talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Trent Alexander-Arnold for England?

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp believes Gareth Southgate would be making a "good choice" if he includes Trent Alexander-Arnold in England's 23-man World Cup squad.

England are set to announce their squad for Russia on May 16 and Jurgen Klopp believes Alexander-Arnold would be a valuable player to have in the squad.

Klopp said: "I am a fan of Trent. That's why he plays very often, and because he plays on a high level. He's developed over the past year. Mentally he didn't have to improve but physically he did.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Don't really believe Klopp means that, more like pumping psuedo-
confidence. If he does go, I bet he gets as much playing time as the third GK.

19 years old. In the CL final and in the world cup finals. 

The fuck were you doing at 19? xD

I'd bring him, because while he's got flaws he's got a few things that are good in his engine and he's been pretty good for us going forward this season. Granted his competition for a first team spot this season has been Gomez, who's been alright... but I think is nowhere near ready for first team football, let alone playing for England... especially at a world cup. And Clyne, who I think is a very good rightback... but he's not been match fit at any point this season. And in his few appearances this season, he's looked well out of fitness and out of form.

But he's grown a lot as a player this season and despite the criticism he's gotten from defensive errors, which I cant say he hasn't made - he has, he's also had some matches where he's been defensively outstanding. And he's got a hell of an engine on him and is comfortable on the ball. He's come through the ranks as a right back, but there's some debate as to whether that's his long term position or whether he's coming into the team as a right back because he's got a crazy workrate and can go forward well, and it's an easy way to get him into the first team - like what happened with Stevie. But there are some who think long term he's going to be a midfielder for us.

Regardless, he's pretty good for a 19 year old and I'd bring him to the world cup for the experience, rather than as a starting right back or anything. I'd rather have the England squad players be people who'll play a part in England sides in the future than old veterans who are on their way out and haven't really proven anything on the international stage. He's also got experience in a high profile and high prestige cup run.

Archived