talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australia World Cup Squad

Screenshot_20180604-161651_Drive.thumb.jpg.dc72753ddb82697e3e172d2002342eb2.jpg

Preliminary list: Brad Jones, Mitch Langerak, Mat Ryan, Danny Vukovic, Aziz Behich, Milos Degenek, Alex Gersbach, Matthew Jurman , Fran Karacic, James Meredith, Josh Risdon, Trent Sainsbury, Aleksandar Susnjar, Bailey Wright, Josh Brillante, Jackson Irvine, Mile Jedinak, Robbie Kruse, Massimo Luongo, Mark Milligan, Aaron Mooy, Tom Rogic, James Troisi, Daniel Arzani, Tim Cahill, Apostolos Giannou, Tomi Juric, Mathew Leckie, Jamie Maclaren, Andrew Nabbout, Dimitri Petratos, Nikita Rukavytsya

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Good luck to Arzani if he does end up getting selected. Proper livewire of a player and one of those youngsters that just has tons of enthusiasm and skill. That's all well and good when it he takes advantage of it but can be his downfall when he tries to take on one too many players and loses possession. 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is Arzani Persian?

I should probably just check Wiki.

He's part Iranian, which if I am right is Persian.

Nearly got selected for Iran but in the end its clear he wants Australia.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

He's part Iranian, which if I am right is Persian.

Nearly got selected for Iran but in the end its clear he wants Australia.

Yeah, there's a lot of ethnicities in Iran... but most Iranians are Persian. That's a Persian surname. And it looks like he is as well, born there too.

I don't blame him for picking Australia either tbh. If I played football professionally and was good enough to get called up by either Iran or England, I'd prefer to not be representing the side that has a theocratic dictatorship. I've also only got a British passport... so that would also probably make my decision for me though lol.

He's also grown up in Australia. So chances are he'd feel more comfortable representing them.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, there's a lot of ethnicities in Iran... but most Iranians are Persian. That's a Persian surname. And it looks like he is as well, born there too.

I don't blame him for picking Australia either tbh. If I played football professionally and was good enough to get called up by either Iran or England, I'd prefer to not be representing the side that has a theocratic dictatorship. I've also only got a British passport... so that would also probably make my decision for me though lol.

He's also grown up in Australia. So chances are he'd feel more comfortable representing them.

He's neither Iranian or Australian, he's from Asia :ph34r:

• The topic was pinned

Shame to see Gersbach miss out - but I suppose it serves us well given he has impressed for Australia the times I've seen him.

6 hours ago, Blue said:

Shame to see Gersbach miss out - but I suppose it serves us well given he has impressed for Australia the times I've seen him.

I thought four of the six players were a surprise. Then again, they didn't exactly set the world alight in the qualifiers so maybe a change is what they need.

58 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I'd have had Maclaren over Juric.

Next three cut will be interesting. Could be Brillante, Risdon and Petratos.

So you think Arzani will make it? If so it must be a first, as you don't usually go for the younger players. Arzani could be different though, he's quality.

I think Petratos and Brillante are definitely out. Risdon is a coin toss.

9 hours ago, Blue said:

So you think Arzani will make it? If so it must be a first, as you don't usually go for the younger players. Arzani could be different though, he's quality.

I think Petratos and Brillante are definitely out. Risdon is a coin toss.

Ruka could be on the outer too. Hard to say. Very uninspiring squad to be honest.

We sometimes take a young bloke, could be Arzani this time. Taggart, Halloran and Holland were pretty young but Arzani may be the youngest! 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Tim Cahil played just an hour or so for Millwall. He got a handful of yellows, a three match ban (typical) and no goals. Why do they fucking persist?

publicity. 

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Did Cahil say he just wants to score a consolation goal then get sent off?

Link? I need to see this.

I love Cahill but that is a shocking indirect comment if true 😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

whenever I've seen Rogic play for Celtic he's always stood out and been one of the best players on the pitch. Hope he can do it on the world stage now as I think he's a good player. Someone who  could probably make it in the Premier League with a mid-table club.

Ufff, I feel sorry for Mitch Langerak. He was supposed to be Dortmund's first choice keeper, then they dropped him off at Stuttgart, and they dropped him for Zieler after Langerak secured promotion with them. 

Archived