talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Yugoslavia WC 2018

Recently, I read an interesting article about the former Yugoslavian national team in International tournaments, and while to all intents and purposes, the dissolution of Yugoslavia has been a positive thing, it has unfortunately been to the detriment to the world of football when you think about the sides they could have fielded.

With that in mind, I wondered what their best eleven would be if they were still old school Yugoslavia and had their pick of the pool from the likes of Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia etc. Below was the team the article put on paper. 

--------------------------------------------------------------Jan Oblak (Slovenia)

---------------------Stefan Savic (Montenegro) Sime Vrsaljko (Croatia) Branislav ivanovic (Serbia)

Ivan Perisic (Croatia)-----------------------------Nemanja Matic (Serbia)-----------------------Alexsander Kolarov (Serbia)

------------------------------------------Ivan Rakitic (Croatia)---------Miralem Pjanic (Bosnia)

---------------------------------------------------------------Luka Modric (Croatia)

---------------------------------------------------------------Edin Dzeko (Bosnia)

Any possible changes? Additional squad players?

On paper, I think that would look seriously competitive in the World Cup this summer. Could they really have gone all the way or what point would they get knocked out?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I'd go with 4-1-3-2 to have Perisic playing higher up 

Oblak

Vrsalkjo - Savic - Nastasic - Kolarov

Matic

Perisic - Modric - Rakitic

Pjanic

Dzeko

Subs: Ivanovic, Tadic, Mandzukic, Kovacic, Kramaric, Brozovic, Lovren

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'd go with 4-1-3-2 to have Perisic playing higher up 

Oblak

Matic

Perisic - Modric - Rakitic

Pjanic

Dzeko

Switch Perisic and Pjanic.

20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Recently, I read an interesting article about the former Yugoslavian national team in International tournaments, and while to all intents and purposes, the dissolution of Yugoslavia has been a positive thing, it has unfortunately been to the detriment to the world of football when you think about the sides they could have fielded.

I don't want to put the topic in a different direction, but is that really true?

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Spike said:

Switch Perisic and Pjanic.

Oblak

Modric - Matic

Perisic - Pjanic - Rakitic

Dzeko

Perhaps that? I know Modric sometimes plays deeper at Madrid and I don't really like it but makes it less narrow I guess. 

Individually that midfield of 5 is ridiculously strong and as much as I want Kramaric/Mandzukic helping Dzeko out it's hard to sacrifice one of the midfield. 

42 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't want to put the topic in a different direction, but is that really true?

As you say, that's another topic which shouldn't be discussed here but I would say there would be quite a split number of opinions on this so possibly not, no.

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

Modric - Matic

Perisic - Pjanic - Rakitic

That midfield is a dream though. Would surely be one of the best, possibly even the best, at the World Cup.

There is also a team you can do with Dutch players at the World cup 2018 even though they are not in it, there are several that are going to the World cup that could of been eligible to play for the Dutch National team. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

That midfield is a dream though. Would surely be one of the best, possibly even the best, at the World Cup.

Some could rival it....

Brazil

Casemiro - Fernandinho

Coutinho - Paulinho - Douglas Costa

France

Kante

Pogba - Rabiot - Matuidi

(back-ups - Coman, Nzonzi, Payet, Tollisso, Lemar)

Spain

Busquets

Silva - Iniesta - Isco/Asensio

(back-ups - Dani Parejo, Koke, Thiago, Saul Niguez)

Germany

Khedira/Can

Ozil - Kroos - Sane

(back-ups - Gotze, Gundogan, Goretzka, Draxler, 

Argentina

Biglia

Di Maria - Banega - Lo Celso

(back-ups - Perotti, Paredez, Lanzini, Pastore)

Belgium

Nainggolan

Mertens - De Bruyne - Hazard

(back-ups - Carrasco, Tielemans, Witsel, Fellaini)

Obviously that's not how they'll line up but based on players chosen (of which there could be glaring omissions which I apologise for in advance!) there's some very strong squads out there. 

On 02/05/2018 at 09:34, Lucas said:

With that in mind, I wondered what their best eleven would be if they were still old school Yugoslavia and had their pick of the pool from the likes of Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia etc. Below was the team the article put on paper. 

--------------------------------------------------------------Jan Oblak (Slovenia)

---------------------Stefan Savic (Montenegro) Sime Vrsaljko (Croatia) Branislav ivanovic (Serbia)

Ivan Perisic (Croatia)-----------------------------Nemanja Matic (Serbia)-----------------------Alexsander Kolarov (Serbia)

------------------------------------------Ivan Rakitic (Croatia)---------Miralem Pjanic (Bosnia)

---------------------------------------------------------------Luka Modric (Croatia)

---------------------------------------------------------------Edin Dzeko (Bosnia)

Any possible changes? Additional squad players?

On paper, I think that would look seriously competitive in the World Cup this summer. Could they really have gone all the way or what point would they get knocked out?

Croatia had a separate team, so let's rule them players out. 

The balance in midfield as it is without Luka Miliojevic is terrible anyway.

• 1 month later...

Very interesting. In theory, it´s a very good team. 

But in typical balkanic fashion, the dressing room would be a mess, ethnic divisions would disrupt the performance and this team would be eliminated in the group stage. xD

Archived