talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England World Cup Squad

England should set up like Man City, use Walker and Rose as wing backs, Southgate should have Pep on speed dial

Pickford

Stones         Maguire 

Walker          Dier           Rose

Ali                Delph

Sterling        Kane          Vardy

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

The squad looks poor in centre mid.

There was no point bringing Welbeck we need a centre mid with a forward pass in them. 

Delph is that man, he's got a good right peg aswell and runs around like an energiser bunny on whizz!

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

A piece of turd could wear a Man City shirt and you'd big it up

Mate, the phrase goes 

'you can't polish a turd' 

BUT YOU CAN COVER IT IN GLITTER! 

12 hours ago, 6666 said:

This idea that having no egos means a team will do well doesn't stand up. Teams like that just make up the numbers.

And this idea that Wilshere has an ego doesn't stand up either. He was okay with playing for Bournemouth and Bolton. :ph34r:

Having a squad full of footballers who believe their own hype has served England really well in the past hasn't it?

The national side needs a bit of humility in it- after being fucking embarrassing for years with all your big name 'avin it large Gerrards, Beckhams, Ferdinands, Rooneys, I'm quite happy to see a team of workhorses. 

Not many egos in the German side, for example, they play for the shirt, they play for each other. Just helps them that they're all world class!

Oh, and the Ronaldo and Portugal comment is a non sequitur. That side has been set up for the past 10 years to give the best player in the world total freedom to do what he wants.

Portugal play awful defensive shite but have Ronaldo to carry them. We could be a low budget version with Kane (and Sterling, who's had a pretty fucking decent season).

Wilshire is super overrated and I don't think he's missed in the England squad at all.

I think this England squad is different to so many others we've taken to world cups as basically everyone but Cahill and Welbeck (and Lallana on the standby list) is there on merit.

And I know the Arsenal fans will probably disagree but Lallana is England's best technical midfielder and has actually played well for England, while Wilshire is a decent player but not as good. So I'd rather have him in case of emergency than Wilshire.

54 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Portugal play awful defensive shite but have Ronaldo to carry them. We could be a low budget version with Kane (and Sterling, who's had a pretty fucking decent season).

Wilshire is super overrated and I don't think he's missed in the England squad at all.

I think this England squad is different to so many others we've taken to world cups as basically everyone but Cahill and Welbeck (and Lallana on the standby list) is there on merit.

And I know the Arsenal fans will probably disagree but Lallana is England's best technical midfielder and has actually played well for England, while Wilshire is a decent player but not as good. So I'd rather have him in case of emergency than Wilshire.

I've mentioned Lallana and how not even having either Lallana or Shelvey instead of Wilshere makes the decision even more baffling.

Taking 7 midfielders, one of which can play CB if needed anyway, is terrible squad management. The squad seems like it's been picked by a random BT Sport pundit.

The bigger issue though is that like the 2 previous tournaments, we go into the warm up games still needing to figure out the team and how they will play. It's laughable how disorganised we always are going into a tournament and it's laughable how that never gets talked about by the so called experts.

13 hours ago, Stan said:

Mate, the phrase goes 

'you can't polish a turd' 

BUT YOU CAN COVER IT IN GLITTER! 

I'm not sure you are allowed to say that anymore after the bloke who sang do you wanna be in my gang used it as a chat up line 

We're gonna do absolutely fuck all as usual. @Storts basically put up the best lineup we can put out, and it still leaves a shit ton to be desired. Shelvey would have been on that plane instead of Welbeck. Lallana should be on it too. We have little creativity that squad.. 

My ideal line up  (if the right people went) 

------------------------ Pickford ---------------------

---------- Maguire ------------ Cahill -------------

-- Walker --------------------------------- Young--

-------------- Henderson -- Dier -----------------

-----Sterling ---------Alli --------- Lallana------

-------------------------Kane---------------------------

I don't get the calls for Shelvey, barely anyone has had a word to say about him all season and now it's selection time his name pops up. Regardless of whether or not we're missing that sort of player (we are), both Shelvey and Wilshere are no great loss.

I wish Lallana was fit but he won't be, it'll essentially be a pre-season for him. I'd probably like to see something like the below but I think it'll be what @Storts posted.

Pickford

Walker - Stones - Maguire - Rose

Dier - Henderson

Sterling  - Alli - Rashford

Kane

• Administrator

Not saying we're gonna win the World Cup but England have won every World Cup they've taken a current Leicester player to i.e. we're gonna win the World Cup. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Storts said:

Captain Kane :x

Not sure Southgate had much choice

rather he be captain than take corners and free-kicks.

Talking of which, who will be taking set-pieces?

• Subscriber
On 22/05/2018 at 10:12, Danny said:

Corners Henderson or Dier?

Really doesn't matter who the captain is, the team is being groomed to have multiple leaders within it and I doubt they care too much.

Dier is a threat in the air, no way it’s him - Hendo probably and also Trippier if he plays I’d imagine 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived