talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sunday 26th March - World Cup Qualifiers (European)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Toony said:

I like that. Go for it.

I hate it, same old formation that has seen us fail time and time again. It's enough to get us through the qualifiers because quite frankly the opposition is pub standard but in tournament football it's pre-historic. 

In our last friendly against Germany we tried out three at the back with wing-backs high up the pitch. We played ok and looked relatively solid, so why not continue trying to perfect it? Why go back to a formation that constantly fails? 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

I hate it, same old formation that has seen us fail time and time again. It's enough to get us through the qualifiers because quite frankly the opposition is pub standard but in tournament football it's pre-historic. 

In our last friendly against Germany we tried out three at the back with wing-backs high up the pitch. We played ok and looked relatively solid, so why not continue trying to perfect it? Why go back to a formation that constantly fails? 

That's a fair point, but I think it's more about playing to the opposition. Against teams that we should be beating I don't see anything wrong with using this formation, it worked in the last qualifying campaign.

I think in the games against the better countries, such as Germany for example, he'll use the formation he used the other night. I don't know why we'd play with three centre backs against Lithuania, the full-backs are still bombing forward today.

So far I think Southgate's doing an excellent job.

4 minutes ago, Toony said:

That's a fair point, but I think it's more about playing to the opposition. Against teams that we should be beating I don't see anything wrong with using this formation, it worked in the last qualifying campaign.

I think in the games against the better countries, such as Germany for example, he'll use the formation he used the other night. I don't know why we'd play with three centre backs against Lithuania, the full-backs are still bombing forward today.

So far I think Southgate's doing an excellent job.

I get your point regarding using this formation against this opposition but let's be honest, we could use absolutely any formation and beat these minnows. 

I just think we should find a formation that suits our players (3 at the back with high wing backs perhaps?) and perfect it. Take Chelsea for example this season... Conte has come in and implemented his style and formation and he doesn't budge, regardless of the opposition. 

In my opinion we should play a formation, practise it and perfect it ready for the World Cup instead of trying something new for the odd game before reverting back to type. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

I get your point regarding using this formation against this opposition but let's be honest, we could use absolutely any formation and beat these minnows. 

I just think we should find a formation that suits our players (3 at the back with high wing backs perhaps?) and perfect it. Take Chelsea for example this season... Conte has come in and implemented his style and formation and he doesn't budge, regardless of the opposition. 

In my opinion we should play a formation, practise it and perfect it ready for the World Cup instead of trying something new for the odd game before reverting back to type. 

That's a fair point too, I just think the managers will see these games as the chance to rack up a few goals and would rather play an additional forward player than a third centre-back.

It's a difficult one.

1 minute ago, Toony said:

That's a fair point too, I just think the managers will see these games as the chance to rack up a few goals and would rather play an additional forward player than a third centre-back.

It's a difficult one.

Who'd be an England manager hey? xD

• Subscriber

Agree with Mad Lad again. Find that's becoming quite a habit these days! This is all just a bit drab really. It's just a poor situation. A weekend of games cancelled for this non-event.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived