talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Salford City Managers Leave Club

Joint-managers Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley have left Salford City weeks after guiding the club into the Vanarama National League for the first time.

Johnson and Morley have overseen three promotions during their time in charge, which has gone hand-in-hand with Manchester United greats Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt and Gary and Phil Neville, becoming involved with the club.

The Ammies reached National League North at the end of the 2015-16 season and, after a playoff disappointment last season, won the title in 2017-18 with a game to spare.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Any indication as to why they left? Thought they were doing a brilliant job there. (There's a good documentary about it on netflix going over their first couple of seasons)

"irreconcilable differences around personal terms" 

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The way that they've been treated is disgraceful really. They've overseen three promotions yet were offered full times roles on less money than the rest of the league (and what they were on as part time managers).

As much as I like the Salford project it's awful how these two have been treated and it's not surprise that they've walked.

Can't wait to watch that part in the documentary. The bit where it showed Neville's failure at Valencia was brilliant. Just screamed irony as they just sacked a manager before they appointed those two. 

Any indication if the players are currently on contracts yet? Granted, taking a football club from the bottom to the top flights of english football, they are going to need serious investment. 

The documentary suggested that they are obviously joint managers, but want to be paid as if they are solo managers. I can see both sides of the argument. for example the best paid manager in the conference might be on 3k/week, the Salford joint managers both wanted 2.5k/week each- 5k/week in total. Salford could employ the highest aid manager in the league and 'save' money. Making up the numbers but you get the point.

They did well but they were working with a big budget, Salford were also full time- I doubt many other teams in the league are full time and they were massive favourites to win the league. They still did a very good job though, but were operating in an uneven playing field, i think.

16 minutes ago, Marc said:

The documentary suggested that they are obviously joint managers, but want to be paid as if they are solo managers. I can see both sides of the argument. for example the best paid manager in the conference might be on 3k/week, the Salford joint managers both wanted 2.5k/week each- 5k/week in total. Salford could employ the highest aid manager in the league and 'save' money. Making up the numbers but you get the point.

They did well but they were working with a big budget, Salford were also full time- I doubt many other teams in the league are full time and they were massive favourites to win the league. They still did a very good job though, but were operating in an uneven playing field, i think.

Nail. Head. Salford are funded in part by billionaire Peter Lim and Uniteds multi millionaire ex players. It’s not a level playing field whatsoever. 

Yeah, they’ve bought their success, thus far. I’m no fan of small clubs that do this.

I’ve no beef with these two blokes, I have no idea who they are and I’ve never watched/heard anything of them but breaking away from Salford and their links with money might be the best for their careers. If they go elsewhere and do a job, it’s because they’re good managers, not because they’ve got a 50k-a-week budget in a part-time League. 

17 hours ago, Marc said:

2.5 k  a week is a lot of money. I can see why nevelle and the bourd felt they had to go. In my opinion they should have taken the money. They may end up back in non league football now.

Archived