talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Championship 2017 Team of The Season

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's certainly a strange time to be announcing this.

The most important part of the season is still to come and there's plenty of games left. The team is probably about right, not sure Malone has been that good but there's not many good left backs to chose from.

1 hour ago, roversgirl said:

Cairney should be in there ahead of Shelvey in my opinion - he has been more consistent and contributed more in terms of assists/goals. 

Can't really argue with any of the other inclusions.

Really? 

First half of the season Shelvey was by far and away the best player in the entire league and the primary reason we were top. He was absolutely taking the piss out of teams. We would be where Norwich or Villa are without him. 

Of course Cairney has scored more goals he has been playing as a number 10. Assist stats are nonsense as they just count whoever had the last pass. Jonjo Shelvey starts attacks. 

Shelvey has had fitness problems and had to do more defensive work with Hayden out in the last month or two. This two week break and Hayden coming back will hopefully get him going full speed again, if he does for the remaining games then I don't see how anyone else can even be considered for player of the year.

15 hours ago, Toony said:

It's certainly a strange time to be announcing this.

The most important part of the season is still to come and there's plenty of games left. The team is probably about right, not sure Malone has been that good but there's not many good left backs to chose from.

It is strange. I remember the season we went up and ran out of steam in early march. Most of the team was still made up of Palace players because the voting was done so early. It completely devalues the whole thing.

If you were to take the top eleven players from all the EFL how do you think they would do in the premiership? Complete hypothetical, give me your starting XI and then tell me how they'd do table wise?

Shelvey's place is one of the most deserved on there. Cairney has been quality for Fulham but Shelvey was different level. I can't really argue with any of the front 6 being included as all have been quality.

As good as people like Ritchie have been - those have just been better. Jannson has impressed me for Leeds, Dunk has also been a rock for Brighton. Shane Duffy looks class and Ciaran Clark has been a revelation for us, both could have easily been included. Not seen much of Malone and Smith either so can't comment.

Stockdale has been decent whenever I have seen him excluding the odd error.

Manager is a fair one too. 

• Administrator

Yeah Pontus Jansson has been quality for Leeds. Hopefully @Lucas can attest to that because he was raved about when Leeds began their rise in to the play-offs. 

Wonder if he'll get to the Premier League with Leeds or have to move away to play in it. 

• The title was changed to Championship 2017 Team of The Season
On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, Romesh said:

Yeah Pontus Jansson has been quality for Leeds. Hopefully @Lucas can attest to that because he was raved about when Leeds began their rise in to the play-offs. 

Wonder if he'll get to the Premier League with Leeds or have to move away to play in it. 

Jansson is the best defender in the league. No question. It is no coincidence we had an upturn in results when he came in. I *hope*, and I say hope because I don't believe there is loyalty in Football anymore these days, that he is here with us for the future whatever happens this season.

The one thing I'd also add though is how brilliant Kyle Bartley has actually been for us. Jansson get's a lot of plaudits but I really don't think he could have performed as well as he has without Bartley next to him. And in truth, Luke Ayling is very unlucky to miss out on a RB slot because he's been producing 8/10 performances in the majority of games.

I agree with pretty much most of it though. Perhaps the only other person in with a shout is Helder Costa at Wolves. Terrible season they have had but he's shown what a player he is. No way will they keep hold of him. No way.

Lewis Dunk is better than Pontus Jansson in my opinion, who couldn't even get into the side last weekend.

Thats just my opinion though, as Jansson being the best is yours. To claim their is 'no question' over it is ludicrous.

6 minutes ago, Toony said:

Lewis Dunk is better than Pontus Jansson in my opinion, who couldn't even get into the side last weekend.

Thats just my opinion though, as Jansson being the best is yours. To claim their is 'no question' over it is ludicrous.

I get the point you are making but for your info, Jansson was dropped for breaking rules behind the scenes to teach him a lesson that no matter how good he is and well thought of, Gary Monk is still the boss. Nothing to do form wise because he's been tip top.

Which goes to show for me how brilliant Gary Monk is in making that kind of decision. But as you say, all opinions...

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I get the point you are making but for your info, Jansson was dropped for breaking rules behind the scenes to teach him a lesson that no matter how good he is and well thought of, Gary Monk is still the boss. Nothing to do form wise because he's been tip top.

Which goes to show for me how brilliant Gary Monk is in making that kind of decision. But as you say, all opinions...

Fair enough then, I do like Garry Monk & think he's done an excellent job with you.

Hopefully you'll win the play-offs.

9 hours ago, Toony said:

Fair enough then, I do like Garry Monk & think he's done an excellent job with you.

Hopefully you'll win the play-offs.

Cheers. We shall see. Literally could be anyone's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived