talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mo Salah Wins Football Writers Association Player of the Year

• Administrator

Salah first.

De Bruyne second.

Kane third (hasn't claimed the win yet).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43960328

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah has been named the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year.

Manchester City midfielder Kevin de Bruyne came second with Tottenham striker Harry Kane third.

Salah, 25, has scored 31 goals in 34 league appearances for Liverpool this season.

The Egypt star - the first African winner of the award - also won the Professional Footballers' Association player of the year award in April.

Chelsea and England forward Fran Kirby won the inaugural FWA Women's Footballer of the Year award.

Salah has scored 43 goals in all competitions after signing for £34m from Roma in the summer.

The former Chelsea and Basel winger netted twice in the first leg of Liverpool's Champions League semi-final win against his former club at Anfield last week.

Jurgen Klopp's side travel to the Stadio Olimpico on Wednesday for the return leg with a 5-2 lead over the Italians.

Salah and 26-year-old Belgian De Bruyne collected more than 90% of the votes from members of the Football Writers' Association.

FWA chairman Patrick Barclay described the battle between the two as "the toughest call since 1968-69", when there was a dead heat between Tony Book of Manchester City and Derby's Dave Mackay.

"Right up to the last week or so we thought it might happen again, so strong was the support for Kevin de Bruyne," said Barclay.

"But Mo Salah's relentless match-winning form, exemplified by his two great goals against Roma, seems to have swung the vote by a very narrow margin."

Other players to receive votes from FWA members were: Sergio Aguero (Man City), Christian Eriksen (Tottenham), Roberto Firmino (Liverpool), Nick Pope (Burnley), David Silva (Manchester City), Raheem Sterling (Man City) and Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham).

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Klopps written speach read out at the awards after Salah picked up his second POTY award.....

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

Before anything else I would like to say on behalf of everyone at Liverpool Football Club how pleased we are to hear that Sir Alex Ferguson is already making a speedy recovery after his recent illness. You don't have to be from this country or Scotland to appreciate his genius or importance to football -- but the extent of the coverage in your publications following the news last weekend proves his status transcends his own profession. It's fantastic news to hear he is already making big strides to a full recovery and at LFC we are delighted about this.

Please accept my apologies for not being with you in person tonight. It is the club's own award ceremony at Anfield and as such I need to prioritise being here with the rest of the team. Given this is the Football WRITERS' Association I thought a written acknowledgement from me -- that someone could read out on the evening -- would make more sense than a recorded message.

In terms of a Liverpool presence at your event tonight, hopefully we have managed to show the respect it deserves -- despite the clash with our own annual awards.

Your winner -- Mr. Salah -- is either with you now or on his way, depending when this message is read out. It is typical of Mo's character that he was so keen to attend. And I don't mean being greedy for awards -- but being gracious and good mannered to make every effort to be there in person and thank you for the honour.

There's not much I can say about what he does "on the pitch" that you guys haven't already seen and written about. The fact you have voted for him as your "player of the season" reflects that you have witnessed his incredible quality as a footballer. But it's his qualities as a person that should not be overlooked.

I read and hear about him being a wonderful role model for Egypt -- North Africa -- for the wider Arabic world and for Muslims. This of course is true -- but he is a role model FULL STOP. Regardless of race or religion -- country or region of birth. The only "labels" we should put on Mo is what a good person he is and what a fantastic footballer he is. And by the way -- the first part of that is more important in life than the second.

Mo is someone who sets an example of how to approach life and how to treat others. Around Melwood -- with his teammates and the club staff -- he is gentle and humble -- despite being the international superstar he is now. The attention and acclaim has not changed him even by 0.01% percent. He arrived at Liverpool humble and warm and this is the same boy who comes to be with you all tonight to accept your generous recognition. Although -- maybe a little more tired and weary of selfies and autographs -- so keep that in mind please.

Mo, we are very proud of you and thankful for what you have done for this team and club -- and of course we look forward to sharing many more seasons with you at Liverpool. In a season when Manchester City have been outstandingly good -- and played outstandingly well -- football from another planet -- you have won the two major awards. The one voted for by your fellow professionals and now the one voted for by the football writers.

You are world class Mo -- truly world class. And what's even more exciting, for you, for Liverpool, and for the public who get to watch you play: you can and will get even better.

Congratulations my friend.

59 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Klopps written speach read out at the awards after Salah picked up his second POTY award.....

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

Before anything else I would like to say on behalf of everyone at Liverpool Football Club how pleased we are to hear that Sir Alex Ferguson is already making a speedy recovery after his recent illness. You don't have to be from this country or Scotland to appreciate his genius or importance to football -- but the extent of the coverage in your publications following the news last weekend proves his status transcends his own profession. It's fantastic news to hear he is already making big strides to a full recovery and at LFC we are delighted about this.

Please accept my apologies for not being with you in person tonight. It is the club's own award ceremony at Anfield and as such I need to prioritise being here with the rest of the team. Given this is the Football WRITERS' Association I thought a written acknowledgement from me -- that someone could read out on the evening -- would make more sense than a recorded message.

In terms of a Liverpool presence at your event tonight, hopefully we have managed to show the respect it deserves -- despite the clash with our own annual awards.

Your winner -- Mr. Salah -- is either with you now or on his way, depending when this message is read out. It is typical of Mo's character that he was so keen to attend. And I don't mean being greedy for awards -- but being gracious and good mannered to make every effort to be there in person and thank you for the honour.

There's not much I can say about what he does "on the pitch" that you guys haven't already seen and written about. The fact you have voted for him as your "player of the season" reflects that you have witnessed his incredible quality as a footballer. But it's his qualities as a person that should not be overlooked.

I read and hear about him being a wonderful role model for Egypt -- North Africa -- for the wider Arabic world and for Muslims. This of course is true -- but he is a role model FULL STOP. Regardless of race or religion -- country or region of birth. The only "labels" we should put on Mo is what a good person he is and what a fantastic footballer he is. And by the way -- the first part of that is more important in life than the second.

Mo is someone who sets an example of how to approach life and how to treat others. Around Melwood -- with his teammates and the club staff -- he is gentle and humble -- despite being the international superstar he is now. The attention and acclaim has not changed him even by 0.01% percent. He arrived at Liverpool humble and warm and this is the same boy who comes to be with you all tonight to accept your generous recognition. Although -- maybe a little more tired and weary of selfies and autographs -- so keep that in mind please.

Mo, we are very proud of you and thankful for what you have done for this team and club -- and of course we look forward to sharing many more seasons with you at Liverpool. In a season when Manchester City have been outstandingly good -- and played outstandingly well -- football from another planet -- you have won the two major awards. The one voted for by your fellow professionals and now the one voted for by the football writers.

You are world class Mo -- truly world class. And what's even more exciting, for you, for Liverpool, and for the public who get to watch you play: you can and will get even better.

Congratulations my friend.

Was that actually Klopp, or was it @SirBalon(? :ph34r:

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, SirBalon said:

That's a challenge from Klopp I HAVE TO WIN! How dare he write a book to give a simple thank you. O.o

On your marks, get set .... WRITE!!!

Archived