talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will Manchester City retain the Premier League title?

football forum

Will Manchester City retain the Premier League title?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Will Manchester City retain the Premier League title?

football forum

Touted at the moment as the best team to ever play in the Premier League, will Manchester City be lifting the title this time next year?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very hypothetical given we don't know how the challengers squads will line up come August.

However, based on what we've seen this year, I think it's going to take them to drop the standards they have set this season in order not to win it for me. They have raised the bar to a ridiculous level and you can imagine they will only grow stronger. 100 goals and potentially 100 points is obscene.

The times they haven't won it has been because they have been poor. If City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U and Tottenham all perform to the best of their ability, City still come out on top for me.

The biggest thing for them will be that it's totally different defending a title than when you hungry for it chasing one. But they do have the right manager in Pep not to let standards drop.

• 6 months later...

Its definitely looking by far the most likely outcome. Still whilst City have been in blistering form, Liverpool are keeping a relative pace with them, and if their form improves or City’s dips they would be a chance of taking The ascendancy.

Surely at this point its City: 80%, Liverpool: 15%, Anyone else: 5%.

They are pretty likely going to win it again, but we are two points behind and we haven't hit the heights of last season at all. If we had I'd bet it would be us up the top right now. I think we will improve as well in the second half of the season, Firmino is bound to find form sooner or later and we may even see new players in the window (doubtful).

• Subscriber

Not just being bitter, Liverpool will fall away soon. It's been 3 months of them "Not hitting the heights yet". They were no better than Chelsea or United when we played them, think they'll be second and probably comfortably but there's no way they keep up with City just because City are good enough to go and whack teams 4-0 nearly every week. 3-1 against Bournemouth this weekend was considered a sign of relative weakness because they were level at half time ffs. 

The rest aren't worth mentioning. Even 5% chance that it'll be Chelsea or Arsenal or Spurs is overwhelmingly generous for me.

I voted yes because they are the best squad and play a brand of football few can cope with in the Premier League.

But if Liverpool go out of the Champions League, I wouldn’t bet against the Merseyside club causing an upset (and I only brand it an “upset” because of how ridiculously good City are due to Liverpool being great too) as they have the football and posses the knowledge and experience to grind it out if need be.

Some people may not like it at all and I get it, but the directive and the reason for Guardiola being the head coach of Manchester City is to win the Champions League... The league title is very much second best for the owners although if it doesn’t materialise in Europe’s biggest competition, then the Premier League title is a basic digest that needs to be delivered.

Nothing in this division has anything by comparison to City. It’s all about whether or not they really want to win it that much because if that’s the case then that poll should read 100% yes without exception if you just merely know your football. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, 6666 said:

The amount of money Man City will spend in the summer if they don't win the league this season will be insane. They'll probably spend £100m in January if they're not top by then.

Another two full backs might not be enough to overhaul the second best team in the entire Premier League era.

7 hours ago, 6666 said:

The amount of money Man City will spend in the summer if they don't win the league this season will be insane. They'll probably spend £100m in January if they're not top by then.

We don't need to spend, we have the 2nd youngest team in the league   ...just need to bring in Mbappe and a mid for the ageing Aguero & Fernandinho and we will be set for years

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

Thats actually a tougher game than it looks. Burnley are a very physical team and could potentially upset the apple-cart but this is City and even if they go a goal down they'll find a way to put three back.

Archived