talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unai Emery is the new Arsenal head coach

The next Arsenal head coach  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next Arsenal coach?

• Massimiliano Allegri
    • Mikel Arteta
    • Unai Emery
    • Luis Enrique
    • Diego Simeone
    • Patrick Vieira
    • Thierry Henry
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Eduardo Berizzo
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Dennis Bergkamp
    • Lucien Favre
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Rafaél Benítez
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other...

This poll is closed to new votes

49 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

There should be sales to boost that amount and I hope work has been going on in that sense, not only on those leaving and getting the most for them (not easy in itself due to underperformance) but also identifying and tapping the targets Arsenal want.

Yeah what the bourd have actually said is the new manager can spend 50million net. If players are sold he can spend more

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah what the bourd have actually said is the new manager can spend 50million net. If players are sold he can spend more

Do you know how much profit we made for the year mate?

15 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

A lot:dam:

This is the big difference between PLC clubs, private (inviduals) owned clubs and fan owned clubs... It's a lot simpler to invest profits into performance where there aren't shareholders to keep happy.

• Subscriber

My only concern with Arteta would be whether he has the authority and killer instinct to preside over the clear out of players needed at Arsenal, including a decent handful of his former team mates.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

My only concern with Arteta would be whether he has the authority and killer instinct to preside over the clear out of players needed at Arsenal, including a decent handful of his former team mates.

He wouldn't have that job, he'd be employed as head coach and not a manager. Managers are old school mate!

He can give his opinion as to who he isn't counting with for the forthcoming season but then it's upto the technical staff in the boardroom to make decisions.  That's how football has been working on the continent for nearly 20 years now.

10 hours ago, SirBalon said:

There should be sales to boost that amount and I hope work has been going on in that sense, not only on those leaving and getting the most for them (not easy in itself due to underperformance) but also identifying and tapping the targets Arsenal want.

Do you have anyone of any kind of value that selling would free up good funds?

5 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Do you have anyone of any kind of value that selling would free up good funds?

Not really.  One departed with minutes remaining on his contract on a swap deal for a player that only God knows if we needed him and the other one signed a mega deal that compares with the greatest players on the planet.  Aside from those two we don't have anyone (I'm taking underperformance into account here) that will make over the amount we supposedly have to spend.

• Subscriber

Gonzo's post on page 3 was excellent and I agree with it. It's not like you're walking into a relatively strong Arsenal, you're walking into one that's demanding an improvement after some gradual decline over time. It's a massive ask for someone like Arteta to come in and deliver that, regardless of how good a coach he is.

Best case scenario I think is get an experienced head in and potentially try and snare Arteta while you're at it as assistant, with the view to maybe giving him the job in the long run. Granted these kinds of scenarios rarely actually happen.

I reckon the Arteta gamble could backfire massively. There's a very big downside to that one.

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Gonzo's post on page 3 was excellent and I agree with it. It's not like you're walking into a relatively strong Arsenal, you're walking into one that's demanding an improvement after some gradual decline over time. It's a massive ask for someone like Arteta to come in and deliver that, regardless of how good a coach he is.

Best case scenario I think is get an experienced head in and potentially try and snare Arteta while you're at it as assistant, with the view to maybe giving him the job in the long run. Granted these kinds of scenarios rarely actually happen.

I reckon the Arteta gamble could backfire massively. There's a very big downside to that one.

Backfire massively in what sense though mate?

The last two years has seen us finally observe the dry rot take over and a slow decline.  The reason it didn't occur earlier was because there were some very big clubs in this league in a sort of transition and kind of unstable. The stability in those other clubs has subsequently delivered the reality (brutal reality in Arsenal's case) of where things stand and where the competition is coming from for the forsseeable future.

What can Arteta do that's even a worse case scenario? Finish mid-table?  I think more of what we were getting would've seen us slide more toward that area than the opposite one anyway.

• Subscriber

Spent yesterday with my mate i mentioned earlier, said it is all done and could be announced as early as Monday but any time in the next two weeks. Said it’s very hush hush and only Ivan knows who’s got it, but fully expecting it to be Arteta

Arsenal fans are all over the place :ph34r:from wanting Wenger out because he can't win the league anymore to being happy with the appointment of the bloke who hands bibs out in Man City's training sessions.

Watford might go through a lot of managers but they wouldn't be happy if Harry the Hornet got the job.

:219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake:

13 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Arsenal fans arxDe all over the place :ph34r:from wanting Wenger out because he can't win the league anymore to being happy with the appointment of the bloke who hands bibs out in Man City's training sessions.

Watford might go through a lot of managers but they wouldn't be happy if Harry the Hornet got the job.

:219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake:

Hands bibs out xD

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Backfire massively in what sense though mate?

The last two years has seen us finally observe the dry rot take over and a slow decline.  The reason it didn't occur earlier was because there were some very big clubs in this league in a sort of transition and kind of unstable. The stability in those other clubs has subsequently delivered the reality (brutal reality in Arsenal's case) of where things stand and where the competition is coming from for the forsseeable future.

What can Arteta do that's even a worse case scenario? Finish mid-table?  I think more of what we were getting would've seen us slide more toward that area than the opposite one anyway.

It is possible you finish midtable. Chelsea and Liverpool have both done it and with arguably stronger squads than yours. You never know who'll have a good season too.

I couldn't see Arteta getting you above 6th next season and the longer you spend not qualifying for the Champions League the harder it'll get.

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

It is possible you finish midtable. Chelsea and Liverpool have both done it and with arguably stronger squads than yours. You never know who'll have a good season too.

I couldn't see Arteta getting you above 6th next season and the longer you spend not qualifying for the Champions League the harder it'll get.

Of course that can be seen but it is all hypothesis and the easiest case scenario for obvious reasons is that this will occur. But it wouldn't be the first time that something on the contrary occurs in situations such as these. 

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Of course that can be seen but it is all hypothesis and the easiest case scenario for obvious reasons is that this will occur. But it wouldn't be the first time that something on the contrary occurs in situations such as these. 

It's just such a massive gamble for a club Arsenal's size.

Each season you're out in the wilderness away from the CL, the harder the next season will be harder to build on. Arsenal will lose their top targets yo the clubs they are trying to compete with. Your top players will have their heads turned by clubs that do get consistent CL football (already happened with Sanchez tbh) - so it's harder to keep the players you need the most. And harder to bring in players of the right quality to compete in a league where the top end is just getting more and more competitive.

One or two bad seasons for Arteta and you could be starting again with the same goal... but a few steps back from where you are now.

That's an insane amount of pressure to put on someone who has literally never managed before. Not even a youth team.

There is no way he's the best man available for the job. Especially if the general consensus is that Wenger lost his touch and Arsenal weren't improving. If Arteta is appointed it seems lazy from Arsenal and suggests they'd prefer to have a yes man to someone ambitious.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's just such a massive gamble for a club Arsenal's size.

Each season you're out in the wilderness away from the CL, the harder the next season will be harder to build on. Arsenal will lose their top targets yo the clubs they are trying to compete with. Your top players will have their heads turned by clubs that do get consistent CL football (already happened with Sanchez tbh) - so it's harder to keep the players you need the most. And harder to bring in players of the right quality to compete in a league where the top end is just getting more and more competitive.

One or two bad seasons for Arteta and you could be starting again with the same goal... but a few steps back from where you are now.

That's an insane amount of pressure to put on someone who has literally never managed before. Not even a youth team.

There is no way he's the best man available for the job. Especially if the general consensus is that Wenger lost his touch and Arsenal weren't improving. If Arteta is appointed it seems lazy from Arsenal and suggests they'd prefer to have a yes man to someone ambitious.

I agree with everything you've written but my written words can be looked upon as resignation mate.  I no longer have the will or the want to post dissent in the manner that I used to. I wanted Wenger out at least 6 years ago and I wanted change in the structure at Arsenal (fundamentally and most importantly) before then. After Arsène Wenger was offered a new 2 year contract for utter mediocrity and nothingness, I sold my season ticket to a friend on the proviso that he sell it back to me when I so wished... But I'm am now contemplating actually formally selling my seat which is worth quite a bit at the moment.  I don't give a shit because they don't give a shit about me, a fan.

Arsenal are set to appoint Unai Emery as their new manager.

Manchester City assistant Mikel Arteta was strong favourite to succeed the outgoing Arsene Wenger.

But following a thorough recruitment process that involved all candidates being spoken to, Emery emerged as the unanimous choice.

The 46-year-old Spaniard is available after leaving Paris St-Germain where he won one Ligue 1 title and four domestic cups in two seasons in charge.

Previously he guided Sevilla to three consecutive Europa League triumphs between 2014 and 2016.

He announced last month he would leave PSG when his contract expired at the end of the season and was replaced by former Borussia Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel, who had also been linked with the Arsenal job.

Emery's English is not completely fluent but the language barrier is not expected to be a problem.

An announcement and news conference are expected later this week.

The recruitment process was led by Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis, head of football relations Raul Sanllehi and head of recruitment Sven Mislintat.

Archived