talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kieran Tierney - Signs for Arsenal

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

He would be a first choice for 90% of the EPL. Why would he move to Bournemouth?

?

I wasn't saying he should move to Bournemouth over his other options. I was saying that even Bournemouth would be a step up.

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

Bournemouth are probably more likely to be able to afford him. 

Unfortunately that might be true... if they're willing to spend £15m on Jordan Ibe in 2016 and £19m on Solanke, who knows what they'd bid here.

• Subscriber

878662486_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.249cbe1e0e0855c325d5e7434185b6dc.png

The reason why Kieran Tierney was in London explained as Arsenal transfer links intensify

The latest on the Gunners' chase for Celtic full-back

Kieran Tierney is hotly tipped to complete a move to Arsenal this summer.

The 22-year-old full-back has been likened to Liverpool star Andy Robertson and is expected to join his fellow Scot in the Premier League at some point.

Whether that is this summer remains to be seen, but the Gunners are keen to secure his signature.

Arsenal has been keeping a close eye on Kieran Tierney for several years but there has never been a more perfect time for the Gunners to move for the Celtic full-back than now.

A £15million offer has been given short shrift by the Scottish champions but a reported price tag of £25million is within Arsenal's reach, even if it swallows up a significant proportion of their £45million budget.

The Gunners are 2/5 odds-on to tie up a deal this summer with Sky Bet and speculation intensified on Saturday evening when there was talk of Tierney being in London.

Suggestions were that the youngster was talking to Arsenal about a move to the Emirates, but that is not the case.

Tierney is good friends with mixed martial arts star Chris Bungard, with the Scottish fighter admitting as much in an interview with the BBC.

Bungard said: "Kieran is a friend. During pre-season he would sometimes come down to the gym and do a bit of training. But outside of the gym we go for food and stuff like that. He's a great guy."

And Bungard is the reason Tierney was spotted in London. That's because Bungard was taking on Charlie Leary at Bellator London on Saturday night.

There's always a simple explanation isn't there...

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/transfer-news/reason-kieran-tierney-london-explained-16472473

• Subscriber

1709966360_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.f5a552f07a59364dc994602f75ed32d2.png

Arsenal will have to spend over half their summer transfer budget to sign Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney

Arsenal will have to spend more than half of their summer transfer kitty if they are to sign Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney.

The Scottish champions have rejected two bids from Arsenal, both of which are believed to be less than £19 million, for the 22-year-old.

Celtic value Tierney at closer to £25m, a fee which would make the full-back the most expensive player ever sold by the Scottish club.

Arsenal has a transfer budget of around £45m this summer but they will be able to reinvest any proceeds they generate through player sales.

Tierney’s wage demands are not thought to be a problem for Arsenal, who have been desperately trying to trim their bloated wage bill but are able to offer the full-back a deal in the region of £70,000-a-week.

The task of convincing Celtic to sell one of their prized assets will be complicated by the enormous fee that Manchester United are set to pay for Crystal Palace full-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

Palace is looking to receive £50m for the defender, who has made 46 senior appearances for his club and a handful of showings for the England Under-21 side. Tierney, by contrast, has played 170 games for Celtic and captained Scotland at the age of 20.

Tierney suffered from injury problems last season, though, and underwent surgery for a double hernia at the end of May.

Arsenal has been looking for a long-term replacement at left-back for Nacho Monreal, who turned 33 in February. Sead Kolasinac has struggled at times in a back four, while Tierney can also provide cover at centre-back in both a four-man and three-man defence.

Meanwhile, Laurent Koscielny’s agent has held talks with the club over his future in north London. The Arsenal captain’s contract expires at the end of next season and the Frenchman will make a decision on his future over the coming weeks.

He will be able to leave for free at the end of next season but, at the age of 33, the French centre-half could decide that this summer is his last chance to move to another European club. According to reports in France, Lyon and Rennes are among the clubs interested in bringing Koscielny back to his home country.

If Koscielny left Arsenal, he would be the third of head coach Unai Emery’s five captains to depart the club this summer, after Petr Cech and Aaron Ramsey.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/24/arsenal-must-spend-half-summer-transfer-budget-sign-kieran-tierney/

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why has a club like Arsenal, in this day and age when football is swamped with money, only got £45m to spend on transfers?

Fuck me, Aston Villa have spent more than that already. 

I don't know but it's embarrassing. They apparently just bid £5m for one of RB Salzburg's brightest young talents. 

Theyre making offers like its still the 1990s and they're the only ones who know who the good players around Europe are. 

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why has a club like Arsenal, in this day and age when football is swamped with money, only got £45m to spend on transfers?

Fuck me, Aston Villa have spent more than that already. 

They can only spend within their means. Funds injected from the club's operations only, as Kroncke won't put a penny in. 

They also have players on ridiculous wages. 

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

They can only spend within their means. Funds injected from the club's operations only, as Kroncke won't put a penny in. 

They also have players on ridiculous wages. 

£45m is well within their means mate, well below. 

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

£45m is well within their means mate, well below. 

I think the £45m was projected profit for the club that was generated from the club's operations. 

I think what Arsenal are dealing with currently is having a squad filled with higher earners, and an owners that doesn't want to put a penny in. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think the £45m was projected profit for the club that was generated from the club's operations. 

I think what Arsenal are dealing with currently is having a squad filled with higher earners, and an owners that doesn't want to put a penny in. 

Yeah that makes sense mate. £45m profit does seem really low though? 

Those behind the transfers at Arsenal need a hiding. Consistent offering sums that would have maybe bought the player ten years ago, but not in this current market. £15m for one of the most talented left backs in Europe? Get to absolute fuck you melons. 

On 25/06/2019 at 16:42, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah that makes sense mate. £45m profit does seem really low though? 

We are projected to make a £70m loss this year apparently. We are actually very close to being done by FFP as well. Budget will definitely increase if we can move a good amount of players on though. 

Not sure why everyone is rattled by our opening bid. Apparently Tierney can be had for £22m, obviously we are just negotiating. I'm sure our bid included player going Celtic's way as well. 

On 26/06/2019 at 18:45, Chaaay AFC said:

We are projected to make a £70m loss this year apparently. We are actually very close to being done by FFP as well. Budget will definitely increase if we can move a good amount of players on though. 

Not sure why everyone is rattled by our opening bid. Apparently Tierney can be had for £22m, obviously we are just negotiating. I'm sure our bid included player going Celtic's way as well. 

That's just the net spending from transfers for last season and it's not a lot. No way we're making a loss after the TV money, merchandise money, stadium sponsor, kit sponsor and kit sleeve sponsor. Our wages are 58% of our outgoings which is said to be a healthy percentage (under 60%).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2019/04/26/premier-league-wages-are-a-disgrace-except-when-your-teams-winning/

Have no idea how we've supposedly got stuck with only £45m to spend. Only answer I can think of is Kroenke taking home a large chunk of the profits especially with the LA Rams' new stadium costing a billion dollars.

Have Arsenal taken out big loans under Kroenke?

After 2 decades of routine champions league qualifications though, this recent spell for Arsenal not being a top 4 side for the past few years may be something the board wasn’t really accounting for. 

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Have Arsenal taken out big loans under Kroenke?

After 2 decades of routine champions league qualifications though, this recent spell for Arsenal not being a top 4 side for the past few years may be something the board wasn’t really accounting for. 

No our only loans have been through the stadium and since 2013 we haven't had to pay that much annually for it. The biggest reason is the way we have wasted money in the last 5 years, we have also got a champions league wage bill and haven't been in the competition for 3 seasons now. Not to mention failing to sell players for any money at all and keeping mistakes for far too long. 

You can point the finger at Kroenke as he is the only owner in the league to have not invested a single penny in to their club. I believe he is an issue more could potentially be supplied and he seemed to have too much faith in Wenger and Gazidis who put us in a horrendous situation. It's just going to take a few seasons to clear up the mess and reset. 

10 hours ago, 6666 said:

That's just the net spending from transfers for last season and it's not a lot. No way we're making a loss after the TV money, merchandise money, stadium sponsor, kit sponsor and kit sleeve sponsor. Our wages are 58% of our outgoings which is said to be a healthy percentage (under 60%).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2019/04/26/premier-league-wages-are-a-disgrace-except-when-your-teams-winning/

Have no idea how we've supposedly got stuck with only £45m to spend. Only answer I can think of is Kroenke taking home a large chunk of the profits especially with the LA Rams' new stadium costing a billion dollars.

Exactly that's why we are facing FFP issues, that's why players have to be moved on so we can buy more and add to our wage bill. If we can move some shite on our budget should be a lot better. 

• Subscriber

I was watching Premier League years earlier and it struck me how many absolutely terrible footballers had extended stays at Arsenal getting chance after chance. Other big clubs had their duds but Arsenal had a particular knack for keeping them on board seemingly forever. 

I'm talking about Almunia, Senderos, Aliadiere, Iwobi, Bendtner and the like. Its criminal that these players who should be remembered for failing at Arsenal and spending the rest of their careers battling lower mid table mediocrity with Stoke and West Brom, are actually primarily remembered as Arsenal players who were part of the first team for long enough for that to be the main part of their career.

And yes, this post is totally irrelevant to Tierney. Fuck tha police.

38 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I was watching Premier League years earlier and it struck me how many absolutely terrible footballers had extended stays at Arsenal getting chance after chance. Other big clubs had their duds but Arsenal had a particular knack for keeping them on board seemingly forever. 

I'm talking about Almunia, Senderos, Aliadiere, Iwobi, Bendtner and the like. Its criminal that these players who should be remembered for failing at Arsenal and spending the rest of their careers battling lower mid table mediocrity with Stoke and West Brom, are actually primarily remembered as Arsenal players who were part of the first team for long enough for that to be the main part of their career.

And yes, this post is totally irrelevant to Tierney. Fuck tha police.

I think Iwobi's pretty decent compared to the rest of the players you listed, because players like Senderos, Aliadiere, and Bendtner are like meme tier players (like Mustafi! lol) but I've seen a few matches where Iwobi is one of the better Arsenal players.

On 26/06/2019 at 18:45, Chaaay AFC said:

It's as much offence at Arsenal as worry that Celtic's board is thick enough to accept a bid like that.

Dembele went for like 20mil last year, and if he was to be sold from Lyon now he would be worth at least 40mil. Van Dijk went for 12mil and a couple of seasons later he was worth 70mil.  Did these players get twice or five times as good in such a short space of time? Obviously not, they were just dramatically undervalued.

Tierney is one of the top full back talents in the world. Any club that got him for less than £30 million would be getting an almost criminally good deal. 

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Dembele went for like 20mil last year, and if he was to be sold from Lyon now he would be worth at least 40mil. Van Dijk went for 12mil and a couple of seasons later he was worth 70mil. Did these players get twice or five times as good in such a short space of time? Obviously not, they were just dramatically undervalued.

Doing it in a better league raises a player's credibility and in turn raises their value.

• The title was changed to Kieran Tierney - Arsenal Agree Fee With Celtic

Archived