talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Is this the start of a trophy laden spell for Liverpool?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, True Blue said:

Liking this Liverpool team, but as suggested above they don't play the football needed to win the title. They should do fairly good in a one game competitions or two leg games. Winning the Champions League apart from the money should attract even bigger players for them to sign. The excitement is back at Anfield, bet all the good Liverpool cunts from TFF are buzzing for the final as they should.

I think we need more depth and the ability to better control the game before we can win the league.

But I also think this is potentially the strongest Liverpool side I've seen in my life, up there with when we had that side with the spine of Reina/Carra/Agger/Mascherano/Alonso/Gerrard/Torres. Which was probably our most "complete" side.

But you strengthen our midfield a bit and give us a bit more depth and keep this side together and I'll say without a doubt it's the best Liverpool side in my living memory. And maybe a side like that can sustain a title challenge and actually win the fucking thing.

This is the best spot we've been in since the last time we were an actual good side, around 10 years ago under Rafa. I think that the good year with Rodgers & Suarez was a one off... as demonstrated by the seasons immediately before and after it. Whereas for the first time in a long time it looks like we're taking steps forward each season.

I'm optimistic we'll have a good spell, but I think there's a lot more work to do. The competition will be tough, both Manchester clubs will spend heavily in the summer, Tottenham are also growing well, Chelsea will be a different side and they spend big and have a strong side, and Arsenal have the potential to be pretty decent if the new manager sorts out the defense. So fuck knows what will happen.

But the future definitely looks good now. And Firmino signing the long extension and getting rid of that release clause is big for us, because while Salah is our obviously most incredible player... Firmino is the lynchpin to our attack. But we do look much worse (see: yesterday, our match against Stoke, or when we subbed Salah off at Anfield v Roma) if we've only got one of Mane/Salah playing, so some depth on the wings would probably be good to keep our momentum up when they need a rest or are injured.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So Ranieri essentially left Mourinho the spine, bar Drogba, that went on to achieve the success that it did. 

Cech

Terry

Makelele

Lampard

Robben------------------Duff

But let's remember, it was Mourinho who left Conte a winning team :rofl:

6 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Firmino, Salah, Mane in the side, no after effects of the loss of Coutinho, Klopp as gaffer, a Champions League Final, Naby Keita coming in.

It got me thinking, is this the start of a trophy laden spell for Liverpool?

Potentially but to be frank, I wouldn't consider this question till they actually get over the line and win something.

Especially with Klopp's record. Lost 5 out of 6 finals, that isn't ideal.

:cardY:Lets not forget with VAR Liverpool would of been knocked out the CL against us     ...i hope the bin dipping cunts get battered  ..i'm not bitter, but we would of won it this year with already having beat Real Madrid 4-1

:219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake: xD

Come on you Reds! :drunk:  ...they could be a force if they can find consistency, best team we have played this season for sure (5-0 battering we gave them a side)

I don’t think a successful spell is dependent on Liverpool winning the Champions League. 

Keita is a good addition, though Liverpool are four-five players off being a force in the Premier League, IMO. Two keepers, a centre back and maybe a full back or two.

However, Cup Football might see Liverpool pick up some silverware. The FA Cup and League Cup are probably achievable targets. 

• Subscriber

Let's see them win one before talking about a run. 

I don't buy the not suited to the league argument as we've seen them go on almost 20 game unbeaten runs in the league under Klopp as well. 

I think they won't win the league but not because of their style of play. It'll be because they'll never have the money to make the 5 or 6 top signings needed to challenge on all fronts and against Man City without losing a key player or two in the process. Even if they win the Champions League, Salah for example will surely stay next season but if Madrid or someone are that arsed, the way things are at the moment, they'll come and get him. The pecking order seems to be more set in place now financially than it ever has been sadly.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Let's see them win one before talking about a run. 

I don't buy the not suited to the league argument as we've seen them go on almost 20 game unbeaten runs in the league under Klopp as well. 

I think they won't win the league but not because of their style of play. It'll be because they'll never have the money to make the 5 or 6 top signings needed to challenge on all fronts and against Man City without losing a key player or two in the process. Even if they win the Champions League, Salah for example will surely stay next season but if Madrid or someone are that arsed, the way things are at the moment, they'll come and get him. The pecking order seems to be more set in place now financially than it ever has been sadly.

I don't think we can challenge on all fronts because of that reason. But if we were knocked out of the CL early, and gave no fucks about the domestic cups we might be able to sustain a league title.

As much as I'd like to see a double (or better) I don't think it's realistic with the deep pockets of United, City and Chelsea.

12 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I don’t think a successful spell is dependent on Liverpool winning the Champions League. 

Keita is a good addition, though Liverpool are four-five players off being a force in the Premier League, IMO. Two keepers, a centre back and maybe a full back or two.

However, Cup Football might see Liverpool pick up some silverware. The FA Cup and League Cup are probably achievable targets. 

Agreed. As annoying as it may be i think consistent participation in the champions league is pretty key though. It opens the doors to the talent you can attract.

I think to genuinely challenge for the title we need to improve our first 11 in CM, CB and RB and add depth to the squad with second choice players on the wings, up front, CB and GK.

We could use a close range free kick taker within that bunch too.

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed. As annoying as it may be i think consistent participation in the champions league is pretty key though. It opens the doors to the talent you can attract.

I think to genuinely challenge for the title we need to improve our first 11 in CM, CB and RB and add depth to the squad with second choice players on the wings, up front, CB and GK.

We could use a close range free kick taker within that bunch too.

RB? We have Clyne and TAA. That’s pretty good. 

Keita coming in seriously strengthens us in CM although we could do with a deep lying midfielder (Neves). 

Agree we need a stronger CB to sit alongside VVD but I’d say the position we need to strengthen most is in the forward positions because whenever we rest/sub Firmino, Mane or Salah, the drop in quality is staggering. 

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

:rofl: Far from pretty good but whatever floats your boat

Good enough to get us to a champions league final when one has been injured all season and the other is 19 yrs old mi old cocka :D

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Agree we need a stronger CB to sit alongside VVD but I’d say the position we need to strengthen most is in the forward positions because whenever we rest/sub Firmino, Mane or Salah, the drop in quality is staggering. 

This is going to be such a talking point next season because in all honesty I can't see how the top half of the system operates without all three being fit and running. We can't rely on Ings and certainly not on Dom to fill those spots and while Adam is slowly coming back into the fold (and he has been brilliant at times) we can't rely on him either. Is Timo still on the cards to come over or has that petered? I think he could genuinely add depth to our front positions.

5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Good enough to get us to a champions league final when one has been injured all season and the other is 19 yrs old mi old cocka :D

Personally I think @Teso dos Bichos's anti-TAA agenda is weird. He started the season as a kid who was 3rd choice RB that got his chance because of injuries at RB.

Considering his form at the beginning of the season, he's improved massively over the course of the season.

Most people, including Rio Ferdinand, see a young player come into a side and start poor and then make giant strides in their development... and they'd generally agree that's a good thing having a young player grow so fast.

Especially considering some of the big performances he's had - definitely the best player over 2 legs against Manchester City, who are not a bad attacking team.

But the heavy criticism of a 19 year old who's come in and, sure been in consistent, but still made huge strides forward probably shouldn't be criticised so heavily.

If the expectation is the kid come into the side at 19 and be a right sided Maldini... I think that's fucking retarded.

I think this topic is premature as they actually have to win something first.

I think they have as good a chance as anyone to win cup competitions, I think the league will be harder but having someone like Keita come in will give them that depth they lack. For all the good this Champions League run has done them, they are still 21 points off of Man City  and I think Premier League winners will need to hit 90+ over the next couple of years with Mourinho and Guardiola about.

Where do they make 20 points up? I think they need a keeper on the same level as Ederson and De Gea to start with. Replacing Lovren would be helpful but City have shown you don't need to have a Vidic and Ferdinand quality CB partnership to destroy the league.

As said Keita is a good addition but you wouldn't see Milner or Henderson get into City's eleven and nor would you United and I don't think you'll see both out of the first team anytime soon so there's a problem in terms of the league.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

I think this topic is premature as they actually have to win something first.

I think they have as good a chance as anyone to win cup competitions, I think the league will be harder but having someone like Keita come in will give them that depth they lack. For all the good this Champions League run has done them, they are still 21 points off of Man City  and I think Premier League winners will need to hit 90+ over the next couple of years with Mourinho and Guardiola about.

Where do they make 20 points up? I think they need a keeper on the same level as Ederson and De Gea to start with. Replacing Lovren would be helpful but City have shown you don't need to have a Vidic and Ferdinand quality CB partnership to destroy the league.

As said Keita is a good addition but you wouldn't see Milner or Henderson get into City's eleven and nor would you United and I don't think you'll see both out of the first team anytime soon so there's a problem in terms of the league.

Nobody said it had to start with a trophy. This couod very well just be the forst glimose we have of a great team. 

Just now, Spike said:

Nobody said it had to start with a trophy. This couod very well just be the forst glimose we have of a great team. 

Everyone thought that with Rodgers mate and look how that turned out. Need to win something first otherwise this could just be a glimpse into being the bridesmaid but never the bridge 

Genuinely think we are maybe 4 players from being that truly great team. A top GK, CB, RB (I love TAA, but we ideally need a top player he can learn more from) & CM for our starting 11 and we would be incredible. Add to that list cover for the wings and Firmino and then we start to have that depth we are lacking.

It's going to be a very interesting summer window for us, getting into the final is enough to get the attention of the top players, and I'm sure a lot of them would love to play under Klopp.

Archived