talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Hamburg Relegated For First Time Ever Into German Second Division

• Administrator

they were the only remaining ever-present in the top tier of German football and now their time is up. 

They'd been flirting with relegation for the last few seasons but somehow pulled it out the bag on those occasions towards the end of the season. Not this time though. 

Can they come straight back up? How will they react by going in to the 2nd tier for the first time ever?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Finally. It's been a long time coming, somehow they managed to avoid it for a few years in a row, but still failed to take proper measures to change the things that were quite obviously not working at all levels of the club... Bad management, poor squad building, no continuity or stability whatsoever. Relegation could be good for them if they don't descend into complete chaos; HSV definitely belongs in the 1. Bundesliga, and while I'm rather glad to see them relegated, I do hope they sort themselves out and come back again after one year.

10 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

You´re aware they lent him to Leeds of all clubs because they thought he´s bullshit?

Of course.

But now they are no longer in the top division, they may have to use him given the quality will be lower. And that is my point.

• Subscriber

Seriously doubt HSV will want to keep Lasogga. With his 3,4m € yearly wages, he's way too expensive, especially for 2. Liga... They need to change their ways if they want to ever get back on their feet, and getting rid of overpaid overrated players is the first step.

27 minutes ago, nudge said:

Seriously doubt HSV will want to keep Lasogga. With his 3,4m € yearly wages, he's way too expensive, especially for 2. Liga... They need to change their ways if they want to ever get back on their feet, and getting rid of overpaid overrated players is the first step.

Absolutely. He’s one of the first players I hope we’ll find a way to sell. Leeds only agreed to take him, Lucas, because HSV paid half of his salary. 

16 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

Shows how much this means to some guys when even Papad sheds a tear or two.  He might be one of their best chances to come straight back if he stays!

I’d like to see him stay, but I really don’t think it likely. As I’m sure you know, he’s quite an emotional guy, who got understandably caught up in the moment yesterday. Once time inevitably causes separation from the moment and the tangibles of next season are on the table before him, I think it very likely he’ll be tempted by an offer to remain in a first league somewhere. 

I think the same will apply to Holtby. I think he’s been caught up in being the catalyst of our hopeful miracle, but likewise, offers will likely come in and he might view his salary offers as more salivating elsewhere. This would be unfortunate, as I’m quite fond of Holtby.

I think the players we will see leave via sales include:

Wood, Kostic, Santos, Wallace, Ekdal, Lasogga

Players we’ll see go with expiry of contracts:

Hunt, Müller, Schipplock, Diekmeier

Players I think very likely to be tempted by moves elsewhere:

Papa, Pollersbeck, Mathenia, Arp, van Drongelen, Holtby

What will become of Halilovic will be interesting to see. He’s already said recently that he doesn’t want to return to Hamburg, and he undoubtedly won’t want to play in the second division, but will anyone in Spain actually buy him? I can see this becoming a painful thorn in the side as the club attempts to remold their squad this summer, with him refusing to show up for camp but no legit offers actually coming in. 

Those in charge have a lot of work to do. Fortunately, we will still have Titz, and his knowledge of the youth kids has already been a rewarding asset. I am very much looking forward to seeing what he can do with the more promising players in the 2. BuLi. Steinmann went from a returning castoff to what appears to be a core player under Titz, so who knows who else he might have his eye on. On and up.

I am excited about some derbies however. About fuckin time. Looks like we had to get our hands dirty to set them up, since St Pauli couldn’t do their part...

38 minutes ago, Chadwell said:

Absolutely. He’s one of the first players I hope we’ll find a way to sell. Leeds only agreed to take him, Lucas, because HSV paid half of his salary. 

I’d like to see him stay, but I really don’t think it likely. As I’m sure you know, he’s quite an emotional guy, who got understandably caught up in the moment yesterday. Once time inevitably causes separation from the moment and the tangibles of next season are on the table before him, I think it very likely he’ll be tempted by an offer to remain in a first league somewhere. 

I think the same will apply to Holtby. I think he’s been caught up in being the catalyst of our hopeful miracle, but likewise, offers will likely come in and he might view his salary offers as more salivating elsewhere. This would be unfortunate, as I’m quite fond of Holtby.

I think the players we will see leave via sales include:

Wood, Kostic, Santos, Wallace, Ekdal, Lasogga

Players we’ll see go with expiry of contracts:

Hunt, Müller, Schipplock, Diekmeier

Players I think very likely to be tempted by moves elsewhere:

Papa, Pollersbeck, Mathenia, Arp, van Drongelen, Holtby

What will become of Halilovic will be interesting to see. He’s already said recently that he doesn’t want to return to Hamburg, and he undoubtedly won’t want to play in the second division, but will anyone in Spain actually buy him? I can see this becoming a painful thorn in the side as the club attempts to remold their squad this summer, with him refusing to show up for camp but no legit offers actually coming in. 

Those in charge have a lot of work to do. Fortunately, we will still have Titz, and his knowledge of the youth kids has already been a rewarding asset. I am very much looking forward to seeing what he can do with the more promising players in the 2. BuLi. Steinmann went from a returning castoff to what appears to be a core player under Titz, so who knows who else he might have his eye on. On and up.

I am excited about some derbies however. About fuckin time. Looks like we had to get our hands dirty to set them up, since St Pauli couldn’t do their part...

Lasogga has still one year on his contract though, and the bolded parts could be a major obstacle since I´m not sure HSV find a club stupid enough to meet his massive wage expectations.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/05/2018 at 16:17, Stan said:

they were the only remaining ever-present in the top tier of German football and now their time is up. 

They'd been flirting with relegation for the last few seasons but somehow pulled it out the bag on those occasions towards the end of the season. Not this time though. 

Can they come straight back up? How will they react by going in to the 2nd tier for the first time ever?

What beyern haven' always been in the top flight?

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What beyern haven' always been in the top flight?

Bayern were on the brink of bankruptcy in the 50s and were not one of the clubs invited to join the league when the Bundesliga was founded, they got promoted two years later though and stayed there ever since.

Archived