talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Burton & Barnsley Return To League One

football forum

• Administrator

Both have had a 2-year stay in the Championship ended on the final day of the season.

Both needed to win and hope other results went their way but Bolton winning 3-2 at home to Forest sealed their fate. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it were in any other situation, I'd have wanted Burton to stay up. I love that they're batting well above their average in the Championship - a club their size has done phenomenally to stay up for a couple of years. I just hope they don't sink like Yeovil have since dropping a few years back.

Barnsley is really strange though - they've received a lot of money through the sales of the likes of Sam Winnall, Conor Hourihane and the John Stones sell on fee... but just haven't invested that back into the squad. Seems Billy Beane's moneyball theory doesn't -quite- apply to football.

In any case, it isn't us. Absolutely vital for the club to have stayed up - there are big rumours afoot that Anderson is lining up investors (he never wanted to own the club in the first place really). Championship football, good infrastructure, good youth set up, books finally not looking toxic, a decent(ish) fanbase and proximity to Manchester - in theory, we're an attractive proposition for buyers. Hopefully, by staying up, we can attract the right ones to take the club forward.

Archived