talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Hugo Lloris : Top Four More Than a Trophy

Tottenham captain Hugo Lloris believes the club’s qualification for next season’s Champions League "means more than a trophy".

Spurs secured a top-four finish on Wednesday night after their 1-0 win over Newcastle and Chelsea's draw at home to Huddersfield.

It means Mauricio Pochettino's side will compete in the Champions League for a third consecutive campaign and challenge Europe's elite at their new stadium next season.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's the problem!

How OUT OF TOUCH they are with football fans.  The problem is that this particular issue of the top four slot being some sort of trophy has actually almost become totally ingrained within the psyche of footballdom throughout.  Clubs can go years just achieving this with almost all parties being satisfied.

• Administrator

interesting take on how well a club should be doing.

To win silverware surely is the ultimate goal, no? 

Or perhaps he meant in the perspective of having nothing left to play for but to secure top 4 right now? 

Maybe just an odd choice of words. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

interesting take on how well a club should be doing.

To win silverware surely is the ultimate goal, no? 

Or perhaps he meant in the perspective of having nothing left to play for but to secure top 4 right now? 

Maybe just an odd choice of words. 

Could be because I doubt he only came out with that one and only sentence to be fair, which means the whole context could be missing.  But right now that's what we have without having to do a search for the whole transcript.

But on its own, we can safely say it's definitely been heard before over the past 10 years to be honest.

• Administrator
Just now, SirBalon said:

Could be because I doubt he only came out with that one and only sentence to be fair, which means the whole context could be missing.  But right now that's what we have without having to do a search for the whole transcript.

But on its own, we can safely say it's definitely been heard before over the past 10 years to be honest.

a.k.a clickbait.

9 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

@SirBalon

Not that i agree with that but outside of EPL, for a lot of Asian fans and teams just qualifying for World Cup means more then winning the Asian Cup. 

That’s completely different though mate. With that you’re talking about qualifying for the ultimate football tournament. 

20 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Isn't CL the ultimate club football tournament ? 

It is, but it’s very different due to having domestic football in there too (trophies) which is all played every season and add to that the aspect of international football being  completely different sensation to club football. 

I'm shocked by you guys. Of course its worth more than a trophy. 

He's ultimately aiming to win the league or champions league. And speaking about the league cup or maybe FA cup here.

Finishing top 4 and playing champions league football next year and therefore starting to look like more and more of a sure thing to do that every year is what will keep the wind in their sails, keep them in the pool of attracting the best talent and keep them on course for their multi year journey towards winning one of the big ones.

If they keep on that course they'll be in the position of wining trophies every year. 

Bottom line if you're seeking long term sustainable success top 4 is more important to the project, and i respect Huge for being honest enough to admit it. 

It's more than a trophy in a business sense. But not in a football sense, which should be the heart and soul of the sport.

But it's not as though we haven't known that the massive influx of money over the last few decades hasn't eroded the soul of football. The evidence is right there in front of us. But yeah, it's disheartening to see a football player at a club making forward progress towards the long term goal of winning silverware say something like this.

It sadly has become financially more important to clubs than winning trophies. Of course I still believe the honours list is what ultimately matters but in terms of health of the club then top 4 definitely more important Spurs, particuarly with the costs of the stadium. No reason they couldn't do both though.

Even the people that say The FA Cup is more important than top 4 sing a different tune depending on if it aids their agenda or not. Or in other words, Piers Morgan is a fucking moronic cunt like those twats on Arsenal Fan TV.

Personally, top four means more to me than the league cup and I can see the argument over The FA cup too. The role four is so important in a business sense, if you want to give yourself the chance to compete for the top top honours, you have to get in the top four consistently. 

That being said, there's no reason why a club like Spurs can't get 4th and win even the league cup. 

Archived