talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

MK Dons - What's Gone Wrong?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no idea of the 'MK way' philosophy as I, like many, was quite prepared to dismiss everything the club did as cancerous simply because of the circumstances of their existence. Running as a true 'community' club as a league side is quite bold, but nobody highlighted it as an issue when they got into the Championship. Far more concerning for them is the failure to replace a core of players who became synonymous with the club, Dean Bowditch, Stephen Gleeson, Luke Chadwick et al - especially when they had £5m(ish?) of Dele Alli money to invest. With 'identity' coming at a premium in Milton Keynes as a whole, I'd argue the fatal flaw for that club was falling into the trap of hiring journeymen with no affiliation to the club - there's an absence of consistency and it has clearly bitten them. 

Interesting that the journo writing suggests pumping money into the League Two campaign to bounce back. A - what are their finances actually like, and B - is that lack of a core not what saw them drop this year? League Two is incredibly competitive, and as Chesterfield have seen this year, there's no guarantee that a relegated side can walk it. 

For the very first time ever since they were created, AFC Wimbledon will be officially above MK Dons in the football league pyramid from next season.

I think we can all agree this is brilliant news. Long live the Crazy Gang.

Firstly, Karl Robinson is a proper arrogant clown. This is a man who took about five seasons to get promoted, when Dele Alli and Will Grigg fired them to promotion, despite having a pretty big budget in League One. He also then went on to Charlton where he was leading them to another season of mid-table mediocrity before he did them a favour by leaving, allowing Lee Bowyer the opportunity to resurrect their promotion charge. Don’t expect anything other than rubbish at Oxford next season, the man is a fraud. 

As for MK Dons, they’ve made some poor choices when it’s come to managers. Robbie Neilson joins the list of blokes who’ve come south of the border and failed miserably and this last fella they appointed, he was, frankly, a nobody and an utterly bemusing appointment.

It’s a good point about their recruitment and retention, too. Frankly, it’s been woeful and they’ve never replaced a nucleus of players that seemed to perform reasonably well for them and they seem to have replaced them with a mixture of rubbish and some untested young players, testament to Robinson’s ability as a manager. 

As for AFC Hypocrites. Fuck ‘em. Sooner they go best, the better. All this faux sympathy and support they get is outrageous when they’ve done very similar to what happened to them, to Kingstonian, who are now homeless and playing away from their traditional area. It’d be great to see them tumble back to where they’ve come from.  

On 02/05/2018 at 08:48, Smiley Culture said:

Firstly, Karl Robinson is a proper arrogant clown. This is a man who took about five seasons to get promoted, when Dele Alli and Will Grigg fired them to promotion, despite having a pretty big budget in League One. He also then went on to Charlton where he was leading them to another season of mid-table mediocrity before he did them a favour by leaving, allowing Lee Bowyer the opportunity to resurrect their promotion charge. Don’t expect anything other than rubbish at Oxford next season, the man is a fraud. 

As for MK Dons, they’ve made some poor choices when it’s come to managers. Robbie Neilson joins the list of blokes who’ve come south of the border and failed miserably and this last fella they appointed, he was, frankly, a nobody and an utterly bemusing appointment.

It’s a good point about their recruitment and retention, too. Frankly, it’s been woeful and they’ve never replaced a nucleus of players that seemed to perform reasonably well for them and they seem to have replaced them with a mixture of rubbish and some untested young players, testament to Robinson’s ability as a manager. 

As for AFC Hypocrites. Fuck ‘em. Sooner they go best, the better. All this faux sympathy and support they get is outrageous when they’ve done very similar to what happened to them, to Kingstonian, who are now homeless and playing away from their traditional area. It’d be great to see them tumble back to where they’ve come from.  

I might be wrong here but didn't Kingstonian choose to sell their ground to Chelsea? 

14 minutes ago, BounceAroundTheGround said:

I might be wrong here but didn't Kingstonian choose to sell their ground to Chelsea? 

AFC Wimbledon took over the running of Kingsmeadow some time ago and effectively relegated Kingstonian to tenants. Wimbledon therefore sold the ground to Chelsea and there was some form of compensation package to Kingstonian, whether that was from Chelsea, Wimbledon or a combination of the two, I’m not sure but land in that part of the world is at a premium and incredibly expensive, basically meaning they’re homeless for the foreseeable. 

But people get angry that MK Dons ‘killed’ a team and moved them to a different area, yet forgetting that AFC Wimbledon muscled in on another club, took over their ground and played a part in booting them out, meaning they’re now playing in a different area. 

4 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

AFC Wimbledon took over the running of Kingsmeadow some time ago and effectively relegated Kingstonian to tenants. Wimbledon therefore sold the ground to Chelsea and there was some form of compensation package to Kingstonian, whether that was from Chelsea, Wimbledon or a combination of the two, I’m not sure but land in that part of the world is at a premium and incredibly expensive, basically meaning they’re homeless for the foreseeable. 

Chelsea gave them a compensatory figure of one million. They've bought Chessington Golf Course which is opposite Chessington South Station. The one every one goes to get to Chessington World of Adventures. On a Saturday it's about an hours journey on buses with public transport. The nearest pub is a good 35/40 minute journey. 

To put in perspective the school next to Chessington South Station which is the school I attended cost 27 million to rebuild from 2006 to 2009. It's really not that impressive and they didn't have to buy out a popular golf course beforehand. So 1 million isn't going to get you very far.

If it wasn't for AFC Wimbledon I don't see why Kingstonian wouldn't still be better than Sutton United. The creation of AFC has sucked the life out of them. 

Archived