talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Programmes - EFL To Vote In June

football forum

• Administrator

EFL and some clubs within have put forward a proposition to end automatic printing of matchday programmes for every match. 

Sales are down and it obviously comes at a cost to have them published every week.

They'll vote in June to see whether it'll continue or not.

I must admit for years on end we would buy a programme but to be honest failed to see the attraction of them any more considering so much information can be seen online within minutes. Can understand why some fans want to see it in print come matchday. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/43959769

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly shouldn't be mandatory, didn't realise they were and how is that even enforceable? Clubs docked points for not printing a programme...

Used to buy them every game when I was a season ticket holder, mainly because my Dad did and I quite liked collecting them. They're overpriced now though, £3.00 is a lot for what it is is.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I might be wrong but didn't someone get docked points recently for not being able to print a programme? Sure it was one of them Leyton Orient non-league types. 

8 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

That's absolutely mental if true, especially as I imagine it would be do to financial troubles.

Wimbledon got 'investigated' for not including the name 'MK Dons' on their programme when they played them a few months ago. Nothing came of it but absolutely laughable it even got investigated in the first place.

Weird that you have to print one. They're generational I think, my granddad picks them up when he goes but I've never really thought of doing it. Only maybe at a big match. And I feel like they cost a lot more then 3 quid in London 😂

24 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I might be wrong but didn't someone get docked points recently for not being able to print a programme? Sure it was one of them Leyton Orient non-league types. 

Hahaha proper bitter because we don’t share the same opinion.

That also never happened. Orient failed to pay the printer, though they managed to negotiate a deal to print something, it was about four pages, to meet the mandatory rules set by the EFL. 

First time I ever bought a programme, I had it signed by Gary Speed, Gary McAllister, Gordon Strachan and Mervyn Day. Priceless.

Last time I bought a programme it had a gazillion adverts in it, out of date articles and incorrect knowledge. I thought fuck that, never again. Worthless.

I know some clubs already offer their programme digitally and you can pay a subscription for the season so this was always likely to happen eventually. I used to always buy a programme, home or away, but for the last 5 seasons I haven't due to the cost and also practically having space to keep them at home! Also, so many people buy them that collections aren't as sought after as previously they were. I remember when I first started going to Rovers games in the late 90s there was always a programme stall outside the ground selling random individual Rovers programmes from season's past as they were really collectible. Now, I'd only buy a programme if it was a significant match as a souvenir or to get it signed.

I never buy them, but I'd like to see them stay. Like most things in football they are vastly overpriced. The Norwich programme is actually decent and has improved, but not worth anywhere near £3.50. I think it's a nice momento from a game, particualrly people that don't get to go as often as they'd like it a 'I was there' kind of thing.

Programmes and programme sellers are part of football. Keep them.

I keep my match stubs from all away games, but that's dying too with some clubs just giving out e tickets, they are hardly anything worth keeping.

I expect the vote result will be that programmes don't have to be mandatory as I imagine clubs often lose money on them, so in the future will pick and choose when to have a programme.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Stan said:

EFL have decided that clubs are now under no obligation to produce matchday programmes.

It's a shame, it's been a huge part of Football over many, many years but technology has evolved and there's now other sources out there that allow people to find out news about their clubs. Hopefully though, this means some teams will do more to preserve programmes at their clubs, maybe withholding some information and news for the matchday programme to entice people to buy.  

Archived