talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unai Emery is the new Arsenal head coach

The next Arsenal head coach  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next Arsenal coach?

• Massimiliano Allegri
    • Mikel Arteta
    • Unai Emery
    • Luis Enrique
    • Diego Simeone
    • Patrick Vieira
    • Thierry Henry
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Eduardo Berizzo
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Dennis Bergkamp
    • Lucien Favre
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Rafaél Benítez
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other...

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's a big risk giving the job to someone with no experience. Even at Everton I don't think he'd be ready.

It's hard to manage the expectation he'd be burdened with while getting to grips with management at the same time. It's been done before but it's so risky.

Arsenal need a top coach that can get them back in the top 4, someone who can grind results out if needed also. 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why not Thierry Henry or Patrick Vieira?  They have similar coaching experience and credentials!

I have nothing against Mikel Arteta being selected and areeing to be the first ever Arsenal head coach.  I can't see ANY Arsenal fan no matter how acidic that fan may be going against Arteta... What I can see happening though if things unfortunately don't go well is that the vocal fan base that are very toxic at the moment, gaining 100% for the board which is where the fans should've directed and vented their discontent to in the first place.

Anyway... Nobody has been officially appointed yet, so no point in saying this or that.

6 hours ago, Panna King said:

He will sign a 5 year deal,  Cazorla will be his assistant,   Also there are rumours that he wants to bring back Giroud who has a buy back clause. 

All of these things are fairly amusing.

With Wenger bigging up Arteta's literally non-existent managierial credentials today I assume this is really going through.

The appointment of Arteta isn’t one to laugh at in my opinion. Others in the past have come through similar passages like Guardiola who has just achieved 100 points in the Premier League. He was appointed the head coach of a club as powerful and demanding as them when Pep was a youth team coach.

What I’m scared off is bringing back shite like Giroud. 

40 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The appointment of Arteta isn’t one to laugh at in my opinion. Others in the past have come through similar passages like Guardiola who has just achieved 100 points in the Premier League. He was appointed the head coach of a club as powerful and demanding as them when Pep was a youth team coach.

Totally agree mate, I do like the direction the club seem to be taking with the appointment. We are definitely moving towards a more European style set-up and the new man is going to have to fit into that system, not be the be all and end all.

Manchester United are a good example of experience not meaning everything, especially since Ferguson's departure. Not saying they have done badly, but they could've done better in my opinion. 

I do have to say it has been brilliant to see the MSM have no idea who it's going to be, they are just throwing any name out now. 

51 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Sorry but that is complete and utter bollocks. In no way is appointing Arteta in any shape similar to Pep with Barcelona. 

Pep had managerial experience, is a youth product and truly understands the culture, tradition and philsophy Barcelona represent. Arteta was merely a panic buy for Arsenal and has zero managerial experience to his name. 

The only thing Arteta has going for him, is his knowledge of working under Pep. And even then, that doesn't provide any substantial evidence that he will succeed. 

And Shite like Giroud just carried us to the FA Cup Final. He is easily the best off the bench striker in the league. 

19 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Sorry but that is complete and utter bollocks. In no way is appointing Arteta in any shape similar to Pep with Barcelona. 

Pep had managerial experience, is a youth product and truly understands the culture, tradition and philsophy Barcelona represent. Arteta was merely a panic buy for Arsenal and has zero managerial experience to his name. 

The only thing Arteta has going for him, is his knowledge of working under Pep. And even then, that doesn't provide any substantial evidence that he will succeed. 

And Shite like Giroud just carried us to the FA Cup Final. He is easily the best off the bench striker in the league. 

Yep, you’re right on that and when I’m wrong, I’m wrong. Although Giroud is shite, on that one we will disagree and I couldn’t give a damn what anyone else thinks... I’m gonna do a Blue on Giroud... You’re just going to have to respect my decision. xDO.o

Just now, SirBalon said:

Yep, you’re right on that and when I’m wrong, I’m wrong. Although Giroud is shite, on that one we will disagree and I couldn’t give a damn what anyone else thinks... I’m gonna do a Blue on Guroud... You’re just going to have to respect my decision. xDO.o

To be fair I completely see your point. Clubs have proven sometimes taking a chance on someone who knows the club and has little experience can work out better then a man of experience. I mean Guardiola had a season of managing the B team hardly an extensive resume. Zidane at Madrid is another one who has proven to have worked and these are the two biggest clubs in the world.

Of course you can say the cases are very different and I'm not saying Arteta isn't a massive risk, but there is obvious talent there.

There is a difference between a player being "shite" and "not having enough caliber to lead the line for a league winning team" and I think Giroud falls into the latter category. The first category is exclusively reserved for strikers like Bendtner, Sanogo and Chamakh at Arsenal. I like Giroud even though he shouldnt be the main striker for Arsenal, he could go great coming off from bench like how he did at Arsenal in the later stages of his career and how he is doing now at Chelsea. TBH I was more sad that Giroud left the club vs when Sanchez left to United.

28 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yep, you’re right on that and when I’m wrong, I’m wrong. Although Giroud is shite, on that one we will disagree and I couldn’t give a damn what anyone else thinks... I’m gonna do a Blue on Giroud... You’re just going to have to respect my decision. xDO.o

Giroud's an old school target man, he's not shit... but in most modern systems you'd want more from a striker nowadays. I think he's pretty good for the player he is, he's got a decent goal record in England. I respect your decision xD but I disagree with it.

And I don't necessarily think that Arteta will be a bad manager. I just think your first job as a manager being in charge of an overhaul at a big club that has reasonable expectations that it should be doing better than it has been doing is... a pretty big ask. And it's not like a club legend coming in who's worked his way up from that club's youth ranks as @Cicero pointed out. It's a well liked ex-player, who was a very good player, and his (incredibly limited and not even managerial) coaching experience is with Citeh. Who, and it still feels weird to say this about City, have a substantially better side than Arsenal in virtually every way imaginable. Better coaching staff on the whole (sorry Arsene, you're still a legend - but I mean look at Pep's staff and their recent record and yours), better keeper, defense, midfield, and strikers, more money - they've got fewer problems to cope with than Arsenal and when problems come up they can literally throw money at the problem until it goes away.

I just believe it's incredibly risky. When a legendary manager that's been a part of the club for a long time leaves and is replaced, there's big shoes to fill and you want someone who knows what the fuck they're doing. That's particularly true if there's any sort of rebuilding of the squad that's going on. When Graeme Souness took over from King Kenny's great Liverpool side, it may have needed a bit of a refresh but nowhere near as much work as I think many of us believe Arsenal might. Yet Souness's "rebuild" of Liverpool was a fucking disaster.

I think many of the problems Liverpool have faced over the last few decades stem back to how poorly the transition from King Kenny to Souness went. AND SOUNESS HAD SOME PRIOR MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE AS WELL! He won three titles with Rangers and 3 Scottish Cups as well. Then came to Liverpool and started a rot that you can argue never really stopped because that poor transition period was the root of a number of problems that developed on and off the pitch. Some of these were cured after noted changes in ownership - but with Gillet and Hicks came problems of their own, and when FSG came into the fold they were (and still are probably) just learning how to run a football club as they go. And over that time we've had ups and downs on the pitch - but we've nowhere near experienced the highs that Liverpool fans can remember the 70s-80s did.

Putting it this way: it's a job where it's easy to make a small mistake that can grow into massive problems on and off the pitch, Arsenal haven't qualified for the CL again and that's obviously unacceptable and is cutting the club off from a revenue stream it once always had access to, and if you fail... other clubs will capitalise on it. The top 4 clubs are going to be experiencing relative stability compared to Arsenal and Chelsea - who are both looking for new managers. There's also Everton and Leicester, who I think are the next two closest clubs to reasonably want to challenge for the top 4 (depending on what happens over the summer).

If we make an assumption that the current top 4 perform at least as well as they did last season, except for Manchester City - let's say they do worse so the season is actually competitive between the top 4, and then we make the assumption that Chelsea have brought in a good manager and they're playing just as well as the top 4 contenders, and then you've got Everton with their new manager actually competing for the top 4, as well as a Leicester that's somehow managed to sign an incredible replacement to Mahrez having Puel look like a football genius and in a hot streak looking like their miracle title win season... first I admit this is a fucking hell of an assumption to make (also this would possibly be the greatest ever season in the PL by the scenario I've dreamt up; look how fucking competitive it sounds - the bottom half of the table would look like total shit though xD). But it's a possible scenario, or one very much like it but with less competitive teams overall. Any way you try to slice it, it's obviously a very high pressure situation. 

In any case, you've got this transition period with potentially awful consequences with every poor signing or any shite like that. Then you've also got a job that just comes with a lot of fucking pressure. And then you add the fact that it's Arsenal and they're one of England's biggest sides. It's a LOT to ask for all managers but the very best, in my opinion. It's even more to ask of a relative novice. But in Arteta's case, he'd be a complete novice in a very competitive league where Arsenal as a business have an awful lot to lose rather than just points on the league table (which are also obviously important in the footballing sense).

It's just incredibly fucking risky. I think it's a pretty mental decision in all honesty. I think if you're going to start your managerial career in the top flight with a club that's got high expectations, you'd want to do it in a relatively weak league. But doing it in one of the big leagues and you have to be something special like Pep Guardiola to pull it off. There's just so much at stake and so much quality from the competition. If it was going to someone completely green, I'd have them at least be a youth team manager first or assistant manager at the club for a few seasons. I don't think Arteta's ready to manage Everton or West Ham or any other club looking for a manager - I wouldn't have him at Stoke if I were the Stoke chairman. Chelsea aren't going to be interested in him one iota, I imagine. I don't think Arsenal should be even considering it, even if he is a popular player with a brief bit of coaching (again, not management though) experience.

If Arsenal appoint Arteta, good luck to him and good luck to Arsenal. I don't see it going well - but if he proves me wrong, cool. I think Arsenal being good is good for the league. And Arteta was a good player and seemed like a decent bloke, even if the cunt had his best days (imo) at Everton.

Also I just gave @SirBalon a novel as a reply to a one sentence post of his. Do I win anything for this?

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Giroud's an old school target man, he's not shit... but in most modern systems you'd want more from a striker nowadays. I think he's pretty good for the player he is, he's got a decent goal record in England. I respect your decision xD but I disagree with it.

And I don't necessarily think that Arteta will be a bad manager. I just think your first job as a manager being in charge of an overhaul at a big club that has reasonable expectations that it should be doing better than it has been doing is... a pretty big ask. And it's not like a club legend coming in who's worked his way up from that club's youth ranks as @Cicero pointed out. It's a well liked ex-player, who was a very good player, and his (incredibly limited and not even managerial) coaching experience is with Citeh. Who, and it still feels weird to say this about City, have a substantially better side than Arsenal in virtually every way imaginable. Better coaching staff on the whole (sorry Arsene, you're still a legend - but I mean look at Pep's staff and their recent record and yours), better keeper, defense, midfield, and strikers, more money - they've got fewer problems to cope with than Arsenal and when problems come up they can literally throw money at the problem until it goes away.

I just believe it's incredibly risky. When a legendary manager that's been a part of the club for a long time leaves and is replaced, there's big shoes to fill and you want someone who knows what the fuck they're doing. That's particularly true if there's any sort of rebuilding of the squad that's going on. When Graeme Souness took over from King Kenny's great Liverpool side, it may have needed a bit of a refresh but nowhere near as much work as I think many of us believe Arsenal might. Yet Souness's "rebuild" of Liverpool was a fucking disaster.

I think many of the problems Liverpool have faced over the last few decades stem back to how poorly the transition from King Kenny to Souness went. AND SOUNESS HAD SOME PRIOR MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE AS WELL! He won three titles with Rangers and 3 Scottish Cups as well. Then came to Liverpool and started a rot that you can argue never really stopped because that poor transition period was the root of a number of problems that developed on and off the pitch. Some of these were cured after noted changes in ownership - but with Gillet and Hicks came problems of their own, and when FSG came into the fold they were (and still are probably) just learning how to run a football club as they go. And over that time we've had ups and downs on the pitch - but we've nowhere near experienced the highs that Liverpool fans can remember the 70s-80s did.

Putting it this way: it's a job where it's easy to make a small mistake that can grow into massive problems on and off the pitch, Arsenal haven't qualified for the CL again and that's obviously unacceptable and is cutting the club off from a revenue stream it once always had access to, and if you fail... other clubs will capitalise on it. The top 4 clubs are going to be experiencing relative stability compared to Arsenal and Chelsea - who are both looking for new managers. There's also Everton and Leicester, who I think are the next two closest clubs to reasonably want to challenge for the top 4 (depending on what happens over the summer).

If we make an assumption that the current top 4 perform at least as well as they did last season, except for Manchester City - let's say they do worse so the season is actually competitive between the top 4, and then we make the assumption that Chelsea have brought in a good manager and they're playing just as well as the top 4 contenders, and then you've got Everton with their new manager actually competing for the top 4, as well as a Leicester that's somehow managed to sign an incredible replacement to Mahrez having Puel look like a football genius and in a hot streak looking like their miracle title win season... first I admit this is a fucking hell of an assumption to make (also this would possibly be the greatest ever season in the PL by the scenario I've dreamt up; look how fucking competitive it sounds - the bottom half of the table would look like total shit though xD). But it's a possible scenario, or one very much like it but with less competitive teams overall. Any way you try to slice it, it's obviously a very high pressure situation. 

In any case, you've got this transition period with potentially awful consequences with every poor signing or any shite like that. Then you've also got a job that just comes with a lot of fucking pressure. And then you add the fact that it's Arsenal and they're one of England's biggest sides. It's a LOT to ask for all managers but the very best, in my opinion. It's even more to ask of a relative novice. But in Arteta's case, he'd be a complete novice in a very competitive league where Arsenal as a business have an awful lot to lose rather than just points on the league table (which are also obviously important in the footballing sense).

It's just incredibly fucking risky. I think it's a pretty mental decision in all honesty. I think if you're going to start your managerial career in the top flight with a club that's got high expectations, you'd want to do it in a relatively weak league. But doing it in one of the big leagues and you have to be something special like Pep Guardiola to pull it off. There's just so much at stake and so much quality from the competition. If it was going to someone completely green, I'd have them at least be a youth team manager first or assistant manager at the club for a few seasons. I don't think Arteta's ready to manage Everton or West Ham or any other club looking for a manager - I wouldn't have him at Stoke if I were the Stoke chairman. Chelsea aren't going to be interested in him one iota, I imagine. I don't think Arsenal should be even considering it, even if he is a popular player with a brief bit of coaching (again, not management though) experience.

If Arsenal appoint Arteta, good luck to him and good luck to Arsenal. I don't see it going well - but if he proves me wrong, cool. I think Arsenal being good is good for the league. And Arteta was a good player and seemed like a decent bloke, even if the cunt had his best days (imo) at Everton.

Also I just gave @SirBalon a novel as a reply to a one sentence post of his. Do I win anything for this?

dafuq mate, was your account hacked by balon? 

21 minutes ago, Asura said:

dafuq mate, was your account hacked by balon? 

Brilliant post although I had to wear my glasses for it to be honest. xD

Griroud is stil caca though. Watched him since he joined Arsenal every single home game in the flesh. But let’s not make this a Giroud slating thread which I’m the first one on the mea culpa target list if this ends up occurring. Blame Panna for saying he was goig to return. :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Brilliant post although I had to wear my glasses for it to be honest. xD

Griroud is stil caca though. Watched him since he joined Arsenal every single home game in the flesh. But let’s not make this a Giroud slating thread which I’m the first one on the mea culpa target list if this ends up occurring. Blame Panna for saying he was goig to return. :ph34r:

Haha i saw a report about Arteta and was about 3 players he wants to buy, Seri, a defender from Dortmund and Giroud. 

But Morata has scored in a Champions League Final (didn't hide in that competition like Giroud did against Anderlecht) and then won one with Real Madrid in a season where he was a protagonist. Anyway... Morata isn't the song of my praises.

Had to edit because my iPad turned Giroud into "aground" xD:ph34r:

Archived