talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wayne Rooney Signs for DC United in Deal Worth £12m

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/11/2018 at 16:39, Inverted said:

Atlanta tearing up the league by signing talented youngsters and some MLS clubs think signing chubby, balding Europeans is the way forward.

That was funny I will give you that... 

Sam Allardyce has rubbished claims of a falling out with Wayne Rooney but the Everton manager admits the future of the former England captain is 'out of his hands.'

According to Sky Sources, a deal had been struck between Rooney's representatives and DC United, while the manager of the MLS side Ben Olson insisted the move is not yet done.

Allardyce watched his side beaten 3-1 at West Ham on the final day of the Premier League season, with Manuel Lanzini scoring twice at the London Stadium.

Everton manager Sam Allardyce believes Wayne Rooney's future will be decided by Wednesday.

Rooney is believed to have already said his goodbyes at Everton's Finch Farm training ground last Friday ahead of a proposed £12m move to DC United.

The MLS club's manager Ben Olson has since stated that the move is not yet done, and Allardyce has reiterated his position in relation to the potential transfer away from Goodison Park.

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44221611

Everton forward Wayne Rooney is to travel to Washington this week to meet Major League Soccer side DC United.

The 32-year-old has already agreed a deal in principle with the club, although he still has a year left on his contract at Goodison Park.

The trip to the capital of the United States is understood to be a fact-finding mission.

Rooney re-joined Everton in July 2017 having spent 13 seasons at Manchester United.

He is the Red Devils' record goalscorer and won five Premier League titles and the Champions League.

It is understood Rooney has been offered a contract until the end of the 2020 MLS season. The US transfer window does not open until July.

Rooney, who is halfway through a two-year deal at Goodison Park, made 40 appearances for the club last season and was Everton's top scorer with 11 goals.

The devil is in the detail with this proposed move. It is anticipated former England captain Rooney will be in Washington on Thursday and his trip will last no more than 48 hours. None of the first-team coaching or playing personnel will be around as they have an away game at LAFC on Saturday.

This is a fact-finding trip, a chance to understand the club and get to know some of the executive personnel.

A final decision, it is being stressed by Rooney's spokesperson, rests with Everton. And there is the crux. Rooney still has a year left on his contract at Goodison Park. That is probably around £7.5m in wages and bonuses. Before he commits to what is likely to be the last significant move of his career, Rooney's advisors will want to make sure an acceptable financial exit is thrashed out.

For their part, Everton will be looking to limit further expenditure on a player who returned amid much fanfare 12 months ago but faded after a bright start.

The bottom line is it is now more likely than it has ever has been that Rooney will be starting a new phase of his career in Major League Soccer when new signings are allowed to play in July.

• 2 weeks later...

You just know Wayne Rooney has been telling Coleen "Everton don't want me" as a way to convince her and the kids to move to Washington.

Marco Silva has effectively thrown him under a bus with his family by telling him the doors still open if he wants to stay xD

I hope he stays for another season to be honest. He's got more to give, it hasn't been a bad season for him, and he can somewhere with a little more luxury than Washington 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I get a notification literally every day from a different news source claiming "Rooney to complete MLS move in the next 48 hours".

I think the initial delay was to sound out the new manager and see what the prospects of regular football were but no idea what's going on with the 2-3 extra weeks since.

Its been confirmed.

Firstly, it's great to see this thread finally moved. I'm very surprised of all the places in America he's settled for Washington, were there any other teams in a position to sign him with the wage cap @Eco?

I wonder how he will be remembered. It may because we're in Harry Kane fever but right now I remember him more for a rather pointless record of England goals and the face of a failed generation. Hopefully over time that will change to remember him for his fantastic partnership with Ronaldo, intelligently transforming his role to adapt to the changes in football, and being United's all time top scorer.

10 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Its been confirmed.

Firstly, it's great to see this thread finally moved. I'm very surprised of all the places in America he's settled for Washington, were there any other teams in a position to sign him with the wage cap @Eco?

I wonder how he will be remembered. It may because we're in Harry Kane fever but right now I remember him more for a rather pointless record of England goals and the face of a failed generation. Hopefully over time that will change to remember him for his fantastic partnership with Ronaldo, intelligently transforming his role to adapt to the changes in football, and being United's all time top scorer.

I have never really understood the MLS salary cap, so I sadly can't offer anything to this. 

I can't understand the move either, and the only reason it makes sense for DC is that they get to sell a couple more jerseys. The name Rooney isn't as popular as it once was because he seems to have floated off into mediocrity. 

• The title was changed to Wayne Rooney Signs for DC United in Deal Worth £12m
  • Subscriber

Good luck Wayne. There have been enough eulogies about his time in English football when he left United and when he retired from England duty so can't be arsed now. For us hopefully we move into the circle of modern football teams with mobility throughout the starting eleven. Sadly no place for Rooney in what I hope is a brave new world for us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Rooney explains his decision to move to America...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44865704

Wayne Rooney left Everton for DC United because he did not want to "hang around and be a dead weight".

The former England captain, 32, said he would not have moved to the United States if his wife and children were not going to join him.

Rooney, who signed a three-and-a-half-year contract, said he remained hungry for success and wanted to win trophies.

He left Everton in June after scoring 208 goals in 491 Premier League appearances over 16 years.

In a wide-ranging interview, Rooney spoke to BBC Sport about his decision to leave England, whether Manchester United can challenge Manchester City, England's World Cup campaign and his coaching ambitions.

Rooney rejoined Everton from United for an undisclosed fee in July 2017, 13 years after leaving the Merseyside club.

He finished the season with 10 goals in 31 league appearances, but did not score in the final 15 of those games after being moved into midfield under Sam Allardyce.

The Toffees missed out on qualifying for Europe, ending the campaign in eighth spot. Allardyce was sacked at the end of the season and replaced by Marco Silva.

There was no transfer fee involved when he joined DC United but it is understood the Major League Soccer club agreed a compensation package with the Toffees.

"Everton made it clear if there was an offer there, they would be happy for me to go," said Rooney, who made his DC United debuton Saturday.

"I understand they have brought a new manager in, got new staff, they obviously want to bring in players that manager wants.

"I am sure it will release money for the new players who come in. I am sure that was in their thinking.

"I said to them if that is what you want, I am not going to hang round and be a dead weight. I will go somewhere else and play."

Rooney is set to be joined in Washington by his wife, Coleen, and four children.

"I would not have come out if my family did not want to come out. They are my priority. It was important they came over with me," he added.

"I also felt the city was more suited to me and my family than Los Angeles or New York.

"I spoke to the owners, I was excited by the team. They told me about the new stadium and the new training ground they are opening next April. It felt like the club was moving in the right direction."

Rooney will be 36 when his contract expires and he is already thinking ahead to life after playing.

He is keen to stay in the game and hopes he will have all his coaching badges by the time he retires.

"You do try and plan things but my main focus has to be on what the team does here," said Rooney.

"In the back of my mind, I am hoping that by the end of that three and a half years, I will have all my coaching badges done.

"Then I have the opportunity to do what comes up, whether that is coaching, management or TV.

"I have said before, it would be a shame to walk away from football after being involved in it for so long.

"It is something I have an interest in and am passionate about. If the right option comes up then of course it is something I would look at."

Rooney won 119 caps for England and scored 53 goals, while he represented his country at three World Cups in 2006, 2010 and 2014.

He described England's efforts in getting to the semi-finals in Russia this summer as "fantastic" but wants the younger players in the squad to get more game-time at their clubs.

John Stones, 24, made just 16 Premier League starts for Manchester City in 2017-18 while midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek, 22, did not play a single game for Chelsea and spent the season on loan at Crystal Palace.

"It was great to watch although I was disappointed we didn't get to the final," added Rooney.

"They had a great tournament. They are a young team. Hopefully the club managers continue to play some of them and they get more game-time."

• Subscriber

Nothing wrong with anything he's said if that's the question he asked. It's the media that are trying to bang the drum and see if they can create a story about Rooney being bitter about being forced out by the club's new management. Then if Silva fails they can bring it up again later in the season and try to pretend it represented some sort of rocky or controversial start to his Everton tenure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"[Leaving] was the owner's decision. He knew he was going to bring a lot of players in and wanted to free money up. That's his decision but I'm disappointed how it happened," Rooney told The Sunday Times.

"I started to think: 'Is there something being said?' So I went to see Sam [Allardyce]. I said 'listen, I'm not a kid, what's going on - do you want me or not?'

"Sam was the honest one. He said, 'If I'm still here next season you might not play as much but I still want you'. But then he said: 'I'm not sure the owner has the same opinion'. And trying to get an honest answer out of the owner took three months.

"I kept trying and trying. All I wanted was clarity. Even [current Everton boss] Marco Silva was surprised because before he came in he was told I was leaving - but that was before I was told I could leave."

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

Looks like The Roo has been a bad boy again, nothing unusual, he will end up like Gazza if he is not careful. :coffee:

Coleen Rooney ready to ‘hit the roof’ as Wayne Rooney accepts a lift from barmaid after 10-hour bender Rebecca Levi Sunday 10 Feb 2019 10:17 am

Coleen Rooney is thought to have been left ‘worried’ over Wayne Rooney’s 10-hour bender in Florida with his DC United teammates in which he spent time with a blonde barmaid he had met days earlier. ‘Coleen has already warned him about his behaviour and will hit the roof over this,’ a source close to Coleen has claimed. ‘He is playing with fire getting into a woman’s car along with his history.’ Pictures show Wayne on 3 February drinking at the Pier House 60 marina hotel in Clearwater Beach, Florida as he joined pals in watching the 2019 Super Bowl.

They then enjoyed a bar crawl and ended up at The Brown Boxer where he bumped into Vicki whom he had met several days earlier at Toucan’s Bar and Grill, where she works. It will be another huge blow to Coleen, however, who just weeks ago was left ‘mortified’ over ‘idiot’ husband Wayne’s airport arrest, and allegedly warned him against ever drinking again. The former Manchester United player, who now plays for American team DC United, was charged on 16 December after being arrested by the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority. In late 2017 Wayne was also arrested for drink driving at 2 am after being pulled over at the wheel of Laura Simpson’s VW Beetle.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/10/coleen-rooney-ready-hit-roof-wayne-rooney-accepts-lift-barmaid-10-hour-bender-8502601/

Archived