talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga to be shown on Eleven Sports in the UK

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

But just cancel both your SKY and BT SPORTS subscriptions mate.  Tell me, what are you getting for that money?

How much are you paying with both those platforms combined?

Thats how you hurt them first of all and secondly, you're a Blackburn Rovers fan and tell me what they give you in terms of value for money on the club you support?  It's blatantly shit and you're being sold a fable that's on the same plain as telling you fairies and dragons exist on an undiscovered island.

With Netflix and Eleven Sports I know you personally are getting almost everything you want with the plus that you're punishing them for blatantly ripping you off.

I don't have BT mate, I never have, but that's all the costs you'd have to pay if you did so. Sky is also going very soon and in all fairness, it's not like I couldn't still watch it as it's easy enough to use a family member or friend's sky card details in order to set up a skygo account to watch via the PS4 and give them a fiver a month, for example.

They don't give you any value for money anymore mate, there aren't enough games at all. This is why Sky Sports is going now mate as it's not really worth the money overall when you take everything into consideration.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I don't have BT mate, I never have, but that's all the costs you'd have to pay if you did so. Sky is also going very soon as it's not like I couldn't still watch it as it's easy to use a family member or friend's sky card details to set up a skygo account to watch via the PS4 and give them a tenner a month, for example.

They don't give you any value for money anymore mate, there aren't enough games at all. This is why Sky is going now mate as it's not really worth the money overall when you take everything into consideration.

Then if you cancel SKY (which offers you practically nothing as a football fan (much less who you support in the UK), you're actually saving money and you can mirror your Eleven Sports subscription on any to or device you like in HD.

I did use all of this as an excuse to get rid of the sports package for BT. My girlfriend hates me watching live football other than Palace during the week and the highlights show on itv is decent enough for the Champions League. Sky still has it's purpose on the weekend with Soccer Saturday, news channel, and big matches on the weekend. Streaming is an option but the best VPNs aren't exactly cheap, and everybody I know using them is buying two streaming suscriptions incase one crashes which is hardly cost efficient.

16 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Then if you cancel SKY (which offers you practically nothing as a football fan, much less who you support in the UK), you're actually saving money and you can mirror your Eleven Sports subscription on any to or device you like in HD.

I'm on their site and they have the UFC now as well? Or is that just in other countries?

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I'm on their site and they have the UFC now as well? Or is that just in other countries?

I'm not sure mate because I've only connected via their app (still haven't subscribed) and I posted their availability in terms of their prime packages in that screenshot.  It's also available in Italy (Eleven Sports Italia) and it's opening in Spain at the end of this month from what I've been told.  They're not messing around!

When we consider the amount of airtime football had back in the day with free-to-air and the wonderful job they done with that limited time, you have to wonder how much effort these subscription platforms are really putting in on all scopes.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

When we consider the amount of airtime football had back in the day with free-to-air and the wonderful job they done with that limited time, you have to wonder how much effort these subscription platforms are really putting in on all scopes.

I'm on their site now and noticed that it has 2 channels, "Eleven sports 1' and 'La Liga TV', so i'm guessing that means all La Liga games will be shown then considering how they are generally all on at different times and Eleven sports have a dedicated channel to it.

I've just started the free trial now to see what it's all about.

20 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I'm on their site now and noticed that it has 2 channels, "Eleven sports 1' and 'La Liga TV', so i'm guessing that means all La Liga games will be shown then considering how they are generally all on at different times and Eleven sports have a dedicated channel to it.

I've just started the free trial now to see what it's all about.

Tell us how it goes on here mate and everything you find out so we all know. ;)

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Eleven Sport have Eredivisie as well? What exactly do Sky have left? Apart from watching lads play FIFA?

There should be a Netflix style platform that you pay for that has every full 90 minute game on there that you can watch live or watch at your pleasure. 

Yeah, it's on now as we speak.

Then there is a separate La Liga tv channel.

@SirBalon is actually right by the looks of it. La Liga moving to Eleven is, without a doubt, for the best considering how they will likely show every game, so watching every Barcelona game won't be a problem. There is a dedicated La Liga TV channel after all. This may boost the product, which is what it needs as I find that it is falling behind, other than 3 clubs. When I say falling behind, I mean the Prem as it's not falling behind any other league in this regard. Better tv deals and more money is what La Liga needs to challenge that.

Revista de la liga on Sky had gone stale and I found their coverage started to become half arsed, after years of actually doing a brilliant job. They only really care for their main product, the Premier League now, but they are even losing a lot of that now. Eleven Sports, on the other hand, seems to hold La Liga as their prized possession as it stands and they even have rights to show Barça.TV I have just gathered, which means all the best bits will be shown over 3 hour shows. I should have looked into it BEFORE having a rant, rather than after it. They aren't perfect yet but if they can get an app out on the PS4 and other devices, and also gain rights to UFC and the Champions league(along with some Premier league games even), then that would be class to be honest.

The commentary seems pretty shit, which is the downfall, but as it grows, maybe better commentators will be attracted to it.

It seems as though Serie A fans will suffer more as I bet they will only show half of the weeks Serie A games or so, since they don't have a dedicated TV channel like La Liga.

What about the Copa Del rey by the way? Will they also show that does anyone know?

On the swbate about SKY... We honestly have to come to the conclusion that it’s either dying here in the UK with all the competition around now (this is what I believe) or they’re planning a future revolution.

In Italy they had part of Serie ‘A’ snatched from them by Mediaset and also as in the UK the Champions League. The problem in Italy is that in general (small towns) there isn’t a watching it in the bar culture (there is in the big cities) which means people subscribing to both platforms. But I know of plenty of people that have let go of SKY out there too. 

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I don’t know how they’ll be able to show every La Liga game as some are on at the same time. Not unless they have various feeds. 

Hopefully they have feeds everywhere, though how financially viable having cameras and crew at games like Leganes v Huesca would be. 

12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Hopefully they have feeds everywhere, though how financially viable having cameras and crew at games like Leganes v Huesca would be. 

But the cameras are already there. About 8 years ago it finished but previously you could watch every single La Liga game live on PPV in Spain through Canal+. You could either buy a season ticket with the club of your choice or literally buy the game/s you wanted every weekend. 

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

If every La Liga game is available to watch, I might be tempted for £6 a month. 

It looks like there will be mate since there is a seperate channel called La Liga TV on it. As long as the games are all on at different times, you'd expect all to be televised.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I don’t know how they’ll be able to show every La Liga game as some are on at the same time. Not unless they have various feeds. 

Actually mate, they are usually all played at different times one after another. It's only really the last few match days where they are on at the same time and the odd mid-week, etc. So every game will be aired most match weeks, unless some are on at the same time. Either way, it does look like La Liga is their priority in terms of football.

7 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Eleven Sport have Eredivisie as well? What exactly do Sky have left? Apart from watching lads play FIFA?

There should be a Netflix style platform that you pay for that has every full 90 minute game on there that you can watch live or watch at your pleasure. 

This is where the American sports are light-years ahead.

The NFL has Gamepass. You can either buy for just one team or the whole league.

I can watch every game live, or on demand (edited down to take out the stoppages) as well as 'Gametape' to view the match from different angles.

The problem with this Eleven Sports is that they don't seem to give out much information so beforehand you had the impression that just a few games of La Liga would be on every week and you wouldn't be guaranteed to catch the Barcelona games, but it didn't mention anything about the separate La Liga channel which is on it, where I would be surprised if most games weren't shown.

@SirBalon An idea of what's on(on La Liga TV) when there are no games on. Right now it has Messi's goals from last season and after this:-

6:00pm: Promoted teams: Real Valladolid

6:15: La Liga champions 2017-18

7:00: La Liga cities: FC Barcelona

7:30 La Liga 2017-18 week 08: Real Betis vs Valencia

9:30 La Liga World week 40

10:00 La Liga pre season 2018-19

11:00 La Liga World Challenge 2018 Boavista - Getafe CF

01:00 Iniesta: 'The life of a genius'

So I had a colleague at work find out some things about Eleven Sports for me.  He's still in the process of acquiring more info but these guys at Eleven Sports mean business and they're not going to stop at this!

As some have mentioned, they will be transmitting two football matches a week for free via their Facebook account which is quite interesting really for two reasons...

1. A portal to advertise the platform and also observe the habits of those that "like" their Facebook account and use it!
  2. for those that have AppleTV (a wonderful invention) the Facebook app isn't exactly a social media platform but a way to watch live streaming (my colleague is in the process of talking to them about the possible availability of a stand alone app for AppleTV)

Eleven Sports have also opened headquarters in the US, Belgium, Portugal, Singapore, Japan, China aside from already having heavy bases in the UK, Spain and Italy.

They've also joined up with the UK based radio platform TalkSport with acquiring the rights to radio Premier League transmitions in both China and Singapore.

Their association with TalkSport has prompted a high end meeting with the SKY international platform asking the new boys in town (Eleven Sports) what their plans for the future actually are... SKY running scared it seems from what my colleague has told me.

I'll have more info as and when it becomes available from my colleague at work but for him (he's a guru in everything media related) there are all the hallmarks of a relatively quick shift in power and how we are going to be consuming tv in the near future.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Fingers crossed it's the start of the modern generation of sports broadcasting and another nail in Sky's coffin.

Well look at what Netflix has done to traditional subscription platforms that are beamed through a dish or an antenna!

Netflix is essentially what Eleven Sports is... Infact it’s exactly the same thing and the whole world has accepted it with open arms because there’s no middleman and because of this amongst a few other reasons it’s cheaper. Watch Amazon, YouTube and Facebook jump on the bandwagon. SKY are a thing of yesterday and it shows in the lack of ability to hold onto prime sports. 

• Administrator

let's all move to India then. As above, here's the article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45178848

People in the Indian subcontinent will, from Friday, have only one way to watch top flight Spanish football: on Facebook.

The social network has signed an exclusive deal to show every La Liga game, for the next three seasons, to viewers in India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, The Maldives, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. The rights were previously held by Sony Pictures Network.

The terms of the new deal have not been disclosed. The last time they were for sale, in 2014, they were bought for $32m, according to Reuters.

There are 348m Facebook users in the region, 270m of them are in India.

It is the latest move from Facebook, and the tech industry in general, to invest in highly lucrative sports rights for emerging streaming services.

The social network already shows Major League Baseball to US audiences at a reported cost of $1m per game. As with the rest of Facebook, the content is free but supported by targeted advertising.

Speaking to Reuters, Facebook’s director of global live sports said the La Liga streams would at first be advertising-free, but it was considering how best to implement them in future.

“This is one deal,” Peter Hutton told the news agency. “It’s not something that is a big threat to broadcast world.”

It’s unlikely broadcasters will see it that way - and they’re wise not to.

Live sport is the major driver of subscriptions to premium cable or satellite services, and the slow creep of technology companies buying up sports rights will have traditional broadcasters concerned.

Since the rise of Netflix and others, live sport has been just about the only thing holding many potential cord-cutters back from making the chop.

The Facebook-La Liga deal is part of a global trend. In the UK, the current Premier League season will be the last time every live match will be shown on a TV channel.

Next season, 20 games will be online-only - viewable only through Amazon. The company will bundle the games in with its Prime subscription service.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

let's all move to India then. As above, here's the article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45178848

As I said in various posts earlier in this thread, it's the future of viewing especially sport... Sport being the revolutionary in a he medium. There's absolutely nothing unusual about watching tv this way when we consider the popularity of Netflix.

Archived