talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alvaro Morata - Will he Miss Out?

!

Alvaro Morata has expressed his desire to go to the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™, but admitted he is fretting about missing out.

Despite scoring 12 goals in his past 15 internationals, the 25-year-old striker was omitted from Julen Lopetegui’s squad for Spain’s most recent friendlies against Germany and Argentina. Morata has also made just seven English Premier League starts for Chelsea this year, principally due to the arrival of FIFA Puskas Award holder Olivier Giroud at the club.

"I would love to go to Russia,” the former Real Madrid and Juventus man told Marca. “It'd be really tough not to go, but that is a possibility. All of the possible outcomes should be kept in mind.

“Each person has to do what's best for them. I wouldn't understand it, but you have to be prepared for everything. The joy if you're on the list can be great, but there's a need to realise that the year hasn't been the best and there's a chance of staying at home.

“Football is about moments. Look at Mohamed Salah, who is fantastic – I'm happy for what's happening to him. But last summer, they said it was good for him to be sold and now look.

“I know my season hasn't been good. If I'd scored 30 goals, then I'd say I'm sure of being on the list. Now, I have to prepare for any outcome, but I'll fight to go until the last minute."

Iago Aspas, Diego Costa, Rodrigo and Lucas Vazquez were the four forwards in Spain’s last squad. The former three all scored and impressed over the team's two friendlies, while Vazquez was afforded little time to impress. Aritz Aduriz, Jose Callejon and David Villa have also featured in Lopetegui’s recent selections.

Spain play Portugal, Iran and Morocco in Group B at Russia 2018.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s looking that way and to be fair he’s down the pecking order to go. Gerard Moreno has more chances if going than Morata. Got to be Aspas right now for me as first choice. He’s earned ot through hard work to bring his game back to what it was and more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived