talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga to be shown on Eleven Sports in the UK

• Administrator

From 2018/19, the rights have been lost to Eleven Sports (owned by Leeds chairman Andrea Radrizzani).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43976560

Pretty shite :( 

Sky have lost the live TV rights to show La Liga matches in the UK and Ireland after Eleven Sports secured an exclusive three-year deal.

It brings to an end Sky's 20-year association with the Spanish league's top flight.

Founded in 2015, Eleven Sports is owned by Italian Andrea Radrizzani, who became Leeds United chairman in 2017.

The partnership will begin from the start of the 2018-19 season and run until the end of the 2020-21 campaign.

"Eleven Sports are an excellent partner for us in various markets across Europe and we are delighted to have the opportunity to work with them in the UK and Ireland - important markets for us in which La Liga is very popular," said Javier Tebas, president of La Liga.

Eleven Sports is also established in several other European countries including Poland, Belgium, Luxembourg and Italy, as well as in the USA, Singapore and Taiwan, with rights including Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and Formula 1.

The broadcaster must now decide how it will show the competition in the UK.

Its 'over the top' rights, mean it can broadcast online via a website or app for subscribers, as it does in Italy.

Alternatively it might consider setting up its own channel in the UK to show La Liga or exercise the right to sub-license particular La Liga games to other broadcasters.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might as well get rid of Sky then as there is literally nothing on it anymore. I couldn't give 2 fucks about the Premier League, it has no Champions league anymore and they don't show enough lower league games(from the ones I want to watch) to justify spending such money.

This is terrible for La Liga as it's now on a channel that nobody in the country has even heard of, aren't subscribed to and will never watch. Pretty much everyone watches and has Sky.

Tebas is an utter fucking mong as well. How does he think this is good for La Liga? Does he realise that this will lose every single viewer England has? Nobody will watch it at all now, they will watch a different foreign league, if any at all.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I might as well get rid of Sky then as there is literally nothing on it anymore. I couldn't give 2 fucks about the Premier League, it has no Champions league anymore and they don't show enough lower league games(from the ones I want to watch) to justify spending such money.

This is terrible for La Liga as it's now on a channel that nobody in the country has even heard of, aren't subscribed to and will never watch. Pretty much everyone watches and has Sky.

Tebas is an utter fucking mong as well. How does he think this is good for La Liga? Does he realise that this will lose every single viewer England has? Nobody will watch it at all now, they will watch a different foreign league, if any at all.

yeah it was always La Liga or Serie A at the weekend for me (and Premier League). 

I move back home soon and contract is up so think we'll go with BT Sport as opposed to paying extra for Virgin (what I have now) or Sky. 

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

yeah it was always La Liga or Serie A at the weekend for me (and Premier League). 

I move back home soon and contract is up so think we'll go with BT Sport as opposed to paying extra for Virgin (what I have now) or Sky. 

It's Leeds United's fault :ph34r: @Lucas

BT Sport are the ones who should have got it since they have a lot of other competitions, including the Champs league and also other sports such as UFC.

• Subscriber
Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

Sky are wank now. what do they even have? WWE? pffft.

What a joke of a company they have become, their subscription prices should drop around 70%.

Not a prayer I'd pay for it if I lived alone. We have it at home but it's not my choice.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Sky are wank now. what do they even have? WWE? pffft.

What a joke of a company they have become, their subscription prices should drop around 70%.

they have a lot to be honest because they have their specific channels.

Premier League
EFL
Scottish Cup
Every F1 Race, qualifying, practice
A fuck load of cricket
A fuck load of golf
Brand new Horse Racing Channel
Boxing and Wrestling (ppv)

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

How much of it are people actually interested in though? EFL, Scottish Cup, Cricket, Golf and Horse Racing you wouldn't give up a shag for.

Premier League and Boxing is the only thing really worth watching and the fighting is PPV.

Well it's down to preference isn't it? There's obviously enough demand to have those sports and occasionally dedicate a channel for it? 

Gutted about this, I prefer the La Liga stuff to the Premier League if I'm totally honest, mainly because La Liga doesn't have the over the top pundits and commentators who are constantly pushing the "best league in the World" down your throat.

Shocked that Sky are falling so far behind, losing the Champions League and now La Liga. Where do they go from here? Do they try and break the tradition of no 3pm's and try and show as many games of Premier League Football as possible? There's no major leagues for them to get their hands on in the short-term. Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1 are BT's and after that, what's left? Sky have Eredivisie but I can't see that producing good viewing figures.

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

How much of it are people actually interested in though? EFL, Scottish Cup, Cricket, Golf and Horse Racing you wouldn't give up a shag for.

Premier League and Boxing is the only thing really worth watching and the fighting is PPV.

Pretty much the same here but including the EFL as well. 

It is shocking though that Sky constantly push the subscription prices up, yet seem to lose more exclusive rights in the process. If the cost of Sky Sports keeps going up, I'd be tempted to cancel it.

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Have just seen that this Eleven Sports can sub-licence the coverage out to other broadcasters, so this could still stay on Sky.

What that could mean is that to watch all the La Liga games you could have to be subscribing to various platforms if they decide to licence out certain games.

There is a big positive in SKY UK losing the rights to La Liga from my point of view, and that is Gerry Armstrong finally not being permitted to have an opinion on games.

This happened with the EPL in Australia. Rights bought by someone who didn't even have a clear platform of how they were going to show the games. 

Here it was Optus. A mobile phone company. To get EPL you had to pay $15 a month  subscription fee but also had to have a mobile phone or internet account with that particular company. Sorry but I'm not paying out a phone contact early to switch providers in order to get access to a sport channel. 

This will go bad within a couple of years. Setanta all over again.

Sky were unwilling to pay £18m, if it isn't worth it to them good luck trying to get a new company no one has heard of to make it sustainable 

SKY in different countries seems to be almost completely independent because in Italy SKY Italia has just beat off competition from Berlusconi's Mediaset so as to keep the La Liga rights. :o

To be fair, this situation with the loss of La Liga with SKY UK just continues their strange downward spiral with losing sports licenses over recent years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Just now, Cannabis said:

Yeah saw that, flicked it on for five minutes just to see what it was all about and it's literally people playing FIFA with a commentator speaking over it all. An absolute farce in every sense of the word.

yeah I don't get this 'e-sports' revolution that's taking place. 

players actually represent actual football clubs don't they?

At least they went out on top, showing Iniesta's final Barcelona match.

Weird thinking about next season wondering how we are meant to see any La Liga matches. If this ends up requiring another channel to subscribe to, it could be the end of Spanish football being in the mainstream culture of British sports fans.

• 1 month later...

Archived