talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wilfried Zaha - Chelsea & Spurs Linked

Palace do have a point, you did pay £50m for Sigurdsson. I'd say Zaha is of similar quality and has far more years in him.

I still found that the most baffling decision Everton made last summer, why splash £50m on another attacking mid when you already had Rooney and Klaassen in.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Palace do have a point, you did pay £50m for Sigurdsson. I'd say Zaha is of similar quality and has far more years in him.

I still found that the most baffling decision Everton made last summer, why splash £50m on another attacking mid when you already had Rooney and Klaassen in.

Turned out Sigurdsson was the best signing of the three even at that price.

I think we need to steer well clear of these fees for a while. This is Exhibit A of why you shouldn't go spunking 120m when you don't back it up. If we were to sign Zaha for 60m now and tried to sign someone else next summer it'll be "well they spent 60m on Zaha so we won't accept less than 75m for our player".

Not that I think a player like Zaha should even be our priority even if it was for 35m or 40m.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Turned out Sigurdsson was the best signing of the three even at that price.

I think we need to steer well clear of these fees for a while. This is Exhibit A of why you shouldn't go spunking 120m when you don't back it up. If we were to sign Zaha for 60m now and tried to sign someone else next summer it'll be "well they spent 60m on Zaha so we won't accept less than 75m for our player".

Not that I think a player like Zaha should even be our priority even if it was for 35m or 40m.

Definitely mate, even in this inflated market there is still good value in it. I just think Everton tried to build up to quick and it backfired a little. With a bit of smarts you can get great quality at a good price, hopefully your new technical team are much better than your last.

On 15/07/2018 at 08:50, RandoEFC said:

Our new transfer team obviously need slightly longer to adapt to the retarded nature of the market in England these days.

I think the problem is they need slightly longer to adapt to the 'retarded' prices you paid last summer.

We don't need to sell, he's no doubt not particularly keen on Everton, and you are known to pay over inflated prices. Of course we are going to laugh at that offer.

It sounds like Roy Hodgson wants to keep him anyway. We've lost Sako by the looks of things. Without Wilf and Andros we would look lightweight in almost every position.

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think the problem is they need slightly longer to adapt to the 'retarded' prices you paid last summer.

We don't need to sell, he's no doubt not particularly keen on Everton, and you are known to pay over inflated prices. Of course we are going to laugh at that offer.

It sounds like Roy Hodgson wants to keep him anyway. We've lost Sako by the looks of things. Without Wilf and Andros we would look lightweight in almost every position.

Apart from arguably Sigurdsson for 45m none of the prices we paid last summer were retarded. Keane and Pickford for 25m to 30m was and is the going rate for half decent English players in the Premier League. Ajax captain Klaassen for 23m or whatever is pretty standard, Sandro was peanuts and Rooney and Martina were free. Have all the time in the world for you mate but let's get facts straight. Yes last summer's transfer window was a disaster for us but only because so many of the players under performed and we didn't replace Lukaku. Doesn't mean you can level any criticism you fancy at our poor business last summer and automatically be correct just because it was poor business.

Only after Neymar did fees really go full retard. 

16 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Apart from arguably Sigurdsson for 45m none of the prices we paid last summer were retarded. Keane and Pickford for 25m to 30m was and is the going rate for half decent English players in the Premier League. Ajax captain Klaassen for 23m or whatever is pretty standard, Sandro was peanuts and Rooney and Martina were free. Have all the time in the world for you mate but let's get facts straight. Yes last summer's transfer window was a disaster for us but only because so many of the players under performed and we didn't replace Lukaku. Doesn't mean you can level any criticism you fancy at our poor business last summer and automatically be correct just because it was poor business.

Only after Neymar did fees really go full retard. 

The Sigurdsson fee is what predominantly caussd the laughter in the first place.

A year has progressed since then, the market is still in a position where it could fluctuate heavy, we are in no position to sell our best asset and he has made no efforts to force a move. Thirty five million with all those factors is, well, laughable. Especially when you consider we are talking about the most influential player outside the top six joining another team outside the top six that are still a long way off challenging the top six.

To be brutally honest you're wasting a lot of everybody's time.

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The Sigurdsson fee is what predominantly caussd the laughter in the first place.

A year has progressed since then, the market is still in a position where it could fluctuate heavy, we are in no position to sell our best asset and he has made no efforts to force a move. Thirty five million with all those factors is, well, laughable. Especially when you consider we are talking about the most influential player outside the top six joining another team outside the top six that are still a long way off challenging the top six.

To be brutally honest you're wasting a lot of everybody's time.

Already admitted it's laughable mate which is why I commented on the markets fluctuation as the reason why it's laughable. The only gripe I have with what you said is that you referred to the 'retarded prices' we paid last season when it was only really one and I hardly think Sigurdssons transfer was one of the major ones that impacted on the market we see today.

Arguably that transfer makes clubs think they can get more money out of us this summer but I think by the fact that we haven't even signed a player let alone for an inflated fee this summer makes it pretty clear that nobody is getting one over our new transfer team in the same way this time around.

If Palace think they look big time or something by "laughing at" Everton then good for them, I like Palace but it's also pretty amusing if they think they're in a position to laugh at a club they probably haven't finished above since before I was born. You'll note that there's hardly a clamouring from our fans to make sure we get Zaha or a sustained pursuit from the club itself that anyone knows of so I wouldn't go reading into this minor story as some sort of Palace getting one over on us.

Last paragraph might be harsh and I'm not saying it's true given that the source is an unofficial "ITK" on a podcast not linked to the club, I'm just saying if Palace think they're laughing at us then good for them.

You crack on and so will we and your fans can have a cracking laugh at us when Zaha fires you to 11th place and we end up underwhelmed with another 7th or 8th.

Look mate, everyone is entitled to laugh at Everton. Also Sigurdson’s transfer will obviously impact how clubs view selling to you - it’s an indication of what Everton are willing to pay for their top targets.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Look mate, everyone is entitled to laugh at Everton. Also Sigurdson’s transfer will obviously impact how clubs view selling to you - it’s an indication of what Everton are willing to pay for their top targets.

xD

It's an indication of what Walsh and Koeman were willing to pay for top targets and as a result they're both out on their arses now because that's not how the club want to operate.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

xD

It's an indication of what Walsh and Koeman were willing to pay for top targets and as a result they're both out on their arses now because that's not how the club want to operate.

Yeah but a selling club isn’t going to give a fuck that you sacked a manager or whatever the fuck Walsh was - they only care that your board sanctioned spending that much. Right now it’s a sellers market.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but a selling club isn’t going to give a fuck that you sacked a manager or whatever the fuck Walsh was - they only care that your board sanctioned spending that much. Right now it’s a sellers market.

They only care if this story is actually true and as far as I've heard only a nomark journalist on a podcast who apparently knows someone on the inside at Palace and is looking for some cheap publicity has said anything about it.

Then again, most people tend to prefer practically baseless rumours if it suits their agenda over actual facts. Don't know why I'm even arguing because I should be used to it.

Personally I think it's class if we offered them 35m for Zaha and they turned it down. He is more than a 35m player but isn't 35m worth of improvement to our squad.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

They only care if this story is actually true and as far as I've heard only a nomark journalist on a podcast who apparently knows someone on the inside at Palace and is looking for some cheap publicity has said anything about it.

Then again, most people tend to prefer practically baseless rumours if it suits their agenda over actual facts. Don't know why I'm even arguing because I should be used to it.

Personally I think it's class if we offered them 35m for Zaha and they turned it down. He is more than a 35m player but isn't 35m worth of improvement to our squad.

Yeah please don’t sign Zaha, I actually like him. 

A couple of news outlets are reporting that he's asked to leave to further his career. I imagine this U turn has come after this being the third occasion in the last five summers where we are entering a season ill equiped throigh absolutely no fault of the players and coaching staff.

This puts us in a really difficult position. The ideal move for him would be Tottenham, he would provide a different attacking outlet to what they have due to his ability to get past a defence. The difficulty is I can't see Daniel Levy paying anywhere near our valuation for him. It was only two summer's ago Pochettino was compairing him to Ronaldo and offering eleven million.

If he is to go anywhere I would quite like to see him replace Willian at Chelsea. He's quick, skillfull, direct, his end game has improved dramatically and with better players around him he will play better.

The major problem Zaha has (through no fault of his own) is I can't see us replacing his influence for sixty or even seventy million. The stats over the last two seasons are pretty damming and suggest without him we are pretty screwed. Now that we are losing Townsend and have lost both Cabaye and Sako that squad is a lot weaker than it was. It just amazes me this Groundhog Day feeling I constantly get of finishing a season feeling really great with something like 7 out of 10 wins, really looking forward to next season, and then spending from mid July to mid December thinking were screwed.

On 18/07/2018 at 12:39, RandoEFC said:

Already admitted it's laughable mate which is why I commented on the markets fluctuation as the reason why it's laughable. The only gripe I have with what you said is that you referred to the 'retarded prices' we paid last season when it was only really one and I hardly think Sigurdssons transfer was one of the major ones that impacted on the market we see today.

Arguably that transfer makes clubs think they can get more money out of us this summer but I think by the fact that we haven't even signed a player let alone for an inflated fee this summer makes it pretty clear that nobody is getting one over our new transfer team in the same way this time around.

If Palace think they look big time or something by "laughing at" Everton then good for them, I like Palace but it's also pretty amusing if they think they're in a position to laugh at a club they probably haven't finished above since before I was born. You'll note that there's hardly a clamouring from our fans to make sure we get Zaha or a sustained pursuit from the club itself that anyone knows of so I wouldn't go reading into this minor story as some sort of Palace getting one over on us.

Last paragraph might be harsh and I'm not saying it's true given that the source is an unofficial "ITK" on a podcast not linked to the club, I'm just saying if Palace think they're laughing at us then good for them.

You crack on and so will we and your fans can have a cracking laugh at us when Zaha fires you to 11th place and we end up underwhelmed with another 7th or 8th.

Firstly, I used the exact same language you used towards the valuation of the player. So there's no point having a gripe about it. Your memory is also very short as before this takeover you finished below us, and would have done so again if it wasn't for a Pardew implosion. You are a tier above us in football standing but based on last season we have no reason to fear you or feel the need to sell any players to you. The gap from Everton and Leicester to the chasing pack isn't as big as it should be.

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Firstly, I used the exact same language you used towards the valuation of the player. So there's no point having a gripe about it. Your memory is also very short as before this takeover you finished below us, and would have done so again if it wasn't for a Pardew implosion. You are a tier above us in football standing but based on last season we have no reason to fear you or feel the need to sell any players to you. The gap from Everton and Leicester to the chasing pack isn't as big as it should be.

Fair enough, I said probably but one season doesn't really affect my point (like you've said).

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m shocked by how poor Zaha’s stats are. 22 goals (one in 6.5) and 16 assists (one in 9) in 143 Premier League games.  He’s also picked up more yellow cards than goal assists (20). 

Anyone will to pay more than £20m is daft IMO. 

He's improved dramatically over the last two seasons. I expected him to really falter without Yannick but to be fair to him he's pushed on and matured.

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

No top club is gonna be after him at that price, he's simply not good enough. 

I think it will be cash and a player. Dortmund have set an early precedent by offering cash and Schurrle. Schurrle's arguably a very good player, and could do a lot better than Palace, but hes not a player that suits the way we play. 

Everton cash and Bolasie, and Spurs cash and Sissoko I presume are pure guess work. Neither player would really help our cause significantly at the minute.

• Subscriber

As @The Palace Fan knows I'm a big fan of Zaha and wanted him previously - but there's absolutely no way we're paying the ludicrous 60-70 million fee. Can imagine the most we'd go to is about 40 million and that clearly won't cut it.

By ludicrous I'm not criticising Palace either, they're well within their rights to ask for that sort of fee because as TPF has said - it's almost impossible to replace a player like Zaha's influence, almost regardless of money.

We'll see how this develops. I've always thought that Zaha was a very expensive back up plan for us and considering our lack of activity so far - it may be one we start pursuing soon, or more likely have done so privately hence Zaha's new wish to leave,

Zaha needs to prove himself at a club aiming for 6-9th before he's ready for the top. Because up to now he has only shown form in a side that flirts with relegation. He's not worth the 60m Palace want to most clubs, but he is to them and I don't blame the price. The lad isn't going to get the move he wants unless somebody loses their mind.

• Subscriber

Daily Mail - Wilfried Zaha is eyeing a big move away from Crystal Palace this summer, with Everton and Borussia Dortmund keen to sign the talented winger. Palace are desperate to keep their star man and will demand upwards of £60million, given he has a further four years to run on his current contract. Contrary to reports, Sportsmail understands that Tottenham are not one of the clubs interested in signing the Ivory Coast international, having baulked at the asking price. The Eagles remain in a strong position heading into any negotiations after they extended Zaha’s contract last summer to take him through until June 2022. Everton and Bundesliga giants Borussia Dortmund are currently the two frontrunners for the 25-year-old’s signature, but it is as yet unclear whether he would accept a move that far from his south London home.”

Daily Mirror- 

Everton are plotting part-exchange bid for £60m-rated Wilfried Zaha.

Everton are ready to give Palace the chance to re-sign former favourite Yannick Bolasie and offer cash on top for Zaha.

Everton value Bolasie at around £15m.

German’s Borussia Dortmund are also keen while ambitious West Ham are understood to have baulked at Palace’s valuation.

As reported on Mirror Football, Zaha is keen to move on and, having turned down Palace’s offer to make him their new £125,000-per-week highest earner, contract talks have been shelved.

The 25 year-old has made no secret of his own ambitions and he and his representatives are understood to have been left concerned by recent comments from boss Roy Hodgson.

Zaha was an inspirational figure last season in Palace’s successful survival bid.

But Hodgson has warned Palace are preparing for another battle against the drop in the new season.

I'll be amazed and furious if we pay the asking price. Cash plus Bolasie you're still looking at £45m cash in that deal. Still too much if we actually want to change the way we do transfers.

40 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Daily Mail - Wilfried Zaha is eyeing a big move away from Crystal Palace this summer, with Everton and Borussia Dortmund keen to sign the talented winger. Palace are desperate to keep their star man and will demand upwards of £60million, given he has a further four years to run on his current contract. Contrary to reports, Sportsmail understands that Tottenham are not one of the clubs interested in signing the Ivory Coast international, having baulked at the asking price. The Eagles remain in a strong position heading into any negotiations after they extended Zaha’s contract last summer to take him through until June 2022. Everton and Bundesliga giants Borussia Dortmund are currently the two frontrunners for the 25-year-old’s signature, but it is as yet unclear whether he would accept a move that far from his south London home.”

Daily Mirror- 

Everton are plotting part-exchange bid for £60m-rated Wilfried Zaha.

Everton are ready to give Palace the chance to re-sign former favourite Yannick Bolasie and offer cash on top for Zaha.

Everton value Bolasie at around £15m.

German’s Borussia Dortmund are also keen while ambitious West Ham are understood to have baulked at Palace’s valuation.

As reported on Mirror Football, Zaha is keen to move on and, having turned down Palace’s offer to make him their new £125,000-per-week highest earner, contract talks have been shelved.

The 25 year-old has made no secret of his own ambitions and he and his representatives are understood to have been left concerned by recent comments from boss Roy Hodgson.

Zaha was an inspirational figure last season in Palace’s successful survival bid.

But Hodgson has warned Palace are preparing for another battle against the drop in the new season.

I'll be amazed and furious if we pay the asking price. Cash plus Bolasie you're still looking at £45m cash in that deal. Still too much if we actually want to change the way we do transfers.

You can have him for thirty five million....

if you chuck in Lookman too?

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Zaha needs to prove himself at a club aiming for 6-9th before he's ready for the top. Because up to now he has only shown form in a side that flirts with relegation. He's not worth the 60m Palace want to most clubs, but he is to them and I don't blame the price. The lad isn't going to get the move he wants unless somebody loses their mind.

You just signed one of those players 9_9

Frustrating thing is at the end of last season a top half finish pushing for 8th - 9th was the optimism. We sacked off seven games, 13 odd players injured for a further nine games and still finished 11th. With a full season of Hodgson and fit players there was real optimism.

Now our whole squad is being dismantled because of terrible planning (again) and Wilf quite rightly wants to leave. 

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

You just signed one of those players 9_9

What the £13m signing we've brought in as a squad player. Hardly comparable to a £60/70m player who's gonna demand a starting 11 spot.

• The title was changed to Wilfried Zaha - Chelsea & Spurs Linked
  • The topic was featured
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was unfeatured

Archived