talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Propose 'Mini World Cup'

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

China's spent a lot of money improving their football infrastructure (to be honest, they've spent a lot of money just generally improving all of their infrastructure overall. I've never seen train stations like their high speed rail - seriously impressive). They'd be a good candidate as a host nation for a World Cup.

The one sticking point is, despite their investment into new stadiums and throwing money into their league... China is not very good at football.

Then again neither is Qatar.

I rather would like to see a rule that one must already qualify for the WC at least once to bid for hosting the thing

On 05/03/2018 at 12:21, Devon Von Devon said:

I rather would like to see a rule that one must already qualify for the WC at least once to bid for hosting the thing

Don't agree with that. It can help some countries improve. Don't think it is relevant if they have previously qualified or not.

On 05/02/2018 at 22:09, Dr. Gonzo said:

China's spent a lot of money improving their football infrastructure (to be honest, they've spent a lot of money just generally improving all of their infrastructure overall. I've never seen train stations like their high speed rail - seriously impressive). They'd be a good candidate as a host nation for a World Cup.

The one sticking point is, despite their investment into new stadiums and throwing money into their league... China is not very good at football.

Then again neither is Qatar.

For me they are the biggest underachievers in world football. Sure Asian footballers are possibly at a genetic disadvantage in terms of physicality but china go through the Asian qualifiers. With a population of 1 billion they should have qualified more.

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

For me they are the biggest underachievers in world football. Sure Asian footballers are possibly at a genetic disadvantage in terms of physicality but china go through the Asian qualifiers. With a population of 1 billion they should have qualified more.

I agree. I do think there's reasons though that China have underachieved so much, especially when compared to other Asian nations. The decade of Mao's Cultural Revolution probably played some impact - and for a long time I don't think football was on anyone's priority list right now. Like Iran are still a pretty good Asian international side - even though I don't think the country has ever invested in football as seriously as it did pre-revolution (so pre-1979), which is when Iran was winning Asian Cups. But that infrastructure has kept Iran's football fairly competitive in Asia despite the Iran-Iraq war, 10-15 years of political purges, numerous economic meltdowns, etc... compared to China. Shows what prior investment can sort of do for the future.

But their current President has taken a personal involvement in football investment in China... so I think in decades to come we'll see a better China on the international stage.

10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Don't agree with that. It can help some countries improve. Don't think it is relevant if they have previously qualified or not.

Did South Korea improved after their historic World Cup run at home soil ?

Did South Africa produced a golden generation after hosting the World Cup ?

One must invest in youth level and domestic infrastructure if they thinking long term progression.

Archived