talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pre-Season Friendlies/Tours 2018/19

football forum

My worry too is that third position in midfield, I think Cesc can cover some of it and also play a part if need be in the other midfield positions but it's going to be very interesting to see what happens over the course of the season in that midfield. At this moment in time, I don't have an awful lot of faith in Barkley but hopefully he proves me wrong.

Alonso is shite but we knew that anyway. And I also think it's going to be a tough season for Azpi to see how he adapts to a more open back four and of course playing as a right back. 

Tonight we were caught one too many times high pressing and positionally which left a big vacant space in our midfield. Need to sort that out.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the grand scheme of things its only pre-season and Sarri is playing with what he has available to try a few things out... We still have a lot of good players yet to join back up with the squad and transfers to be completed ( if indeed we get anymore of our intended targets ) so not really bothered at this point... 

I think our season will be a little bit hit and miss in places given the world cup and late arrivals still to be tried and tested and to be fair to Sarri he has come in very late and not got the whole squad to choose from so can see it being a few games until we can get in any sort of rhythm going.. A lot is also going to depend on the attitude of the players returning as well, Hazard/Court/Willian have all had question marks hanging over them this summer and seem as though getting out has been the main focus from what we are reading... They could come back and give everything to the cause or they could begrudge not getting their moves and be dragging their feet throughout the season.. all this remains to be seen 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

We drew 1-1 with Valencia but based on our performance we were definitely good for the win. A lot of youngsters played their part - players who have been in our reserve squad last couple of seasons but should be looking at loan moves to get regular playing time at a competitive league standard i.e league two/league one. 

Was pleasantly surprised by the youngsters. Valencia were the better team in the first half but lowered the intensity a bit in the second I think. We lacked the quality but the younger players performed well. I think Darnell Johnson and Hamza Choudhury have parts to play this season.

I'm a bit worried about Iborra. I'm starting to think he's a bit of a liability at times.

James Maddison is going to be a star. That kid has superb ability.

28 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@SirBalon @Asura @6666  @Chaaay AFC @Dan  @Panna King @shut up what have you made of arsenal pre-season?

It's been okay. Nothing out of this world but we've done okay against decent opposition. Don't really put too much stock into pre-season unless it's a total disaster where they play like they don't know each other.

4 minutes ago, 6666 said:

It's been okay. Nothing out of this world but we've done okay against decent opposition. Don't really put too much stock into pre-season unless it's a total disaster where they play like they don't know each other.

I wouldn't normally but since we have a new manager I am more interested. Like i said earlier i think we looked more organised at the back and we didn't mess around so much in the final third. Also thought we looked more intense when we pressed 

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I wouldn't normally but since we have a new manager I am more interested. Like i said earlier i think we looked more organised at the back and we didn't mess around so much in the final third. Also thought we looked more intense when we pressed 

Guendouzi featured heavily in pre-season and looked impressive. Will be interesting to see how much game time he gets during the season.

18 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Guendouzi featured heavily in pre-season and looked impressive. Will be interesting to see how much game time he gets during the season.

I think it was quite noticeable the difference in the way we played. Like you said you can't read to much into pre season but it was interesting to see the different style. I certainly think we will be tighter at the back

7 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@SirBalon @Asura @6666  @Chaaay AFC @Dan  @Panna King @shut up what have you made of arsenal pre-season?

In terms of results pre season is meaningless and I don't look at that part.  As 6666 said, it's about the players looking like they understand what the coach wants from them and that it doesn't look a total mess.  Also to look at the fitness levels of individual players and especially to see any new player and how he's assimilating everything new that surrounds him.

The pre season has been OK from that standpoint and you can definitely see there's a new coach in charge of that team now.

1 hour ago, Panna King said:

Its been ok, same problems though with defence, Sokratis is not good enough and will get exposed. 

I have to say we could and should have smashed at least 4 past you yesterday if all the chances were taken so you could end up struggling in some games, Our finishing was poor for what we created and you were a bit sluggish in the first 45, You were almost a mirror of us in the second half, had all the ball and created good chances but for all that only got the one goal... 

At this point I really couldn't call where both teams are going to end up come the end of the season.. 

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Think the conditions and circumstances have to be just right for Barkley to do well but I just cannot see him finding those circumstances here at Chelsea, mainly given the fast natured and unforgiving environment the club conducts itself in. Let’s hope I’m proved wrong as the current style and manager suits him a lot more and you would think that if he can’t stake a good claim this season, he never will (that’s if he stays fit).

He’s the definition of a player that plays best when he isn’t thinking, whenever he has more time on the ball he struggles more. I’ve been annoyed with him a good few times already this pre-season because of his final ball.

This is Barkley to a tee and probably what a number of Everton fans would have written about him over the last few years if we were able to be balanced but he was 'one of our own' which means we always just hoped he'd end up being class and convinced ourselves it was possible.

Ross lacks football intelligence and needed a good coach at Everton to mould him carefully into the player he has the attributes to be come. Martinez is not a good coach though he did at least trust Ross which saw him able to express himself on the pitch. Koeman gave the impression of being a good coach but Barkley didn't respond well to his tough love approach in probably the biggest of a series of man management challenges Ronald faced and failed miserably in his short time at Everton.

Unless Chelsea suddenly change their MO as a club Barkley will never develop to his full potential there as he never knows who his manager is going to be in 12, 18 months' time. Even if Sarri is an amazing coach, Barkley is a high maintenance player and seems to need a long running relationship with a manager to get the best out of him. He's also reaching the now or never age bracket and his decision making on the pitch doesn't seem to have improved much since he was 18 to be brutally honest.

Chelsea was the wrong move for him. He should have gone to Tottenham and worked with Pochettino if that offer was still on the table. Hopefully it never works out for him with you lot though as I'll never forget the way he shithoused Everton last season and spent half of it using our physio team and gym to make sure he was fit for his big move to Chelsea in January picking up his wages from us while he was at it. Hope he ends up forgotten, sulking on West Ham's bench by the time the next World Cup comes around.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

This is Barkley to a tee and probably what a number of Everton fans would have written about him over the last few years if we were able to be balanced but he was 'one of our own' which means we always just hoped he'd end up being class and convinced ourselves it was possible.

Ross lacks football intelligence and needed a good coach at Everton to mould him carefully into the player he has the attributes to be come. Martinez is not a good coach though he did at least trust Ross which saw him able to express himself on the pitch. Koeman gave the impression of being a good coach but Barkley didn't respond well to his tough love approach in probably the biggest of a series of man management challenges Ronald faced and failed miserably in his short time at Everton.

Unless Chelsea suddenly change their MO as a club Barkley will never develop to his full potential there as he never knows who his manager is going to be in 12, 18 months' time. Even if Sarri is an amazing coach, Barkley is a high maintenance player and seems to need a long running relationship with a manager to get the best out of him. He's also reaching the now or never age bracket and his decision making on the pitch doesn't seem to have improved much since he was 18 to be brutally honest.

Chelsea was the wrong move for him. He should have gone to Tottenham and worked with Pochettino if that offer was still on the table. Hopefully it never works out for him with you lot though as I'll never forget the way he shithoused Everton last season and spent half of it using our physio team and gym to make sure he was fit for his big move to Chelsea in January picking up his wages from us while he was at it. Hope he ends up forgotten, sulking on West Ham's bench by the time the next World Cup comes around.

A lot of Chelsea fans have said he's had a good pre-season but me personally I haven't been that impressed. He seemed to get a lot of praise for his performance last night on Twitter but I must have been watching a different game because I thought he was average at best. He seems to be the type that needs the conditions to be perfect to thrive, from anything down to the role, playing style, relationships, fitness, the state of the pitch, his boots. Football intelligence is a big thing and (hopefully I'm wrong) but I'd be surprised if he hits the ground running here in the coming season.

Spurs would have been much better for him but regardless of the nature of our club, there's definitely a big opportunity for him this season, he just needs to take it.

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

A lot of Chelsea fans have said he's had a good pre-season but me personally I haven't been that impressed. He seemed to get a lot of praise for his performance last night on Twitter but I must have been watching a different game because I thought he was average at best. He seems to be the type that needs the conditions to be perfect to thrive, from anything down to the role, playing style, relationships, fitness, the state of the pitch, his boots. Football intelligence is a big thing and (hopefully I'm wrong) but I'd be surprised if he hits the ground running here in the coming season.

Spurs would have been much better for him but regardless of the nature of our club, there's definitely a big opportunity for him this season, he just needs to take it.

Barkley has been unable to have any influence on the games we have seen so far... I don't know if it's because he has not had a decent run at it or he has and always will be at this level but he is not a game changer, not on current form anyway, A lot of his passing was mis placed but to be fair he was not the only one doing that and its not like he doesn't lack effort because he does put that in but that's not going to be enough to keep him in a side that has better players that can keep him out of the side... 

He could be a great player for someone I don't know as I never saw enough of him when he was at Everton and sure as hell have seen bugger all of him really to have  decent guess while he has been with us but just don't see him getting a regular slot and the less games he has the more inconsistent he is probably going to be.. It's great when you have one of those star performances and everyone is then gushing over him but I only see 1 in every 5 or 6 games if he gets a run and that's not going to be enough so just see him being a bit part player... 

• Administrator

Finished 2-1 winners.

Went down 1-0 within 5 minutes after some horrible defending. They could have been 2 up but Kasper was quality to make a double-save.

After that we grew in to the game and pretty much were in control throughout. Going forward we look very fluid. Maddison once again the centre of it all and Iheanacho converting chances given to him. 4 goals in pre-season and he's looked ready to go since he came back from the World Cup which is promising for Friday agaisnt Utd as Vardy won't play. 

Pereira and Chilwell like to get forward to which are extra players for defenders to cope with. Pereira has slotted in fairly well too and is a stark improvement on Simpson who may look to leave.

Other positive points being youngsters getting a lot of minutes - through no other choice really but when they've come on or started they've done well. Darnell Johnson, Callum Elder (previously at Wigan on loan last season), Layton Ndukwu all seem very promising. 

The defence needs some heavy improvement though. Morgan and Benalouane seem to be a bit shaky and will continue to be exposed against better teams in the league than those we've played in friendlies.

I went to the Palace Toulouse friendly today. The infamous return of John Bostock who actually got a very good reception.

I try not to read too much in to pre season, but to beat Reading 4-0 and Toulouse 4-1, it looks like we're very much ready for the new campaign.

Now that were fully Hodgsonised I wouldn't be surprised to see a top half finish. Wolves, West Ham and Everton are three teams everybody seems to think will finish 7th to 9th but if we keep Zaha I think we are capable of finishing above two of them.

Guendouzi for £7m was brilliant business. Have to wait and see how he does in competitive games but his range of passing, awareness and overall footballing intelligence has been very impressive.

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Guendouzi for £7m was brilliant business. Have to wait and see how he does in competitive games but his range of passing, awareness and overall footballing intelligence has been very impressive.

I watched him against PSG. I think it was his first game so obviously won't be too harsh but he was quite wasteful in possession. His work rate though was very good and he did seem to recover the ball well.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived