talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2017/18 League Two Play-offs - Coventry Promoted

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/05/2018 at 12:13, Stan said:

you sometimes wonder where these fans are during the whole season...

Well fans can't always afford to go to every game

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well fans can't always afford to go to every game

the trend is quite clear though.

Fans not too bothered during the season. Last few games of the season they're in with a shout of play-offs, fans decide they're a bit interested now and fancy going (look at the increase from roughly 8,700 fans to average of 15,000 for the final 3 games).

Then all of a sudden, 40,000 of them fancy a day-trip down to Wembley. I'm not having a go at them for going to Wembley - they've been given an allocation, they've bought the tickets. But it does make me wonder why attendances weren't a bit higher throughout the season, and not just when they're doing well. 

• Administrator

I think that's game over now. 3-0. Another brilliant goal to follow the first. Left-footed curling shot from Grimmer. Straight in to the top corner.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

makes me question where they've been all season...?

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/coventry-city/attendances

Ricoh holds 32k. 

Only once did they get close to that for a game against Accrington in February.

Seems like the fans' interest piqued towards the end of the season when glory was on the cards!

Only 6 times out of 23 home games did they get more than 10k.

Haven't a fair amount of fans boycotted home games due to Sisu?

• The title was changed to 2017/18 League Two Play-offs - Coventry Promoted

Have to feel for Exeter. How many times are they going to knock on the door of promotion?!

With Wycombe, Coventry and Luton all going up this league does look weak on paper in contrast to twelve months ago. Albeit very even. MK Dons must be fancying themselves to strengthen and bounce straight back up. Other than that the other places could be a lottery. 

1 hour ago, BounceAroundTheGround said:

Haven't a fair amount of fans boycotted home games due to Sisu?

That's exactly it. It may have an element of 'cut your nose off to spite your face' to it, but that club has been run into the ground by the owners. Not a penny more, was the mantra I believe.

They've had decent away followings as far as I'm aware. Absolutely massive club for League Two who should be nowhere near it. That they can so easily fill a Wembley allocation must show the clueless hedge fund managers the poisonous atmosphere they've created at that club - it must take a lot to keep away 25,000 people every week. Although, annoyingly, this promotion (well done Coventry by the way!) will perhaps justify them keeping hold of the club for the foreseeable.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Paul Tisdale wouldn't confirm whether he will stay on as Exeter manager next season. :43_slight_frown:

i heard talk about this at the start of the game but the commentators never said anything more. All they said was that the 'supporters trust weren't happy with him and the chairman had no choice but to give Tisdale his notice :/ '

1 hour ago, Stan said:

i heard talk about this at the start of the game but the commentators never said anything more. All they said was that the 'supporters trust weren't happy with him and the chairman had no choice but to give Tisdale his notice :/ '

Got no idea what's gone on behind the scenes there. It's a shame after 12 years it will end like this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MK Dons win this league at a canter if he joins them. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Got no idea what's gone on behind the scenes there. It's a shame after 12 years it will end like this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MK Dons win this league at a canter if he joins them. 

I fancy Notts County to still be up there should Nolan stay. 

5 hours ago, Stan said:

the trend is quite clear though.

Fans not too bothered during the season. Last few games of the season they're in with a shout of play-offs, fans decide they're a bit interested now and fancy going (look at the increase from roughly 8,700 fans to average of 15,000 for the final 3 games).

Then all of a sudden, 40,000 of them fancy a day-trip down to Wembley. I'm not having a go at them for going to Wembley - they've been given an allocation, they've bought the tickets. But it does make me wonder why attendances weren't a bit higher throughout the season, and not just when they're doing well. 

There are definitely fans out there like that. But also it can be finances. I haven't been to arsenal for a couple of years because money is tight. But I use to go at least once a season sometimes near the end because time was running out and I wanted to go to a game. 

Berate fans for taking a stand and then probably berate them if they didn't. They've been treated like shit the last few years and have every right to stay away and every right to turn up for a big day out.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived