talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Roberto Mancini Appointed Italy Head Coach

Roberto Mancini has reached an agreement to become the next Italy coach, according to Sky in Italy.

The Zenit St Petersburg manager met with the Italian FA sub-commissioner Alessandro Costacurta and team director Gabriele Oriali in Rome on Monday evening.

Mancini, the former Manchester City manager, is expected to take over the national job after the final round of Russian domestic fixtures on May 13 and before the May 20 deadline set by the Italian FA.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Mancini and Balotelli make up in the end? I know Mario played under Roberto at Inter and City.

Could be good news for Balotelli if so. Still arguably one of Italy's most talented forwards despite the circus he brings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2018 at 18:16, Lucas said:

Did Mancini and Balotelli make up in the end? I know Mario played under Roberto at Inter and City.

Could be good news for Balotelli if so. Still arguably one of Italy's most talented forwards despite the circus he brings.

He's said today he's going to meet with Balotelli to discuss a potential return to the national team.

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

He's said today he's going to meet with Balotelli to discuss a potential return to the national team.

Good on him.

Balotelli is a complete wildcard but there is no doubt he's one of the best talents the Italian National Team have at their disposal. You only need to see the way he destroyed Germany at Euro 2012.

That's one of Italy's major problems. They don't have enough players capable of that kind of brilliance right now.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Good on him.

Balotelli is a complete wildcard but there is no doubt he's one of the best talents the Italian National Team have at their disposal. You only need to see the way he destroyed Germany at Euro 2012.

That's one of Italy's major problems. They don't have enough players capable of that kind of brilliance right now.

Yet we haven't seen any resemblence of that brilliance since. One of those players who have peaked early on and regressed ever since. 

I still think Immobile and Belotti can work out, especially in time for Euro 2020. The latter can potentially be the future of the national side. 

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Yet we haven't seen any resemblence of that brilliance since. One of those players who have peaked early on and regressed ever since. 

I still think Immobile and Belotti can work out, especially in time for Euro 2020. The latter can potentially be the future of the national side. 

Let's be fair to the bloke though, he was the team's top scorer in the build up to Brazil 2014 and after that, couldn't get back in the team under Conte or Ventura. Pretty much been discarded for two years. 

I feel like his move to Nice has been really beneficial for him. Admittedly, I've not watched a lot of their games but you cannot argue that his goal return over there hasn't been too bad. He deserved a call up and never got it.

They were crying out for him in the games I saw against Sweden but he wasn't in favour. I don't rate Immobile but Belotti could be decent. I'd still have Balotelli in that squad without a shadow though, even as an option off the bench.

8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Let's be fair to the bloke though, he was the team's top scorer in the build up to Brazil 2014 and after that, couldn't get back in the team under Conte or Ventura. Pretty much been discarded for two years. 

I feel like his move to Nice has been really beneficial for him. Admittedly, I've not watched a lot of their games but you cannot argue that his goal return over there hasn't been too bad. He deserved a call up and never got it.

They were crying out for him in the games I saw against Sweden but he wasn't in favour. I don't rate Immobile but Belotti could be decent. I'd still have Balotelli in that squad without a shadow though, even as an option off the bench.

@Fusion Could score 20+ goals in the french league tbf 

21 minutes ago, Cicero said:

@Fusion Could score 20+ goals in the french league tbf 

You can only play what's in front of you. It's probably going to earn him a bigger move in the summer but it needs to work out for him

If Italy seriously consider the likes of Gabbiadini, Eder, Zaza etc as better squad options over Mario, then they can gladly enjoy watching tournaments at home.

It looks as though Mancini recognises this and is keen to give Balotelli a lifeline. Up to him now if he takes that chance. 

So finocchio Mancini takes over... I don't know what to make of that one to be honest but what I do know for sure is that there's no revolution of the like that was being begged for by many quarters in the Italian football world.  Instead we have this which is neither here nor there.

rrzs027yig-mancini-in-versione-finocchio

Balotelli back in the side and back in the goals last night in Mancini's first game. They have missed him as I alluded to in here before.

Interesting stats, Mancini's starting XI last night had an average age of 26 years. This is the youngest Italian side to start since 2010.

Perhaps an inclination of what Mancini is looking to do.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Balotelli back in the side and back in the goals last night in Mancini's first game. They have missed him as I alluded to in here before.

Interesting stats, Mancini's starting XI last night had an average age of 26 years. This is the youngest Italian side to start since 2010.

Perhaps an inclination of what Mancini is looking to do.

Players like Totti, Buffon, Pirlo, Chiellini, De Rossi making way for the younger generation is probably what this Italy side needed anyway. 

Archived