic. 

If anything, changes need to be made further up the heirarchy. For me, Jon Rudkin has outstayed his welcome. Far too many bad decisions compared to good ones for the club. I fear if we sack Puel we will definitely find ourselves where Southampton are if we don't get the next appointment right. I fear some managers who we could have realistically got will see it as a poisoned chalice if they come here. They'll see how some fans treat a manager if it doesn't continue to go well. They'll see how ruthless and cynical our owners could potentially be if things start turning. I've wanted Rafa Benitez for ages, even before we got Ranieri. I think he's a quality manager and would suit us perfectly. But I think even we'd screw him over no matter how well he did with us because as soon as we lose a few or performances go downhill, the fickle fans turn as well.

I hope Puel doesn't leave/get sacked. With a full summer transfer window under his belt I think he could get in some decent players. He has to get the current players behind him though for the remaining games of the season. End on a high. Get some momentum back in to the club and get the winning feeling back. 

I was gonna ask if you wanted him to stay but you have already answered that. I think you would be better of keeping him. Look at Southampton since he has gone. He's a decent coach and I would imagine most rational Leicester fans know another title is not likely to happen anytime soon.

• Subscriber

I can't claim to have a comparable insight to Leicester but Ranieri, Shakespeare, Puel... the problem isn't that every manager that comes in is rubbish.

Managers need to be given time to put their project in place. Not many clubs have the luxury of being able to accept a dip for a season or 18 months without seriously risking relegation. Usually it's only the top six. Did Guardiola and Klopp get their teams to where they are in the first few months or even a season? No.

I'm not comparing Puel to Klopp and Guardiola but Leicester are in a position where they can afford to see if given time, Puel can put something in place that can benefit the club for more than 6 months. If they keep hiring and firing for another season then they'll continue to spiral down into the mess that is the bottom half when they'll be forced to continue chopping and changing because they'll need a six game run of new manager bounce to stay out of the relegation zone.

15 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I can't claim to have a comparable insight to Leicester but Ranieri, Shakespeare, Puel... the problem isn't that every manager that comes in is rubbish.

Managers need to be given time to put their project in place. Not many clubs have the luxury of being able to accept a dip for a season or 18 months without seriously risking relegation. Usually it's only the top six. Did Guardiola and Klopp get their teams to where they are in the first few months or even a season? No.

I'm not comparing Puel to Klopp and Guardiola but Leicester are in a position where they can afford to see if given time, Puel can put something in place that can benefit the club for more than 6 months. If they keep hiring and firing for another season then they'll continue to spiral down into the mess that is the bottom half when they'll be forced to continue chopping and changing because they'll need a six game run of new manager bounce to stay out of the relegation zone.

That's the problem with modern football though. Fans are so impatient and so are owners. I remember when managers tended to stay for 3 years at least. I'm sure that Burnley and Bournemouths success is down to consistency

Whilst I agree it can be too early to sack him, equally if there are too many doubts there and a more stand out/suitable candidate is available, Leicester may well be better to bite the bullet and give a new bloke a pre season and transfer kitty for him to do what he wants whilst he has the timeframe to do it.

They don't want to wait then 6 weeks into the new season, sack him with no transfer window and room to change things.

Personally, I didn't think Puel was a great signing and I know that Dan was quite upbeat on him early doors but for me, it looks nothing short of inevitable that he will go sooner or later. The fans just do not seem on board with him and I don't think he is the character to really inspire players.

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I agree with this and after plenty of defending them, I've finally come round to the thinking that the players at this club are a big problem. It is happening far too frequently now to be a co-incidence and unless this issue is tackled head on, then we're going to go down a very dangerous path.

It's all well and good having the ambition, and our owners to their credit have come out with two very big moves in recent weeks in an £80mil training facility and stadium expansion.

But if we let the players rule the roost, it's going to be for absolutely nothing. This club needs a proper structure in place and I don't think Puel's going to have the authority to ever implement it.

I made a very big post the other night explaining my feelings here: https://talkfootball365.com/topic/4011-matchday-chat-saturday-28th-april-2018/?do=findComment&comment=154116

The key, for me, is that 2015/16 has lulled us into this delusion that the way we're running things at the club are a lot better than they truly are. There are players too powerful and a director of football who is in a position well above his capability.

• Subscriber

Also agree big time with Stan that we as a fanbase have become a bit poisonous. I know I whinge a lot on here but I don't expect us to actually compete with the top six, not without years of intelligent investment and management, I moan because I see where things are going wrong and want these things nipping in the bud before they become bigger issues.

We are ridiculously prone to going on terrible runs and it doesn't keep happening by chance.

Too many of our fans are a bit deluded. Summer 2016 was the time to kick on and we didn't. We brought in 7 players and not a single one of them is still at the club. The most unbelievably laughable recruitment you're ever likely to see. As soon as that summer was fucked up, we'd blown our chance. We aren't going to recover it any time soon, certainly not with this ridiculous approach. I don't think enough of our fans appreciate how that summer alone we effectively undid the work getting to where we did, and now we're viewed as probably the 8th or 9th club of the league - and that's going to tumble as well if we don't get our act together.

Benitez would be everything we need, but I would be amazed if he came here.

I feel sorry for Puel but I just cannot see how he'll turn it around from here. That performance at the weekend was nothing short of an absolute disgrace to the shirt. He isn't a bad manager, but I don't think it'll work for him here, certainly not now.

Always thought Puel was a bit of a cabbage tbh, even when Southampton did reasonably well, it always come across as a flash in the pan and never anything that would be used as a building block. 

Usually, I don’t advocate the sacking of managers (unless it’s a proper dick like Pardew, Moyes or someone of that ilk) but Puel should go. I can just see him going in September/October/November if he’s kept on and the merry-go-round Leicester are stuck in now will just continue. 

I’d cut him loose at the end of this season before this season plays out again for Leicester next time around and I’d spend the next few weeks establishing some form of plan as to what the owners want Leicester to achieve and what they want Leicester City to be as a Football Club. 

The Premier League title win for Leicester gave the club sources of income that were before completely unattainable with the Champions League and sudden worldwide interest in the club and I don’t know if it’s my ignorance but I just really know what Leicester are trying to achieve now.

Another Premier League title is, realistically, unlikely and European qualification is very difficult, though not completely unachievable, with the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur being around so what do Leicester do? 

Do they look at younger players within their club or elsewhere to develop them, as they’ve done with Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez? Do they target Cups as their route into Europe? 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Always thought Puel was a bit of a cabbage tbh, even when Southampton did reasonably well, it always come across as a flash in the pan and never anything that would be used as a building block. 

Usually, I don’t advocate the sacking of managers (unless it’s a proper dick like Pardew, Moyes or someone of that ilk) but Puel should go. I can just see him going in September/October/November if he’s kept on and the merry-go-round Leicester are stuck in now will just continue. 

I’d cut him loose at the end of this season before this season plays out again for Leicester next time around and I’d spend the next few weeks establishing some form of plan as to what the owners want Leicester to achieve and what they want Leicester City to be as a Football Club. 

The Premier League title win for Leicester gave the club sources of income that were before completely unattainable with the Champions League and sudden worldwide interest in the club and I don’t know if it’s my ignorance but I just really know what Leicester are trying to achieve now.

Another Premier League title is, realistically, unlikely and European qualification is very difficult, though not completely unachievable, with the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur being around so what do Leicester do? 

Do they look at younger players within their club or elsewhere to develop them, as they’ve done with Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez? Do they target Cups as their route into Europe? 

these 2 points link in together.

In addition, I don't see why we can't aim for 7th next season and try to get in Europe through that way.

Our cup record is, quite frankly, terrible. Not got the past the quarter-final stage in any domestic cup since start of the decade. The positive side of that coin is that we got the Champions League quarters last season.

Anyway, a club of our stature are where we usually would be if 15/16 didn't happen. With so much investment over the years (not just transfer-wise because that hasn't always been good) I guess we can't complain at possibly finishing top half. Dare I say that Burnley's success this season puts some significance on to our own shortcomings and relative under-performance. 

I think we should target cups to get in to Europe but we also have the personnel at the club to be strong in the Premier League, too. This season can be classed as a write-off - it's a transition period for the club given Puel's appointment and him getting us to play in a way that current players aren't used to. And, to be honest, some players need to move on - Morgan and Simpson aren't what they used to be and there's other areas which could be improved on. It's worth noting that this season is the first in about 5 years where nothing has happened - we're not involved in play-offs, not involved a promotion or league wins, not involved in relegated. It doesn't surprise me players are mentally on the beach and aren't fussed about this season any more, as unprofessional as that sounds. 

Another Premier League title is out of the question. There's ambition and then there's just insanity! With the teams you mention possibly winning a domestic cup it paves the way to be the best of the rest and aim for Europe that way. 

I fear that if we cut Puel loose now or at the end of the season, we're just shooting ourselves in the foot and opening ourselves up for more embarrassment and potential rollercoaster - what if the new person comes in with a 'vision' and style but it doesn't work? Either way, we need to give X manager time and resources to make his mark. If that's Puel, give him the summer and let's see how next season begins and continues. If it's someone else, give him the summer as well but if it starts off a bit shaky or turbulent, let's not push him out - let's give him the time to make things work. Not to compare Puel (or another manager) to Guardiola in the sense of their ability, but Guardiola's first season at Man City was poor by their standards. If we go much further back, I might be right in thinking that Fergie didn't win a trophy in his first 4 years at United? Obviously football was different then but the analogy still stands. 

(Note, I am aware I have SirBalonitis with how long these posts are in this thread!)

• Administrator

He's not lasting til the end of the season at this rate.

Today was more dog shite, despite it being in a dead-rubber kind of game. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Another coach will get the boot and will be replaced by another Muppet. The problem with this club lies deeper than the coach. Sadly, this club is heading to relegation and next year unless they clean house from top to bottom.

mentioned that above. Problems lie deeper than just the manager. We've got a director of football in Jon Rudkin who is so shite. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

I honestly didnt see it. Who is in charge of choosing the next coach?

On 29/04/2018 at 22:03, Stan said:

If anything, changes need to be made further up the heirarchy. For me, Jon Rudkin has outstayed his welcome. Far too many bad decisions compared to good ones for the club. I fear if we sack Puel we will definitely find ourselves where Southampton are if we don't get the next appointment right. I fear some managers who we could have realistically got will see it as a poisoned chalice if they come here. They'll see how some fans treat a manager if it doesn't continue to go well. They'll see how ruthless and cynical our owners could potentially be if things start turning.

:91_thumbsup:

Owners as well as Rudkin would have some say in the choosing of managers. 

• Subscriber
On 5/5/2018 at 19:04, Teso dos Bichos said:

Another coach will get the boot and will be replaced by another Muppet. The problem with this club lies deeper than the coach. Sadly, this club is heading to relegation and next year unless they clean house from top to bottom.

You know the really worrying thing here?

I totally agree.

• Subscriber

For what it's worth - Puel out. He'll succeed somewhere else I think, ironically I reckon he'll end up at Nantes, he's a good fit for them and Ranieri's likely to leave them after a fall-out with the chairman and a nosedive in form (I assume they'll be blasted from all angles when it happens).

He just isn't strong enough to take on what's a tougher job than people realise. Players are being allowed to get away with feigning injury because of the World Cup. It's an absolute disgrace and I have no idea how he ever thinks he'll command any respect as a result.

• Subscriber

Rudkin has to go as well. Any of our fans who stick up for him are doing so to be contrary. I don't care what he's directly done - the director of football is to oversee the footballing side of the club and to set out a clear direction. The only time we ever had that kind of organisation was when Pearson was here. No surprise the further distant we become with his regime, the bigger a shambles we become. Rudkin's out of his depth and yet I'm petrified at the thought that the owners see him as a crucial reason we won the league. Rudkin's CV is being head of our academy for about 12 years, an academy that for my money under-performed. He absolutely has no business being director of football at a club with the 8th biggest wage bill in the country.

Everton have got it right. Steve Walsh isn't the man for that role. They made a naive appointment by signing the head of recruitment from us because of the Vardy, Mahrez, Kante etc... deals. A completely different situation to being DoF at a club like Everton. They're rectifying it by appointing the PSV director of football - a PSV side who for all the love Ajax get, have outperformed them. That's the kind of thing we should aim for. I expect Everton will get their act together and leave us a distant memory.

• Subscriber

ITK's basically saying he's off in the summer, which is fucking annoying as I've got a fiver on him next to go at 66/1 and it'll become void by then. Fuck sake.

David Wagner's being reported a bit tonight. I quite like Wagner, do think for all Huddersfield have looked crap at times, their resources aren't even close to what he'd get here. He strikes me as an easy character to get on with whilst Puel seems just a bit dull on the whole.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Dan said:

ITK's basically saying he's off in the summer, which is fucking annoying as I've got a fiver on him next to go at 66/1 and it'll become void by then. Fuck sake.

David Wagner's being reported a bit tonight. I quite like Wagner, do think for all Huddersfield have looked crap at times, their resources aren't even close to what he'd get here. He strikes me as an easy character to get on with whilst Puel seems just a bit dull on the whole.

He might go after the inevitable hammering we get on Wednesday against Arsenal. 

What was Wagner's record like in Germany? 

For all his good work in nearly keeping Huddersfield up, similarly to Puel the 2nd half of the season has been shite from him. Lost 9 of 18. Failed to score in 9 games since mid December. Went 8 in a row winless, and lost 5 in a row in that time since mid December as well. Will our fans treat him the same way like Puel now? 

Maybe it's to do with the squad he has at Huddersfield but I've often thought he plays defensive football, much like Puel too. I'm not sure what the big craze is about him? 

3 minutes ago, True Blue said:

What are the chances of Leicester winning on the last day at Tottenham away?

Don't worry mate, we'll beat them on Wednesday for you. We have won our last 3 away games at Tottenham B| I think it is the reason they bought Sissoko xD

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, True Blue said:

What are the chances of Leicester winning on the last day at Tottenham away?

Not a chance in hell. 

Kane loves a goal against us as it is so I expect him to better the 4 he got against us in one game last season. 

Soz mate. 

I'd look at Marco Silva if I were Leicester. 

Puel is clearly a decent manager, but he needs to be at a club that doest expect expansive, entertaining football. He's too conservative for that. Probably do really well with a mid table Italian team.

Archived