talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England World Cup Squad

Thank fuck Wilshere has been fucked off. As I said previously here, too many chances. Flattered to deceive for a poor Arsenal side.

Fair play Gareth. And I actually think it's doing Wilshere a favour. He can either sulk about it or come back next season fired up aiming for the Euro's.

Come back Jack and have another go when you've convinced us all there is a player at least half worth the hype in there.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

All I'll say is if they can get Lallana fully fit then I'd take him over Wilshere every time.

Fair enough but Southgate's justification for not selecting Wilshere earlier in the season was him not getting enough game time. Wilshere has played 25 games and over 2000 minutes more than Lallana this season and loses out to him?

The bloke is a massive twat who has gone against his word. If he didn't want Wilshere in just say he doesn't fit in to my squad/plans.

• Administrator

Apparently Shelvey, Bertrand and Cahill will also miss out.

Bertrand's exclusion may sound harsh but Young may play there instead? Young has been outstanding for Utd when played there this season. I'd be more confident with Bertrand than Delph at left-back though. 

16 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Wow

From Tony Adams, Sol Campbell, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, and Ledley King

To Chris Smalling, Gary Cahill, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, and John Stones

Talk about an upgrade

xD the England great

1 hour ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Fair enough but Southgate's justification for not selecting Wilshere earlier in the season was him not getting enough game time. Wilshere has played 25 games and over 2000 minutes more than Lallana this season and loses out to him?

The bloke is a massive twat who has gone against his word. If he didn't want Wilshere in just say he doesn't fit in to my squad/plans.

Lallana isn't as injury prone as Wilshere though and has probably played a lot more minutes and delivered a lot more on the pitch than Wilshere has the last couple of seasons.

I don't think you can look at Lallana the same way as Wilshere when listening to what he said about injuries.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Lallana isn't as injury prone as Wilshere though and has probably played a lot more minutes and delivered a lot more on the pitch than Wilshere has the last couple of seasons.

I don't think you can look at Lallana the same way as Wilshere when listening to what he said about injuries.

Lallana definitely hasn't played a lot more minutes this season.

Minutes
This season
Lallana - 459
Wilshere - 2795

Last season
Lallana - 2607
Wilshere - 1950

Lallana:
8 goals, 7 assists in 35 games in 16/17.
0 goals, 1 assist in 15 games in 17/18

Wilshere
2 goals, 0 assists in 29 games in 16/17
2 goals, 7 assists in 40 games in 17/18

So Wilshere has actually played in more games, played more minutes in total, and been more productive this season than last season than Lallana.

I think everyone is well within their rights to look at Lallana in the same way as Wilshere when it comes to injuries. I'd rather take Wilshere over Lallana because the Arsenal player would more likely be fitter than Lallana. 

Lallana might not even be fit for the Champions League final so, with no football between that game and friendlies, by which time the squad will be announced, how can Lallana get fully match fit by the start of the tournament?

23 minutes ago, Danny said:

I don't have any issue with that. What I have an issue with is that Southgate specifically said earlier in the season Wilshere didn't deserve a call-up because he wasn't playing enough. I think that was fair enough, but why has it only seemed to apply to Wilshere?

Wilshere went on to play plenty of games for Arsenal and didn't get injured once all season. So why now is Lallana getting called up when he has not been playing for his club at all? Why is it one rule for Wilshere and another for Lallana?

Southgate is just wet to me, it's clearly an agenda towards Wilshere and he has flip flopped on the whole situation. If he didn't want him involved then fair enough just say it, instead of bullshitting.

• Subscriber
On 11/05/2018 at 15:15, Chaaay AFC said:

GK - Pickford, Butland, Pope

Defence - Walker, Alexander-Arnold, Tarkowski, Jones, Stones, Maguire, Young, Bertrand.

Midfield - Dier, Wilshere, Henderson, Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Delph.

Forwards - Sterling, Lingard, Vardy, Kane, Rashford, Welbeck.

Something along those lines. I presume Rose won't be fit in time otherwise I'd have him over Bertrand, or you could swap him out for another midfielder. Not sure Lallana should make it considering he has been injured all season, although I can see a case for him over someone like Welbeck. I think Danny should come as he is versatile and can fill a role out wide or up top. Pope deserves it over Hart and I can't see any reason why Tarkowski shouldn't make it.

I think the way forward for this team would be a 3 back formation which worked well in recent friendlies. Would love to see us go two up top though with Vardy and Kane if we could get it to work.

Why wouldn't Rose be fit mate? Played our final game of the season, unless he picked up a knock then I'm unaware of?

Fully agree with you on the second, we should be playing Kane and Vardy, it's just a worry they occupy the same space and can't be effective together, but on paper they should be a brilliant partnership. I also think they really don't like each other though 

Shelvey should be a cert to start the first two games for me. We haven't got anybody who can pick a pass like him. That distribution could be crucial when we're playing against teams who have that Iceland and Slovenia mentality of sticking men behind the ball.

Personally I'd go for:

Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope, Jack Butland 

Kyle Walker, John Stones, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Kieron Trippier, Ashley Young 

Raheem Sterling, Fabian Delph, Jesse Lingard, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jordan Henderson, Jack Wilshere, Jonjo Shelvey, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Ryan Sessegnon 

Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jamie Vardy, Jermaine Defoe.

First two games:

Pickford 

Walker - Stones - Dier - Young 

Shelvey - Wilshere

Sterling - Alli - Lingard 

Kane 

Belgium:

Pickford 

Walker - Jones - Stones - Dier - Young 

Henderson - Alli

Sterling - Kane - Vardy 

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Why wouldn't Rose be fit mate? Played our final game of the season, unless he picked up a knock then I'm unaware of?

Fully agree with you on the second, we should be playing Kane and Vardy, it's just a worry they occupy the same space and can't be effective together, but on paper they should be a brilliant partnership. I also think they really don't like each other though 

I wasnt sure as no-one was picking him aha. He has to go if fit for me. 

Yeah would love to see Vardy and Kane work as they are both absolutely brilliant. Shame we have a tool in charge once again, so I don't expect him to get it to work.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Lallana definitely hasn't played a lot more minutes this season.

Minutes
This season
Lallana - 459
Wilshere - 2795

Last season
Lallana - 2607
Wilshere - 1950

Lallana:
8 goals, 7 assists in 35 games in 16/17.
0 goals, 1 assist in 15 games in 17/18

Wilshere
2 goals, 0 assists in 29 games in 16/17
2 goals, 7 assists in 40 games in 17/18

So Wilshere has actually played in more games, played more minutes in total, and been more productive this season than last season than Lallana.

I think everyone is well within their rights to look at Lallana in the same way as Wilshere when it comes to injuries. I'd rather take Wilshere over Lallana because the Arsenal player would more likely be fitter than Lallana. 

Lallana might not even be fit for the Champions League final so, with no football between that game and friendlies, by which time the squad will be announced, how can Lallana get fully match fit by the start of the tournament?

I meant seasons past so probably should have said few. But my point is that Lallana hasn't had to prove his fitness whereas Wilshere has.

Think Wilshere not going is a loss, I think he’s had a pretty decent season considering he’s managed to stay fit and play in numerous games for Arsenal, including Europa League games. He’s managed to get into the habit of Thursday-Sunday games, which was a big ask. 

As for Hart, he doesn’t deserve to go for his performances on the field for West Ham, so it’s no surprise to see him left out but there’s no senior keeper going to the World Cup as I assume it’s Pickford, Butland and Pope, all who have barely played for England and not made that many Premier League appearances. 

29 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Think Wilshere not going is a loss, I think he’s had a pretty decent season considering he’s managed to stay fit and play in numerous games for Arsenal, including Europa League games. He’s managed to get into the habit of Thursday-Sunday games, which was a big ask. 

As for Hart, he doesn’t deserve to go for his performances on the field for West Ham, so it’s no surprise to see him left out but there’s no senior keeper going to the World Cup as I assume it’s Pickford, Butland and Pope, all who have barely played for England and not made that many Premier League appearances. 

Wilshere is our only player who can take the ball from a deep position and through passing or dribbling advance into the box. Rest of our centremids are quite rigid, defensive or just watercarriers.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

TAA has apparently made the squad!

Deserves it.

swings and roundabouts. Apparently Gary Cahill has made the squad too :dash3:

Three right-backs in the squad but we all know that the Premier League’s best right-back this season, Kyle Walker, is going to end up being shoved in the middle of a three-man defence, as he was for the Netherlands and Italy friendlies a couple of months ago. 

Why is it that just before a major tournament the England manager decides to do something bat-shit crazy like this? 

• The topic was pinned

Archived