Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Arsène Wenger's Worst Signing?

Pascal Cygan. 

Jeremie Aliadiere.

Senderos

Chamakh.

All come to mind along with those. 

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Says signing not signings. 

says they all come to mind, not definitively who I think it is. Just suggestions you pedant. 

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

If you could confirm your choice in a future post, we can keep this thread nice and tidy for our members. 

Cheers, 

TF365.

I'll second this. >:(

Sanogo by quite some margin although there have been other hilarious signings. 

There's a few categories of worst signing though....

The one of whom the most was expected but delivered the least  (worst big money)

The legitimate shittest footballer he signed

The irony signing... the one where they crucially needed a £50m Suarez and instead Arsene stubbornly went out and bought a guy from League 2 for two bob and a packet of crisps. 

Someone like Mustafi is surely a bit of a contender. Could be well off the mark but he looks a shocking defender to me at times and they paid big money for him.

Granted he's obviously better than someone like Sanogo.

Igor Stepanovs, was literally only signed because Ray Parlour and a few others were bigging him up when he was on trial to wind up Martin Keown. xD

Jeffers for the money spent at the time was a shocker and also Andre Santos.

17 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Igor Stepanovs, was literally only signed because Ray Parlour and a few others were bigging him up when he was on trial to wind up Martin Keown. xD

Jeffers for the money spent at the time was a shocker and also Andre Santos.

Wenger’s “Fox in the box” rubbish, I’ll never forget that. As for André Santos... :dam:

Xhaka, Mustafi arent great players but I wouldnt call them worst signings of Wenger's career and I would also add Gabriel to that list.

I agree with balon, it has to be Sanogo for the worst signing.

5 minutes ago, Asura said:

Xhaka, Mustafi arent great players but I wouldnt call them worst signings of Wenger's career and I would also add Gabriel to that list.

I agree with balon, it has to be Sanogo for the worst signing.

I’d back Xhaka as the worst, quite comfortably, too. 

Xhaka arrived with great expectations, a growing reputation in the game and a lot of unfounded potential. He’s looked, at best, a League One journeyman. I’m not sure what his game is because he hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’s good at defending, tackling, creating things, passing or any attribute you’d associate with a midfielder. He also cost £40m, you want a return on that sort of fee. 

4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’d back Xhaka as the worst, quite comfortably, too. 

Xhaka arrived with great expectations, a growing reputation in the game and a lot of unfounded potential. He’s looked, at best, a League One journeyman. I’m not sure what his game is because he hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’s good at defending, tackling, creating things, passing or any attribute you’d associate with a midfielder. He also cost £40m, you want a return on that sort of fee. 

He is definitely not a great tackler or creator, but I think his ball distribution and range of passing are alright. Like I said he isnt a great player (atleast not at Arsenal from what I watched) but far off from being the worst signing of Wenger's 22 years career.

31 minutes ago, Asura said:

He is definitely not a great tackler or creator, but I think his ball distribution and range of passing are alright. Like I said he isnt a great player (atleast not at Arsenal from what I watched) but far off from being the worst signing of Wenger's 22 years career.

What was the expectations and transfer fees on people like Sanogo, Squillaci, Stepanovs etc? The expectations on those players wasn’t high at all, someone like Xhaka come with high expectation and a large transfer fee, I’d argue that though not technically the worst player in terms of natural ability, that he was worse than others due to the circumstances he joined the club. 

As with Man United, Angel Di Maria for me is a worse player than say Massimo Taibi. 

The worse bit of transfer business he's done is having Yaya Toure turn up for a try out then turning him down O.o   ...almost as bad as Mourinho with De Bruyne xD

Just now, Happy Blue said:

The worse bit of transfer business he's done is having Yaya Toure turn up for a try out then turning him down O.o   ...almost as bad as Mourinho with De Bruyne xD

didn't he do similar with Ibra?

3 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

We turned Mbappe down 

@SirBalon

A few more

Mickael Silvestre
Philippe Sendros
Denilson
Anotonio Reyes
Niklas Bendtner
Ryo Miyachi
Amaury Bischoff
Gervinho
Andrei Arshavin

• Upvote 1

Reyes was quality... He didn’t fail on thay signing at all. It was José Antonio’s mental state regarding home sickness that ruined what would’ve been a tremendous signing. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

Reyes was quality... He didn’t fail on thay signing at all. It was José Antonio’s mental state regarding home sickness that ruined what would’ve been a tremendous signing. 

So it was a bad signing xD

Just now, Spike said:

So it was a bad signing xD

Yeah, but psychological issues cant be foreseen mate. I remember my brother was still living in London at the time and dating a girl that worked in the 02 Centre on the Isle of Dogs and while he was visiting her he met both Fabregàs and Reyes who were eating in a restaurant there... He came back and told me he had spoken to both of them and that Cesc had told him that Reyes was really unhappy living in London (obviously the conversation was more extensive than that and other things were spoken) and that he wanted to return to Spain. I know this sounds crazy, but trust me on this... This he told me well before Reyes leaving even became an issue and was performing admirably. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

Yeah, but psychological issues cant be foreseen mate. I remember my brother was still living in London at the time and dating a girl that worked in the 02 Centre on the Isle of Dogs and while he was visiting her he met both Fabregàs and Reyes who were eating in a restaurant there... He came back and told me he had spoken to both of them and that Cesc had told him that Reyes was really unhappy living in London (obviously the conversation was more extensive than that and other things were spoken) and that he wanted to return to Spain. I know this sounds crazy, but trust me on this... This he told me well before Reyes leaving even became an issue and was performing admirably. 

Nothing can be foreseen. It was a bad transfer. Francis Jeffers could have scored 300 goals for Arsenal, but he didn't as that couldn't be foreseen. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

What was the expectations and transfer fees on people like Sanogo, Squillaci, Stepanovs etc? The expectations on those players wasn’t high at all, someone like Xhaka come with high expectation and a large transfer fee, I’d argue that though not technically the worst player in terms of natural ability, that he was worse than others due to the circumstances he joined the club. 

As with Man United, Angel Di Maria for me is a worse player than say Massimo Taibi. 

Two different things, I was talking about player's ability and you are referring to the hype and expectations surrounding him which has nothing to do with the player. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

didn't he do similar with Ibra?

You will have to ask an Arsenal fan about that one, wouldn't surprise me though

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

We turned Mbappe down 

When did that happen?  ..that kids going to be the best striker in the game soon with Jesus

26 minutes ago, Asura said:

Two different things, I was talking about player's ability and you are referring to the hype and expectations surrounding him which has nothing to do with the player. 

Of course it has something to do with the player.

The hype and expectation is, rightly or wrongly, an element of Football and clubs, managers and fans expect some sort of return for the clubs investment in terms of financial cost, the players wage and the players reputation/potential. 

Shevchenko arrived at Chelsea described as one of the best strikers on the planet, he failed to deliver and match his reputation, that’s why he’s classed as a poor signing by Chelsea. Just because he’s technically better than say Asmir Begovic, who’s reputation, wage payments and transfer fee was much smaller than Shevchenko’s, it doesn’t mean he’s an inferior player to Shevchencko. Both disappointed at Chelsea but for differing reasons.

Granit Xhaka was rated as one of the best young midfielders when signed by Arsenal. He was expected to be the ‘missing link’ that had been vacant in their side since Patrick Vieria’s departure. He cost Arsenal £40m, a sum that, at the time, was alien to Arsenal. He was expected to play regularly and contribute something to the Arsenal side. Frankly, he’s been atrocious, not lived up to the hype and has not justified his transfer fee. 

Take Francis Jeffers. He was signed by Arsenal at a time when they had Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp and potentially Sylvian Wiltord, too. Jeffers was never expected to be a regular first teamed at Arsenal just because of the competition he would have had. Jeffers signed for a relatively modest fee, too, £8m. Was Jeffers a success? Undoubtedly, not. Technically he wasn’t up to much but does that alone signify how good/bad a player is deemed? For me, no. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

That story is a little misguided. We couldn't get him a work permit and he didn't want to sign and get loaned out. I'm not sure if Wenger was totally sold on him but it is a shame we missed out.

57 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Of course it has something to do with the player.

The hype and expectation is, rightly or wrongly, an element of Football and clubs, managers and fans expect some sort of return for the clubs investment in terms of financial cost, the players wage and the players reputation/potential. 

Shevchenko arrived at Chelsea described as one of the best strikers on the planet, he failed to deliver and match his reputation, that’s why he’s classed as a poor signing by Chelsea. Just because he’s technically better than say Asmir Begovic, who’s reputation, wage payments and transfer fee was much smaller than Shevchenko’s, it doesn’t mean he’s an inferior player to Shevchencko. Both disappointed at Chelsea but for differing reasons.

Granit Xhaka was rated as one of the best young midfielders when signed by Arsenal. He was expected to be the ‘missing link’ that had been vacant in their side since Patrick Vieria’s departure. He cost Arsenal £40m, a sum that, at the time, was alien to Arsenal. He was expected to play regularly and contribute something to the Arsenal side. Frankly, he’s been atrocious, not lived up to the hype and has not justified his transfer fee. 

Take Francis Jeffers. He was signed by Arsenal at a time when they had Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp and potentially Sylvian Wiltord, too. Jeffers was never expected to be a regular first teamed at Arsenal just because of the competition he would have had. Jeffers signed for a relatively modest fee, too, £8m. Was Jeffers a success? Undoubtedly, not. Technically he wasn’t up to much but does that alone signify how good/bad a player is deemed? For me, no. 

Granit Xhaka has been fine, arguably our best player of late and one of the best passing DM's going. I'll admit he has had his shaky spells but he is a fantastic footballer. 

A lot of his struggles came from being played in the wrong position. Wenger was asking him to play box to box which is not his game. Finally started playing with Ramsey consistently and he hasn't looked back. I think he is very good and under the next man he can be top notch. Absolutely nowhere near his worst signing.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

That story is a little misguided. We couldn't get him a work permit and he didn't want to sign and get loaned out. I'm not sure if Wenger was totally sold on him but it is a shame we missed out.

Granit Xhaka has been fine, arguably our best player of late and one of the best passing DM's going. I'll admit he has had his shaky spells but he is a fantastic footballer. 

A lot of his struggles came from being played in the wrong position. Wenger was asking him to play box to box which is not his game. Finally started playing with Ramsey consistently and he hasn't looked back. I think he is very good and under the next man he can be top notch. Absolutely nowhere near his worst signing.

Where has Xhaka been in our away games this year?  Are you going to blame everything on Wenger?  Actually now, because you just said he ended up playing him in his correct position which apparently isn't as a DM... If he isn't a defensive midfielder, what is he exactly and what is he comparable to on the elite level?

He's mediocrity in my view mate.  He can be good (I've always said this especially his mid range passing), but in general he's ok and at times erratic.

Ask yourself this.., Would he get into any of Europe's top sides?  Who is he comparable to? 

• Upvote 1

Statistically Xhaka's passing and interceptions and ball winning has always been good at Arsenal. One or two moments that get a lot of focus from moronic pundits doesn't change the fact he's generally very good. It's not just with Xhaka though, it's normal for pundits to only mention players when their performance matches the narrative whether that's good or bad. On the other side of that was Barkley, who was incredibly inconsistent but as soon as he had a good game they'd pretend he was always playing like this and the national team needed to be built around him. Ignorance at its finest.

Anyway, can't think of one that sticks out as being the worst as the ones in contention are players that were bought for very little during the period we were barely spending in which case it wasn't really a disaster because of the low fees involved. The ones we spent big on (by our standards) performed to a decent level while maybe not always being great. Don't know how we finished top 4 all throughout that period, thankfully we had a great manager that sacrificed his CV for the club during those lean years. Wenger did a very good job during that period (if you're capable of looking at things in context which unfortunately most football fans aren't). :coffee: