talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsène Wenger's Greatest Moments

21 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

If I have time I'll do some of my own research into the subject. You and @SirBalon are clearly very knowledgeable but its always good to look things up your self. Out of interest @SirBalon you saidsaid in another thread that Wenger hadhad money to spend she. The Emirates had just been built but it was more complicated than that and not all his fault. What were you referring to?

Ther was a great debate on The Times podcast some weeks ago on all of this with serious people in the know from sports journalists to the FT chief editor that was invited too. Do you know how a shareholder major business is run mate?  Don't take that the wrong way and I'm not wanting to be arrogant. But it's the basics which run into mere reason that starts us off on any debate. From there onwards we can do research but if you DO go off into your personal analysis of Arsenal Holdings PLC, I hope you extend your research far and above the sports pages and any quotes you may encounter along the way.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Ther was a great debate on The Times podcast some weeks ago on all of this with serious people in the know from sports journalists to the FT chief editor that was invited too. Do you know how a shareholder major business is run mate?  Don't take that the wrong way and I'm not wanting to be arrogant. But it's the basics which run into mere reason that starts us off on any debate. From there onwards we can do research but if you DO go off into your personal analysis of Arsenal Holdings PLC, I hope you extend your research far and above the sports pages and any quotes you may encounter along the way.

Football clubs need to really be run by the fans, like in other countries.

1 hour ago, Panna King said:

Football clubs need to really be run by the fans, like in other countries.

There are very few of those clubs remaining in Europe like that mate. Those few clubs HAVE to listen and cater to the fans because they have little scope for anything else other than to invest every penny the club makes in the attempt to compete.

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I know what a shareholder club is. I'm guessing clubs like that are less likely to spend big because of peoples money being invested. If.the shares drop people loose money. But I still don't get what you were referring to when you said Wenger had money but it was more complicated than that?

I just looked at the net spend of Arsenal over the last 5 years. Ours is roughly 188 million. Chelsea's is 222 million but they have won 2 league titles. Liverpool is way lower and spurs is only 2 million.  Doesn't read well for Wenger to be honest

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

A lot of Arsene defenders go on about how the press have had a lot to do with Arsene’s hounding by the fans. But the truth is that he out of most of the managers has had it easy for most of his time at the club. At no other club with Arsenal’s resources would a manager last that long under the same scenario he has been in.

That 8-2 he got off lightly with and it’s hardly ever mentioned. Look at Mourinho... The 5-0 defeat to Barça is a staple diet of anything critical in Spain with him. 

I will literally never forget that match. Not only was it one of the last in the Fergie v Arsène series (don't forget your diacriticals u fekkin berkshire) but it was alwo like the third game of the season.

7 hours ago, Spike said:

I will literally never forget that match. Not only was it one of the last in the Fergie v Arsène series (don't forget your diacriticals u fekkin berkshire) but it was alwo like the third game of the season.

I never remember with him! xD

What I meant is that although some complain that the press have been very critical with Wenger, in actual fact Mourinho has had it worse.  It's true that Mourinho brings a lot of it on himself with his attitude and some of his actions, but when Mou once said that Arsène gets treated differently (which is where the failure quote came from) to other coaches/managers... He was right!  Arsène Wenger has got off lightly with failing for many years and it's been conveniently backed with financial numbers that aren't real.

Archived