talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Claude Puel to Leave Leicester?

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

I'd look at Marco Silva if I were Leicester. 

Puel is clearly a decent manager, but he needs to be at a club that doest expect expansive, entertaining football. He's too conservative for that. Probably do really well with a mid table Italian team.

Would Silva provide this? 

Maybe @The Artful Dodger could shed more light on how Hull played. I may be wrong but I don't recall that style of football there?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, Stan said:

He might go after the inevitable hammering we get on Wednesday against Arsenal. 

What was Wagner's record like in Germany? 

For all his good work in nearly keeping Huddersfield up, similarly to Puel the 2nd half of the season has been shite from him. Lost 9 of 18. Failed to score in 9 games since mid December. Went 8 in a row winless, and lost 5 in a row in that time since mid December as well. Will our fans treat him the same way like Puel now? 

Maybe it's to do with the squad he has at Huddersfield but I've often thought he plays defensive football, much like Puel too. I'm not sure what the big craze is about him? 

Again, it's lack of resources. Their squad is pretty weak. You'd have to say the weakest in the division. He's over-achieved with them.

I agree he'd be a big risk, and not necessarily what we need as I'm not sure he's a tough enough character to not let the players take the piss out of the club like they have recently.

I've been saying Marco Silva as well. He isn't perfect but I think he's got potential to go far in the game. He'd come here in a heartbeat too I reckon. I remember sat there in October pretty annoyed we hadn't gone for him. While I was hoping Shakespeare got it, half of me was hoping we'd gone for Silva as well. Shakespeare as it turned out just wasn't a manager and Silva had Watford flying. They did nosedive under him which shouldn't be overlooked but that was due to a situation they had ended up in that he's not necessarily going to have here.

Just seen the form table since the January window shut. We're 19th from 12 games played, and of those 12 we have played only one side in the top six. That's calamitous form. Makes you wonder how big an impact the Mahrez thing had on us. We've turned in for me, one good performance since it, and that was away at a totally shambolic West Brom side.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Marco Silva is a bit shit though, isn’t he? A bit like swapping Puel for Puel. 

I can't really see how he's shit. Hull looked dead and buried before he got there and Watford were flying before the Everton nonsense, in which it looks to me like Silva gambled on that deal going through and it backfired.

My top choice would be to make Benitez a brilliant offer because it looks like after all he probably will end up leaving Newcastle. Don't think he'd come here and he'll have better offers but it can't hurt to try.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dan said:

I can't really see how he's shit. Hull looked dead and buried before he got there and Watford were flying before the Everton nonsense, in which it looks to me like Silva gambled on that deal going through and it backfired.

My top choice would be to make Benitez a brilliant offer because it looks like after all he probably will end up leaving Newcastle. Don't think he'd come here and he'll have better offers but it can't hurt to try.

Get Benitez in and get Torres in for one last Premier League cameo.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Get Benitez in and get Torres in for one last Premier League cameo.

We've got Benitez' old head of recruitment in as well although it's rumoured he's leaving. Our recruitment under him hasn't been anywhere near good enough.

35 minutes ago, Dan said:

His teams can’t defend. 

At Watford his teams conceded - Liverpool x3, Man City (2 games) x9, Chelsea x4, Man United x4, Huddersfield x4.

At Hull his teams conceded - Tottenham x7, Crystal Palace x4, Stoke x3, Man City x3, Everton x4, Leicester x3. 

That’s FORTY-EIGHT goals in twelve games. That’s just a small selection of the games he managed at both clubs.  He only managed 48 games at Watford and Hull respectively. 

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

His teams can’t defend. 

At Watford his teams conceded - Liverpool x3, Man City (2 games) x9, Chelsea x4, Man United x4, Huddersfield x4.

At Hull his teams conceded - Tottenham x7, Crystal Palace x4, Stoke x3, Man City x3, Everton x4, Leicester x3. 

That’s FORTY-EIGHT goals in twelve games. That’s just a small selection of the games he managed at both clubs.  He only managed 48 games at Watford and Hull respectively. 

I'm not going to pretend those stats aren't quite worrying. He does have a tendency to get slaughtered occasionally.

But for some context...

Hull before Silva (in 20 games)
- 13 points
- 3 wins
- 17 goals (0.85 goals a game)
- 44 goals conceded (2.4 goals a game)
- Conceded 4 to Arsenal, 5 at Liverpool, 6 at Bournemouth (!!!), 3 at Sunderland, 3 against Palace, 3 at Spurs, 3 against Man City, 3 at West Brom.
- Runs of 6 straight defeats, and one win in eighteen games

Hull under Silva (18 games)
- 21 points
- 6 wins
- 20 goals (1.11 a game)
- 36 conceded (2 goals a game, still crap, but improved)
- Significantly improved the home form
- Drew away at Man Utd

There is absolutely no question that he improved Hull. I can't totally overlook the shortcomings, and frankly their last three results under him (0-2 v Sunderland, 4-0 v Palace, 1-7 v Spurs) are appalling, but on the whole you'd say he did OK with what little he could. You cannot blast any manager for not keeping Hull up that year. They were the most under-prepared side I've seen at that level. It would've been a miracle if they'd stayed up.

Watford, they fell off a cliff, again, it shouldn't be overlooked, but it was quite clear that something significant changed under him that basically spoilt everything. It's his own fault and he should be held responsible for it, but it doesn't mean that it's necessarily going to happen to him should he end up here.

This is a very good article on him - https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11686/11217397/marco-silva-sacked-by-watford-this-gifted-coach-is-his-own-worst-enemy

What I also noticed, that is embarrassing, is that both sides during their awful runs still beat Leicester.

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Puel has won a game! Any Leicester fans want to do what the Everton lot did and make some posts about how they will be ok if the manager they've been slagging off for a month or two stays on?

:ph34r:

top 8 is still on. 

#PuelIn

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Puel has won a game! Any Leicester fans want to do what the Everton lot did and make some posts about how they will be ok if the manager they've been slagging off for a month or two stays on?

:ph34r:

Nah I still think he's gone regardless, it just makes it all the more bemusing when we can play like that.

I really don't understand the situation with us. We've been appalling, and I mean APPALLING for weeks, and then we go and rip Arsenal to shreds. It'll get even weirder if we go and win at Spurs - which I actually won't rule out now.

It's a shame really because if he'd had 3/4 more games like last night I don't think there'd be a word said about his job security.

Claude Puel believes he will be given the chance to lead Leicester City next season.

The Frenchman has guided the club to just their second top-10 finish in the Premier League since 2000.

The Foxes will finish no lower than ninth despite securing just five wins from their last 20 top-flight games, a run which has cast doubt on Puel's future.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

The Foxes will finish no lower than ninth despite securing just five wins from their last 20 top-flight games,

how shit this league has been emphasised with this as well as Burnley going a couple months without winning and staying in 7th xD 

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:24, Dan said:

Nah I still think he's gone regardless, it just makes it all the more bemusing when we can play like that.

I really don't understand the situation with us. We've been appalling, and I mean APPALLING for weeks, and then we go and rip Arsenal to shreds. It'll get even weirder if we go and win at Spurs - which I actually won't rule out now.

It's a shame really because if he'd had 3/4 more games like last night I don't think there'd be a word said about his job security.

In fairness, it's not often you get to play a team down to 10 men after 15 minutes.

That may have papered over the cracks.

• Subscriber

If Puel has convinction in what he says, and the players are behind him, then by all means keep him on.

My biggest reservation on him is his relationship with the players, which after the Palace and West Ham games I thought was beyond repair.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Dan said:

If Puel has convinction in what he says, and the players are behind him, then by all means keep him on.

My biggest reservation on him is his relationship with the players, which after the Palace and West Ham games I thought was beyond repair.

you don't get a performance like against Arsenal if the players aren't behind you. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

you don't get a performance like against Arsenal if the players aren't behind you. 

I do agree with @Lucas that it's easy to read a bit too much into it, but I think even before the red card we were right at them. The intensity was back in our game. It was very similar to that Liverpool game after Ranieri had gone.

We'd had more chances in that first half than I can remember in our last few home games.

I'm still far from convinced with the situation but if that performance was for Puel then I'm inclined to say keep him on.

I don't think I'll ever truly have the knowledge on this situation to say for sure this time.

Ranieri on the flip side I knew had to go.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Dan said:

I do agree with @Lucas that it's easy to read a bit too much into it, but I think even before the red card we were right at them. The intensity was back in our game. It was very similar to that Liverpool game after Ranieri had gone.

We'd had more chances in that first half than I can remember in our last few home games.

I'm still far from convinced with the situation but if that performance was for Puel then I'm inclined to say keep him on.

I don't think I'll ever truly have the knowledge on this situation to say for sure this time.

Ranieri on the flip side I knew had to go.

it did help that Arsenal were more attacking and naturally open than the bottom-half sides we played at home, as well. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Claude Puel said he had "no comment" to make over his own future after leading Leicester to ninth.

That's never good.

why? he said he'll be seeing out his contract as well...

he's probably said no comment because there's no change from when he was last asked the question probably. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

why? he said he'll be seeing out his contract as well...

he's probably said no comment because there's no change from when he was last asked the question probably. 

Nobody ever says no comment because there's nothing to comment on, ever. 

• Subscriber

What will be will be. Lets see what they've got in store for us.

We've clawed a little bit of credibility back this past week. Granted, our defenders haven't.

I don't know how I feel about Puel. I think Leicester have been poor this season in finishing below Everton and Burnley. They've got a much better side than both of those sides on paper - being 7 points off 7th place Burnley is poor for this Leicester side.

But it's a bit harsh to sack a man who's shown some good football too after his first season. But the results speak for themselves and I think most Leicester fans would have been disappointed at the start of the season with being sat in 9th place on 47 points.

Archived