talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsène Wenger's Greatest Moments

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The doubles!

But fundamentally the complete and total change of brand of football Arsenal had under Wenger. It's the first time I've ever witnessed a club that had a completely different philosophy ingrained in its nature into the total opposite. That for me is his greatest feat for me.

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

The doubles!

But fundamentally the complete and total change of brand of football Arsenal had under Wenger. It's the first time I've ever witnessed a club that had a completely different philosophy ingrained in its nature into the total opposite. That for me is his greatest feat for me.

Did you go to the Burnley game out of interest mate?

41 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'd 8-2 be an Arsenal fan.

A lot of Arsene defenders go on about how the press have had a lot to do with Arsene’s hounding by the fans. But the truth is that he out of most of the managers has had it easy for most of his time at the club. At no other club with Arsenal’s resources would a manager last that long under the same scenario he has been in.

That 8-2 he got off lightly with and it’s hardly ever mentioned. Look at Mourinho... The 5-0 defeat to Barça is a staple diet of anything critical in Spain with him. 

37 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

A lot of Arsene defenders go on about how the press have had a lot to do with Arsene’s hounding by the fans. But the truth is that he out of most of the managers has had it easy for most of his time at the club. At no other club with Arsenal’s resources would a manager last that long under the same scenario he has been in.

That 8-2 he got off lightly with and it’s hardly ever mentioned. Look at Mourinho... The 5-0 defeat to Barça is a staple diet of anything critical in Spain with him. 

I  know this has been discusses before and maybe it needs its own thread. But did he have a lot of resources? It seems as if the bourd won't invest.  You said it was more complacated than that in another thread?

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I  know this has been discusses before and maybe it needs its own thread. But did he have a lot of resources? It seems as if the bourd won't invest.  You said it was more complacated than that in another thread?

Indeed... The board (shareholders) run the club like a business more than any other club is ran in the world of football. But he’s been a “YES MAN” all the way in all of that and unlike other managers that are vocal about those sorts of things. He has NEVER spoken out against the board while he HAS criticised the fans. So for those that have digested the whole scenario taking everything into account, he (Wenger) isn’t exempt from criticism in all of this. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

Indeed... The board (shareholders) run the club like a business more than any other club is ran in the world of football. But he’s been a “YES MAN” all the way in all of that and unlike other managers that are vocal about those sorts of things. He has NEVER spoken out against the board while he HAS criticised the fans. So for those that have digested the whole scenario taking everything into account, he (Wenger) isn’t exempt from criticism in all of this. 

Ah right. At the same time it could be argued that whoever was there would have a lower budget than some clubs. I guess we'll see what happens next. 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ah right. At the same time it could be argued that whoever was there would have a lower budget than some clubs. I guess we'll see what happens next. 

Of course they would which is why we’ve kept him as any other high profile manager/coach wouldn’t have that weight on their cv. 

5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Out of interest... Which Premier League clubs would you say are in our spending capacity?

I ask this so as to open up the debate properly so the truth is simpler to understand. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Out of interest... Which Premier League clubs would you say are in our spending capacity?

I ask this so as to open up the debate priperly so the truth is simpler to understand. 

I don't know.  I think we have spent quite a lot over the last 5 years haven't we? I would imagine Liverpool and spurs have similar resources. I wouldn't imagine we could match city and utd spending.  I think it would be hard to match Chelsea's as they have a lot of investment. 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't know.  I think we have spent quite a lot over the last 5 years haven't we? I would imagine Liverpool and spurs have similar resources. I wouldn't imagine we could match city and utd spending.  I think it would be hard to match Chelsea's as they have a lot of investment. 

We have the finances to buy whatever we want but our club is run as a shareholder business. So we spend with that in mind... So we are in competition with Liverpool and Spurs.

You do agree that we are the 6th richest club in the world though?

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

We have the finances to buy whatever we want but our club is run as a shareholder business. So we spend with that in mind... So we are in competition with Liverpool and Spurs.

I don't know I haven't seen the rich list. So your saying we can match city and utd's spending?

Wenger was brillant until became a yes man. He played some of the best football the Prem has ever seen plus the undefeated record is one of the greatest achievements, He will always be remembered for that. 

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I did just look at the rich list. Personally I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject. One thing I did think is that the list will probably take into account all assets. So the stadium would be worth more than some clubs stadiums. I  think it can be s bit more complicated than that

9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't know I haven't seen the rich list. So your saying we can match city and utd's spending?

They can with the money Arsenal generate, also the people on the board are some of the richest people in the world.   The problem is Kroneke doesnt want to spend his own money, even when the Emirates was bulit the finance from the Highbury development went into one of the other companies and not back into the football club, which could of paid off the new stadium. There has just been alot bullshit from the board and Wenger has covered it all up for them as he has been rewarded well for it. 

4 minutes ago, Panna King said:

They can with the money Arsenal generate, also the people on the board are some of the richest people in the world.   The problem is Kroneke doesnt want to spend his own money, even when the Emirates was bulit the finance from the Highbury development went into one of the other companies and not back into the football club, which could of paid off the new stadium. There has just been alot bullshit from the board and Wenger has covered it all up for them as he has been rewarded well for it. 

If I have time I'll do some of my own research into the subject. You and @SirBalon are clearly very knowledgeable but its always good to look things up your self. Out of interest @SirBalon you saidsaid in another thread that Wenger hadhad money to spend she. The Emirates had just been built but it was more complicated than that and not all his fault. What were you referring to?

Archived