talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dani Alves to Miss World Cup

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has to be Fagner surely. Actually shocking how little right back depth they have given the history of the country in that position.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

how big a miss is this for Brazil?
Who will take his place?

Big miss. I mean, Alves is not that good anymore, but he doesn´t have a viable replacement and in terms of leadership, Dani Alves is one of the strongest and most respected voices in the dressing room. Leardership and attitude are always a hot topic when it comes to our national team. The pressure and expectations when it comes to Brazil in a World Cup are always very high, and Dani Alves was the "de facto" captain of this team.

As for his replacement, 3 names are rumoured here: Fágner, Danilo and Rafinha. I still think Marquinhos proved he can be a decent RB, he used to do well there when Blanc coached PSG. Fabinho, despite being a midfield now, could be another option. But the truth is, this is the position Brazil don´t have a good replacement.

Probably a blessing in disguise. Proved to me how little of a leader he is when he antagonised Bonucci during the halftime of the CL final. Though in saying that Bonucci thinks he is Beckenbauer reincarnated so it probably wasn't hard to get under his skin.

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

Probably a blessing in disguise. Proved to me how little of a leader he is when he antagonised Bonucci during the halftime of the CL final. Though in saying that Bonucci thinks he is Beckenbauer reincarnated so it probably wasn't hard to get under his skin.

Different scenario, Spike. At Juventus, he was an outsider. He had been there for less than a year. 

Alves is extremely excentric and an attention seeker, indeed, but for all I know his fellow brazilian players love him, respect him and see him as a leader. And it´s not like we´re rich in the leadership department, the other guy who acts like a leader in that dressing room is... Thiago Silva. xD 

23 hours ago, Stan said:

how big a miss is this for Brazil?
Who will take his place?

About as big of a miss like Lahm not playing. Both are way over the horizon and Brazil have a ton of good full backs: Danilo, Luis, Marcelo, Sandro.

Not really a big miss.

2 hours ago, El_Loco said:

He´d be a good option, in my opinion. But unfortunately, he doesn´t seem to be on Tite´s radar. According to journalists who are close to him, he´s down to 3 names: Rafinha, Danilo and Fágner.

You're manager is a clown

On 12/05/2018 at 17:10, Spike said:

You're manager is a clown

I think he´s a decent coach, but very overrated. The fact that he won the first Libertadores title for Corinthians and he stabilized our NT in the qualifiers grants him an aura of invincibility to a large part of the brazilian media. One of his many mistakes at the helm of Brazil was not testing more players and more systems. 

Many people, wrongly, equate brazilian football to a beautiful style of football but this could not be more wrong. Brazil has adopted for a long time a very conservative and defensive style of football, based on counter-attacks. The fact we´ve had so many good forwards all those years, and it´s pretty obvious a 200 million nation whose first sport is football will have class players in every position, masks it.

The truth is brazilian midfielders are generally not creative and haven´t been for almost 3 decades, with some exceptions.  Therefore we have a hard time at creating chances. When Brazil is trailing in the score, it´s a nightmare. We´re generally eliminated or embarassed because our best weapon, the counter-attack, is taken away from us.

Once again, we have a team overly dependent on a defensive and physical midfield setup and counters. This has a very 2010 feeling to it. I think Brazil´s chances this year are small.

Archived