The better place to talk football.

Arsène Wenger's Worst Signing?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Says signing not signings. 

says they all come to mind, not definitively who I think it is. Just suggestions you pedant. 

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

If you could confirm your choice in a future post, we can keep this thread nice and tidy for our members. 

Cheers, 

TF365.

I'll second this. >:(

There's a few categories of worst signing though....

The one of whom the most was expected but delivered the least  (worst big money)

The legitimate shittest footballer he signed

The irony signing... the one where they crucially needed a £50m Suarez and instead Arsene stubbornly went out and bought a guy from League 2 for two bob and a packet of crisps. 

• Subscriber

Someone like Mustafi is surely a bit of a contender. Could be well off the mark but he looks a shocking defender to me at times and they paid big money for him.

Granted he's obviously better than someone like Sanogo.

Igor Stepanovs, was literally only signed because Ray Parlour and a few others were bigging him up when he was on trial to wind up Martin Keown. xD

Jeffers for the money spent at the time was a shocker and also Andre Santos.

17 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Igor Stepanovs, was literally only signed because Ray Parlour and a few others were bigging him up when he was on trial to wind up Martin Keown. xD

Jeffers for the money spent at the time was a shocker and also Andre Santos.

Wenger’s “Fox in the box” rubbish, I’ll never forget that. As for André Santos... :dam:

Xhaka, Mustafi arent great players but I wouldnt call them worst signings of Wenger's career and I would also add Gabriel to that list.

I agree with balon, it has to be Sanogo for the worst signing.

5 minutes ago, Asura said:

Xhaka, Mustafi arent great players but I wouldnt call them worst signings of Wenger's career and I would also add Gabriel to that list.

I agree with balon, it has to be Sanogo for the worst signing.

I’d back Xhaka as the worst, quite comfortably, too. 

Xhaka arrived with great expectations, a growing reputation in the game and a lot of unfounded potential. He’s looked, at best, a League One journeyman. I’m not sure what his game is because he hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’s good at defending, tackling, creating things, passing or any attribute you’d associate with a midfielder. He also cost £40m, you want a return on that sort of fee. 

4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’d back Xhaka as the worst, quite comfortably, too. 

Xhaka arrived with great expectations, a growing reputation in the game and a lot of unfounded potential. He’s looked, at best, a League One journeyman. I’m not sure what his game is because he hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’s good at defending, tackling, creating things, passing or any attribute you’d associate with a midfielder. He also cost £40m, you want a return on that sort of fee. 

He is definitely not a great tackler or creator, but I think his ball distribution and range of passing are alright. Like I said he isnt a great player (atleast not at Arsenal from what I watched) but far off from being the worst signing of Wenger's 22 years career.

31 minutes ago, Asura said:

He is definitely not a great tackler or creator, but I think his ball distribution and range of passing are alright. Like I said he isnt a great player (atleast not at Arsenal from what I watched) but far off from being the worst signing of Wenger's 22 years career.

What was the expectations and transfer fees on people like Sanogo, Squillaci, Stepanovs etc? The expectations on those players wasn’t high at all, someone like Xhaka come with high expectation and a large transfer fee, I’d argue that though not technically the worst player in terms of natural ability, that he was worse than others due to the circumstances he joined the club. 

As with Man United, Angel Di Maria for me is a worse player than say Massimo Taibi. 

• Administrator
Just now, Happy Blue said:

The worse bit of transfer business he's done is having Yaya Toure turn up for a try out then turning him down O.o   ...almost as bad as Mourinho with De Bruyne xD

didn't he do similar with Ibra?

3 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

The worse bit of transfer business he's done is having Yaya Toure turn up for a try out then turning him down O.o   ...almost as bad as Mourinho with De Bruyne xD

We turned Mbappe down 

Just now, SirBalon said:

Reyes was quality... He didn’t fail on thay signing at all. It was José Antonio’s mental state regarding home sickness that ruined what would’ve been a tremendous signing. 

So it was a bad signing xD

Just now, Spike said:

So it was a bad signing xD

Yeah, but psychological issues cant be foreseen mate. I remember my brother was still living in London at the time and dating a girl that worked in the 02 Centre on the Isle of Dogs and while he was visiting her he met both Fabregàs and Reyes who were eating in a restaurant there... He came back and told me he had spoken to both of them and that Cesc had told him that Reyes was really unhappy living in London (obviously the conversation was more extensive than that and other things were spoken) and that he wanted to return to Spain. I know this sounds crazy, but trust me on this... This he told me well before Reyes leaving even became an issue and was performing admirably. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

Yeah, but psychological issues cant be foreseen mate. I remember my brother was still living in London at the time and dating a girl that worked in the 02 Centre on the Isle of Dogs and while he was visiting her he met both Fabregàs and Reyes who were eating in a restaurant there... He came back and told me he had spoken to both of them and that Cesc had told him that Reyes was really unhappy living in London (obviously the conversation was more extensive than that and other things were spoken) and that he wanted to return to Spain. I know this sounds crazy, but trust me on this... This he told me well before Reyes leaving even became an issue and was performing admirably. 

Nothing can be foreseen. It was a bad transfer. Francis Jeffers could have scored 300 goals for Arsenal, but he didn't as that couldn't be foreseen. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

What was the expectations and transfer fees on people like Sanogo, Squillaci, Stepanovs etc? The expectations on those players wasn’t high at all, someone like Xhaka come with high expectation and a large transfer fee, I’d argue that though not technically the worst player in terms of natural ability, that he was worse than others due to the circumstances he joined the club. 

As with Man United, Angel Di Maria for me is a worse player than say Massimo Taibi. 

Two different things, I was talking about player's ability and you are referring to the hype and expectations surrounding him which has nothing to do with the player. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

didn't he do similar with Ibra?

You will have to ask an Arsenal fan about that one, wouldn't surprise me though

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

We turned Mbappe down 

When did that happen?  ..that kids going to be the best striker in the game soon with Jesus

Archived