Champions League Final 2018 - LIVERPOOL 1-3 REAL MADRID

Champions League Final   

32 members have voted

1. 1. The Result

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not entirely his fault. 

Liverpool were at 1-1 when Bale scored. They simply weren't good enough when Salah went off. The whole dynamic of the game changed. They went from being the better team to looking out of their depth. A remarkable shift.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Is it true they left him alone and no-one came to see how he was doing??? I switched off at the end so never saw the final bits.. He must have absolutely gutted

I switched it of soon after the final whistle, but until that I only saw some Madrid players consoling him...

Poor guy. Two howlers in the CL final, no one to console him, and social media full of death threats and nasty things, even including his children... Hope he gets over it.

1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Liverpool were at 1-1 when Bale scored. They simply weren't good enough when Salah went off. The whole dynamic of the game changed. They went from being the better team to looking out of their depth. A remarkable shift.

Thing is shit happens.. No matter how well prepared you think you are you can never be prepared for what happened with him last night... and when that happens to a team mate you need to be getting around him.. you all win together and you all lose together.. 

What's really sad is he knows that a couple of errors have cost them dearly and the only way he will ever be able to make good on that is to be in another Final like this and play a blinder to tuck it away for good.. Chances like last night only come round once in a while and he will always, always be thinking about how things might have been and what he could have done differently... 

As Harvey said, It will haunt him for the rest of his career.. 

15 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Being honest i don't think we would have scored even if he hadn't let the first goal in.... his first error created that adversity and pressure that got us the equaliser.  We'd have just lost another way. 

I think the only thing to change the result would have been Salah not going off.

To be honest the second clanger he had was obviously poor and he should be easily keeping that out, but that isn't an unusual mistake. The first one though was an all time blunder, I don't think I have ever seen such a mistake at this level and don't expect to ever again. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Philippe Coutinho said:

Anyone know what happened here??

Yes xD happened this season in 2. Bundesliga, Duisburg v Ingolstadt. Just moments before this, Duisburg scored a goal and started celebrating on the other end of the pitch, Flekken (Duisburg's goalie) went in his net to drink some water, and was completely unaware that in the meantime the goal was disallowed, so Ingolstadt quickly restarted the play, launched a long ball upfront, and scored this while Flekken was still holding a water bottle in his hand xD 

but to be honest when Ramos held the trophy above his head, i felt ashamed that he is the captain of Madrid.    Along side Pepe the monster, they are the most dirty players in Madrid, the red cards of Ramos proves that.    What he did to Salah is very appalling and unsportsmanlike.   Poor Mohammad now has to race against time to be fit for the World Cup.     VAR should be imposed in every game and tackles like that should be up for review and deliberation after every game and sanctions and severe punishments must be given if found guilty that there is an intention to injure a player.

• Subscriber

I watched the game with a mixed crowd down at a beer tent including one of my house mates who supports Liverpool.

While I'm obviously very relieved that Liverpool didn't win, I also don't feel the need to take the piss, and if we're being honest whatever I say their players have given fans a lot more to be proud of this season than my club has as long as I can remember. It would be nice to be able to tell someone I'm an Everton fan and not have to prepare to be laughed at. So @LFCMadLad @LFCMike @Dr. Gonzo @Mantis Toboggan M.D. and the rest, bad luck lads.

I'll give my take on the game, not influenced by any punditry or even commentary as we couldn't hear it on the Tele and I've only really read this thread.

For me, Liverpool started the better side and everything changed when Salah came off. However it wasn't the loss of his talent that caused their issue, they stopped putting constant pressure on the ball and there was no reason they couldn't have kept doing what they'd started doing with Lallana on the pitch instead of Salah. From this point Real Madrid slowly established control over the game and ran out deserved winners at the end. 

As for the incident, Ramos can not have engineered a fall for Salah to dislocated his shoulder. I've not seen many replays but I'm sure Ramos made sure Salah went down, but this is no different to what defenders do all the time so I think people need to calm down about the theories of him deliberately injuring Salah. This doesn't mean that Ramos isn't still a huge cunt and what was actually worse was either shortly after this incident or the first goal, his pretending to have been elbowed in the face by I think it was Firmino.

The opening goal, Benzema was initially offside before Karius collected the ball and made his first fuck up. Liverpool were appealing after the ball went in, probably more out of embarrassment than a legitimate grievance, I don't know enough about first and second phases to know if they had a point.

The equaliser wasn't very commentworthy but it was an opportunity for Liverpool to take back the momentum. I thought at this point the lack of quality hindered them. With Salah off the pitch, Mane was the only one offering a real threat while Lallana (unsurprisingly) and Firmino (surprisingly) were absolute passengers.

Bale's first goal was beautiful. Most bicycle kicks the ball at least seems to hang in the air off a deflection or the player is badly marked and has time to set himself under no pressure. Bale had neither of those benefits and still found the top corner. No luck at all, just pure quality from a player who at his best is capable of moments like that that are on a par with anyone.

The third goal you can talk about bad pressing on Bale but you can't look past Karius. If a goalkeeper made two blunders like that in a season and I was wanting my team to join the elite and win trophies, I would be hoping he gets replaced. Two errors like that in a Champions League final is horrific. Like all managers, there is an upside and a downside to Klopps 'arm around the shoulder' man management. The upside is that you see players like Robertson and Alexander-Arnold looking totally at home in a Champions League final, the downside is him trying to keep faith with one of either Mignolet or Karius and believing that his trust will be rewarded instead of trying to sign a reliable number one.

The only other thing I want to mention is the pretty cringeworthy view that a lot of people have talked themselves into throughout this thread, that Real Madrid were lucky. They may have had some luck but they were better and deserved to win. Nobody would be saying anything remotely similar about Liverpool if Salah had scored the same two goals that Bale scored instead.

Anyway, the Champions League has actually been a decent watch this year for once. Long may it continue.

15 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

he looks like a husband trying to say sorry to his wife ............. he wants to hug all of the liverpool fans.     hope he keeps it together as a man and as a player ......

Let's not go overboard. He's obviously shattered and understandably so but there is no narrative that his error changed the result. 

It is a fuckup of major proportions in how it looks but a single miss in a penalty shootout is often more decisive than this was. 

In that respect he's in the company of many. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Let's not go overboard. He's obviously shattered and understandably so but there is no narrative that his error changed the result. 

It is a fuckup of major proportions in how it looks but a single miss in a penalty shootout is often more decisive than this was. 

In that respect he's in the company of many. 

i have to agree with you though.    in a penalty shootout there's no coming back.

• Subscriber

I maintained throughout Real Madrid would win. 25 minutes in it was quite hard to stick by it as quite frankly their absence of attacking threat was frightening, but I think Liverpool have this ability to scare the shit out of teams with the way they attack and they're great at pulling defences out of position.

This is where Real Madrid are different. Real came under pressure but they never truly fell into the traps. Liverpool didn't miss a load of chances for example.

When Salah went off the belief just seemed to vanish.

Real just have too many players capable of pulling that magic out of the bag. Ronaldo hasn't scored in the Champions League since that penalty against Juventus and they've still found ways.

It's gutting what happened to Salah and I do think that was a bit of a turning point, although really I still think even with him Real Madrid get the win.

Got to feel for Karius as well. He's never going to be able to fully overturn that.

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Thing is shit happens.. No matter how well prepared you think you are you can never be prepared for what happened with him last night... and when that happens to a team mate you need to be getting around him.. you all win together and you all lose together.. 

Not at Liverpool. You walk alone there.

:bartrapique:

The thing is that cockups are a very common part of penalty shootouts. You're basically banking on someone messing up or else they'd go on forever.

As bad as things like Terry or Schweinsteger's slips are, or Shevchenko's crap penalty in 2005, they don't imo compare to such a freak blunder in open play.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived