• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Butland, Pickford, Pope 

Walker, Alexander-Arnold, Trippier

Smalling, Maguire, Jones, Mee/Tarkowski, Stones 

Young, Shaw?, Bertrand, 

Dier, Lallana, Wilshere, Alli, Delph, Lingard, Henderson? 

Sterling, Vardy, Kane, Rashford

Mixture of who I think will go and who I'd take. Henderson and Shaw I'm unsure on. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Why doesn't title winning Delph get a mention but Shaw and Young who keeps Shaw out of United's first eleven do?

he is there you melt. 

• Subscriber

Pickford
Butland
Hart

Walker
Trippier
Alexander-Arnold
Young
Bertrand
Maguire
Stones
Jones

Dier **
Henderson
Delph **
Alli
Shelvey
Loftus-Cheek
Wilshere

Kane
Vardy
Rashford
Sterling
Lingard

That's going off the assumptions that:

- He does ignore Nick Pope, which I fully expect him to. He won't take an uncapped player over Joe Hart. I also think it'd be unlucky for all Burnley players to miss out.

- James Milner isn't going to bother. I think there's a very good case for him going. Versatile and performing well.

- We play three at the back primarily, hence why I've got Walker, Trippier and TAA. If we were to take two right backs with Walker as one, I actually think I'd take TAA over Trippier.

- Wilshere's fit enough to hack it.

** Delph and Dier are versatile and can be down as defenders as well as midfielders.

GK - Pickford, Butland, Pope

Defence - Walker, Alexander-Arnold, Tarkowski, Jones, Stones, Maguire, Young, Bertrand.

Midfield - Dier, Wilshere, Henderson, Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Delph.

Forwards - Sterling, Lingard, Vardy, Kane, Rashford, Welbeck.

Something along those lines. I presume Rose won't be fit in time otherwise I'd have him over Bertrand, or you could swap him out for another midfielder. Not sure Lallana should make it considering he has been injured all season, although I can see a case for him over someone like Welbeck. I think Danny should come as he is versatile and can fill a role out wide or up top. Pope deserves it over Hart and I can't see any reason why Tarkowski shouldn't make it.

I think the way forward for this team would be a 3 back formation which worked well in recent friendlies. Would love to see us go two up top though with Vardy and Kane if we could get it to work.

It will be interesting to see how many people jump on the Jonjo Shelvey bandwagon after Shearer's comments on MOTD last night.

Personally I've never be too fond of him but at the same time, I just do not see the logic in us taking Wilshere when the guy just hasn't had enough games. What has he done this season to get in there? Or are we picking the player based on what he's shown flashes of in the past?

At least Shelvey has had a reasonably consistent season at Newcastle. I just want some bloody creativity and someone who isn't afraid to have a crack. Shelvey is that guy.

P.S And I'm glad we're fucking Smalling off too. Never been a fan. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It will be interesting to see how many people jump on the Jonjo Shelvey bandwagon after Shearer's comments on MOTD last night.

Personally I've never be too fond of him but at the same time, I just do not see the logic in us taking Wilshere when the guy just hasn't had enough games. What has he done this season to get in there? Or are we picking the player based on what he's shown flashes of in the past?

At least Shelvey has had a reasonably consistent season at Newcastle. I just want some bloody creativity and someone who isn't afraid to have a crack. Shelvey is that guy.

Loads of people already have. If he wasn't mentioned on MOTD, he'd barely be a thought in people's minds.

Funnily enough regarding Wilshere, a while ago I was quite against him making the squad based on lack of games but he's had a decent run in the last few months hasn't he? Still a bit of a liability injury-wise but I think I'd prefer him to Shelvey? 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Loads of people already have. If he wasn't mentioned on MOTD, he'd barely be a thought in people's minds.

That just shows those whose only source is MOTD because there have been endless widespread media calls for a Shelvey callup for a good month now. 

From Garth Crooks to Paul Merson :ph34r:

Every time we are on the tele the commentator will mention it as Shelvey carves yet another team open.

10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Wilshere has played 40 games this season. xD

He hasn't been great this season but he easily makes this squad. Far better than Shelvey that's for sure, not forgetting Shelvey can be a massive liability in terms of his aggression.

Just now, Stan said:

Funnily enough regarding Wilshere, a while ago I was quite against him making the squad based on lack of games but he's had a decent run in the last few months hasn't he? Still a bit of a liability injury-wise but I think I'd prefer him to Shelvey? 

I'll admit, I wouldn't have to be honest. Then again, I've not watched a lot of Newcastle as they haven't been on TV as much.

I can honestly say I've not been too wowed by Jack Wilshere. I can't look at the guy and say he's going to dictate the game for us. I don't think he's done it enough at Arsenal.

I'd be happy to give Shelvey a go even if he's not really someone I've ever been too keen on. But maybe he has something to prove after all his disciplinary problems.

2 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Wilshere has played 40 games this season. xD

He hasn't been great this season but he easily makes this squad. Far better than Shelvey that's for sure, not forgetting Shelvey can be a massive liability in terms of his aggression.

40? Even worse then because if he's had that many games to prove himself, he's been largely oblivious for me. 

I would take Wilshere over Shelvey, both have different expectations which is why Shelvey is being brought up but I don't think he offers as much as Wilshere.

I don't think either offer that much these days, but beggars can't be choosers.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I've not even seen MOTD and I've been banging the Shelvey drum a while. No doubt for me he should be going. A quality player technically and isn't as big a luxury as perceived either. I think he offers us something different and I want him there.

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

Apparently Wilshere is out and Delph is in. 

Heard that too. Shame for him as I felt he more than deserved a call-up. Hasn't been at his best this season, but the quality is definitely there and would have been a valuable squad member.

The biggest injustice for me though is that Southgate claimed he wasn't getting selected earlier in the season because he wasn't playing enough, but has apparently selected Lallana who has played close to fuck all this season. Blokes a total moron and I hope he fucks off after this tournament.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Heard that too. Shame for him as I felt he more than deserved a call-up. Hasn't been at his best this season, but the quality is definitely there and would have been a valuable squad member.

The biggest injustice for me though is that Southgate claimed he wasn't getting selected earlier in the season because he wasn't playing enough, but has apparently selected Lallana who has played close to fuck all this season. Blokes a total moron and I hope he fucks off after this tournament.

yeah that's quite contradictory if so.

Doesn't make sense and although I'm not his biggest fan, I'd rather have Wilshere going than Lallana purely because the former has played more. 

Just now, Stan said:

yeah that's quite contradictory if so.

Doesn't make sense and although I'm not his biggest fan, I'd rather have Wilshere going than Lallana purely because the former has played more. 

I'm not even Wilshere's biggest fan really and if there were better options then fair enough, but I don't see the logic in not even taking him?

It's clearly an agenda Southgate has had from the start. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I'm not even Wilshere's biggest fan really and if there were better options then fair enough, but I don't see the logic in not even taking him?

It's clearly an agenda Southgate has had from the start. 

he may just be worried that Wilshere is a bit of a liability in that if he takes him and he gets injured first game, it's almost a waste of space as you can't call up replacements.

But then that's the same for Lallana who is injury prone as well so it doesn't make sense to not take one and replace him with the other.

• The topic was pinned

Archived