• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Stoke City & The Champions League Winners

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

they're certain to go down.

Can see Afellay going back to Dutch football. It's gone vastly downhill for him since leaving Barca.

Darren Fletcher - probably stay there?

Jese - his is only a loan deal right? So back to PSG but I presume he'll end up back in Spain.

Xherdan Shaqiri - if he wants to stay in England he'll easily get a club in the Premier League.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Pretty much as @Stan said for me. Afellay will end up back in Holland. Failing that perhaps in the Bundesliga or with Olympiacos as he's had loan spells with both in the past. 

Fletcher is too old to demand a big money move, he will either leave or move to a Huddersfield/Brighton/West Ham type club, or one that's promoted and wants some experiance. 

Jese is on loan so will go back to PSG before being shipped out again. With Lad Palmas being relegated I can see him going home. 

Shaqri is vastly overrated for me but will go to a Premier League club (if he wants) without a doubt. 

Not that it fits the bill of the thread, but the big question is what happens now with Jack Butland.

Liverpool apparently going for Butland but I'm torn if they should stick with Karius or buy someone new. If they want to get to the next level and look at challenging for the title realistically they'd need someone better than Karius and Butland. Not sure who that player is, mind. 

I wonder if someone like Chelsea will go for Butland if Courtois goes. 

I can see Butland being tapped up by Liverpool or possibly Arsenal. Two clubs that need to improve their keeping position.

Or a complete curveball here but possibly West Ham if they stay up. Can't see them going back for Hart if they can get Butland.

I see Butland ending up in a top 5 club if any of them sell ( De Gea or Courtois). He'll help reach the England national player minimum for clubs. 

Bojan- Hoping he stays actually think he'll be great asset in championship

Jese- After heading back to PSG i assume he'll go back to spain.

Darren Fletcher- He'll probably stay unless one of the recent promoted clubs want him, but I'd like him to stick around in championship for us.

Affelay- Probably end up back in dutch league or maybe someone in Italy might take a punt on him.

Shaqiri- I'm pretty certain he'll go to either Everton or West Ham for some reason.

I'm also interested to see where N'diaye, Joe Allen and Bauer go. I think in total we are supposed to lose about 12 first squad players? I know we are cutting Choupo-Moting, Glen Johnson and Charlie Adam which is fine by me all dead weight on over priced wages anyway.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I can see Butland being tapped up by Liverpool or possibly Arsenal. Two clubs that need to improve their keeping position.

Or a complete curveball here but possibly West Ham if they stay up. Can't see them going back for Hart if they can get Butland.

No ta, he's crap

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Is Butland actually any good? I've not seen enough of him to be informed but when I have, he looks pretty wobbly.

He's Joe Hart 2.0, he'll put up games where you think he's one of the best in the world then he puts up games where you are like.... forreal?

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Prefer Karius to Butland tbh. Both at a similar level imo.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Liverpool apparently going for Butland

According to who?

Apart from him being shite, none of our reliables have ever said we are after him as far as I know? 

Bloody hope not anyway 

A year ago I'd have taken Butland but he looks like a really shake pair of hands now. Usually keepers end up being the standout for relegation sides, but he's looked just as ask as the rest of them. 

Stick with Karius over him for definite.

• Subscriber

We can steer well clear of Shaqiri please. Looks class in his highlights but too inconsistent and offers nothing outside of his attacking returns. We already have Bolasie for that who has his place but we don't need two "maybe" attacking players and I imagine he'd demand pretty mega wages.

10 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t rate Jack Butland? He’s never really shown much for me and he’s had a long injury lay-off. I wouldn’t touch him if I were Liverpool. 

I've seen him look really good and I've seen him look really bad.

If we're going to go with someone that's got the potential to be a really good keeper, but isn't quite there... I'd prefer to stick with Karius. Young for a keeper, showed promise in Germany, came to us and was shiiiiiiiite and lost his job, and ended up managing to wrestle the starting spot back (maybe because he was competing with Mignolet... but still). And now that he's back in the starting XI, he's much improved in all regards.

I do agree that Mignolet is poo and needs to go. But I don't see what the point in rewarding positive steps in Karius's development by immediately replacing him is. I'd prefer us to bring in a experienced and proven keeper who'd be alright with sitting on the bench for a year or two as we see if this is just a temporary uptick in Karius's form... or to just be a standby as Karius keeps this upward trajectory in his development.

Who that keeper might be... I have no idea. But I'd rather see our transfer budget go towards other areas of the pitch before abandoning Karius's development. I think we need a lot of depth and a defensive midfielder & new CB at a minimum.

Archived