talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Carlos Carvalhal Leaves Swansea

football forum

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44064957

Swansea City manager Carlos Carvalhal will leave at the end of the season.

A home loss to Southampton, coupled with Huddersfield's draw at Chelsea, means Swansea are almost certain to be relegated from the Premier League.

The Swans must beat Stoke while Saints lose to Manchester City with a 10-goal swing in Sunday's final round of games to secure an unlikely survival.

Carvalhal is out of contract at the end of the season but had been in talks to remain at the Liberty Stadium.

However, it is understood the Swansea board has decided not to renew Carvalhal's contract after a run of eight games without a win.

The news comes on the day that the Swansea City Supporters' Trust called for chairman Huw Jenkins to stand down from his position.

Former Wales striker Iwan Roberts said the decision on Carvalhal's future was "crucial" to Swansea's future as they plan for life in the Championship after seven successive campaigns in the Premier League.

"Who's going to be the manager now is the big question," Roberts said before the news broke of Carvalhal's imminent departure.

"There's some big questions: the owners need to come out and answer some questions as well.

"The club has tried to do things on the cheap, bring players in on the cheap."

The Trust, which owns a 20% stake in the club and has a director on the club's board, has reiterated its stance of no confidence in chairman Jenkins and insists he should stand down.

In a statement it has also said the club's American owners should implement a full review into the "running of the footballing side of the club", writing that the "Swansea way, for so long a source of considerable pride, has not existed for some time".

hasn't worked out so well for a manager who was highly rated to progress with them?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Can't remember what podcast it was I was listening to but they explained it pretty accurately for me. It doesn't take a crisis for a club like Swansea to get relegated. They and the rest of the bottom half of the league are always one bad season or one bad managerial appointment away from being relegated. This has been coming for some time and like all "smaller" clubs they'll go back down eventually.

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 15:38, Smiley Culture said:

Bad move by Swansea, for me. He did well at Swansea and with better backing, better resources and having settled into the role, I’d have give him a crack at it. 

Didn't pick up a win in the last 9 games though and only scored 3 goals. 3 goals...that's poor. If that was Paul Lambert or someone like that, he'd be in for big criticism.

Carvalhal did the hard part and got them out the relegation zone by grafting out results against Liverpool and Arsenal but they went far too conservative and defensive and it cost them. It's in the club's best interest's he goes I think.

They will be looking for an instant return and he couldn't manage it with Wednesday either given the resources at his disposal so that wasn't going to count well for him.

Archived