• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Oliver Kahn

Cafu - Cannavaro - Puyol - Roberto Carlos

Vieira

Ronaldinho - Iniesta - Messi

Klose - Ronaldo

I could have chosen more talented strikers, let's say, but the fact that Klose holds the record for most goals ever at World Cups it'd be somewhat foolish to ignore that. There's enough flair and creativity elsewhere in that side. 

Some tough players to exclude though, especially when it comes to that defensive midfield position - Redondo, Davids, Gattuso, Pirlo. Any other day it could have been them. 

Similarly with the defensive choices - Lahm, Lucio, Maldini, Nesta all stand out as alternatives. 

34 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Time for some of you old fogies to show off....

Who would make your greatest World Cup XI in your lifetime?

The first World Cup I can remember was 1994, it´s not an objective list, I´ll make a list with the players that gave me the most pleasant memories of great performances. So here we go: 

GK: Kahn (2002): Yes, he failed in the final, but what he made in that tournament was exceptional. Germany had no business in reaching that final. he took them there.

RB: Lilian Thuram (1998): That goal against Croatia and the celebration. Iconic.

CB: Carlos Gamarra (1998): It was almost impossible to score against Paraguay in 98 and Gamarra was a big part of that defence. He never used to commit fouls.

CB: Fabio Cannavaro (2006): He was a monster in 06. 

LB: Roberto Carlos (2002)

DM: Edgar Davis (1998): Absoutely loved that man. What a player he was and what a team the dutch had in 98. They were the best team in that Word Cup, it´s a shame we ended up elimating them.

CM: Andrés Iniesta (2010): Scored the decisive goal and bossed the midfield during that tournament.

CM/AM: Zinedine Zidane (2006): I think 06 and not 98 was his best World Cup. His performance against Brazil in the QF was one of the best I´ve ever seen in a World Cup match. 

AM: Rivaldo (2002): in my opinion, he and not Ronaldo was Brazil´s best player in 2002. 

FW: Roberto Baggio (1994): It´s easy to discount what he did during that World Cup when you just see the last penalty, but he was great in that World Cup. 

Striker: Romário (1994): 1994 Brazil was a dull, boring team, but Romário was exceptional and led them to their 1st title in 24 years. Obrigado, Baixinho.

Honorable Mention: Dennis Bergkamp (1998): What a player. That a goal against Argentina was incredible.

• Administrator
Just now, El_Loco said:

Honorable Mention: Dennis Bergkamp (1998): What a player. That a goal against Argentina was incredible.

if it's on goals alone I'm selecting Bergkamp and Owen up front and Edmilson at the back xD 

I'm rating WC performances  that I remember not actual ability

Casillas
Lahm
von Bronckhorst
Capdevila
Muller
Sneijder
Howedes
Klose
Materazzi
Grosso
Zidane

That is XI standout players that were probably overly important to their teams for their world cups tournaments. I don't remember anything prior to 06.
Some of them weren't even that great players.

Most the names will be similar.

Zidane is a must. Best player in '06, and came up with some crucial moments in '98, not least the final. And he is the hardman in the team with his headbutting potatial.

Iniesta is a must. He controlled games like a puppet on a string in South Africa. One of the greatest most understated footballers there is.

Kahn is a must. He carried the German's in '02.

Cannavaro is a must. A rock in '06. I love his passion and no nonsense defending, especially for such a short bloke for a centre half.

I have somewhat cheated because there was just no way I could leave out Cafu or Thuram so used both as Thuram played in the centre for France and had a great tournament there in '06. Obviously '98 was the one where he made his name at RB, especially with the two goals against Croatia in the semi. But Cafu was outstanding in '98 and '02 so has to hold that position.

Roberto Carlos again like Cafu, had memorable tournament's in '98 and '02. My favourite left back, and one of the greatest ever in my opinion is Paolo Maldini, but he had more memorable moments at club level than World Cup one's.

Thomas Muller also has has two brilliant World Cup's in '10 and '14. I can't ignore him. He just has that annoying knack of popping up with goals and assists.

Ronaldo, the only one in my eyes, is just an absolute icon. You cannot leave him out.

Miroslav Klose is an absolute must. All time top scorer in the competition and thrived at this tournament. 16 goals across 4 World Cup's with a winner's position and two third placed finishes. Very easy to overlook him with so many more iconic names around but he was Mr Reliable.

---------------------------Buffon

Cafu-------Thuram-------Cannavaro------Roberto Carlos

Muller----------Zidane--------Iniesta-------Rivaldo

------------------Ronaldo---Klose

Kahn

Cafu -- Puyol -- Cannavaro -- R.Carlos

Zidane ----- Iniesta

Rivaldo

Ronaldo -- Romario -- Baggio

A very weird formation but I couldn't leave out any of those front 3, the 2 midfielders or Rivaldo. All stood out for me in World Cups and besides, who needs defensive midfielders anyway? :ph34r:

On 12/05/2018 at 20:14, El_Loco said:

AM: Rivaldo (2002): in my opinion, he and not Ronaldo was Brazil´s best player in 2002. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It would be interesting to see one from @SirBalon since he has seen a few more World Cups than those of us who have replied.

i'm gonna block out some time in my calendar so I can read it all. Might take a day off work actually. 

6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It would be interesting to see one from @SirBalon since he has seen a few more World Cups than those of us who have replied.

I've given it some thought since the thread was created but it's not easy because there are individuals that have had brilliant World Cups but probably never were in contention to be part of a winning team.

I'll continue to think about it because it's been a number of World Cups I can recall all the way back to 78 clearly. O.o

19 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I've given it some thought since the thread was created but it's not easy because there are individuals that have had brilliant World Cups but probably never were in contention to be part of a winning team.

I'll continue to think about it because it's been a number of World Cups I can recall all the way back to 78 clearly. O.o

78 BC ?

24 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think Neuer should be there for how huge a part he played in the 2014 win. If Germany had any other goalkeeper I don’t think they win that tournament.

Same goes with Casillas in 2010 and Buffon in 2006 

On 5/13/2018 at 08:33, The Rebel CRS said:

Kahn

Thuram -- Puyol -- Cannavaro -- R.Carlos

Zidane ----- Iniesta

Rivaldo

Ronaldo -- Romario -- Baggio

A very weird formation but I couldn't leave out any of those front 3, the 2 midfielders or Rivaldo. All stood out for me in World Cups and besides, who needs defensive midfielders anyway? :ph34r:

My favourite Rivaldo moment in a world cup is this 

Casillas

Lahm - Puyol - Cannavarro - Carlos

Zidane - Xavi - Iniesta

Muller - Ronaldo - Villa

Very hard this, missing big players such as Buffon, Neuer, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu etc. but it is quite challenging. I'm sure there are also some I have missed out but these are probably the most consistent for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite watching the 1994 final, my first full WC was 1998 (and what a WC to being with).

GK - Buffon - Only conceded two goals in the entire 2006 tournament, one being an own goal and the other one was a superb penalty by Zidane. Despite Kahn carrying Germany in 2002, Buffon's 2006 performance was the best I saw from a GK, at any WC).

RB - Cafú - It was between him and Thuram. Both had great WC performances, but Cafú just edges it for me. He was on a different league.

CB - Cannavaro - Nesta, for me, was the best defender I ever saw. Unfortunately, he missed most of the 2006 tournament, when Cannavaro completely stole the show. 

CB - Puyol - Beast of a tournament in 2010. Puyol, compared to other CB's (for an instance, Piqué) always lacked a bit on the technical aspect, but compensated his inferior technique with a passion and determination not many could match.

LB - Roberto Carlos - Legend.

DM - Pirlo - Easily one of the 3 best players of the WC in Germany. 

AM - Rivaldo - Brazil's best player in 2002.

AM - Zidane - France would have never reached two finals without him. Legendary.

AM - Iniesta - 'Iniesta de mi vida', once shouted Camacho. Spain's all-time best.

FW - Klose - All-time goalscorer of the WC. Not very evolved technically, but always on the right position to put them in.

FW - Ronaldo - Best striker I've ever saw, at the top of his game. 

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 14:59, Lucas said:

Most the names will be similar.

Zidane is a must. Best player in '06, and came up with some crucial moments in '98, not least the final. And he is the hardman in the team with his headbutting potatial.

Iniesta is a must. He controlled games like a puppet on a string in South Africa. One of the greatest most understated footballers there is.

Kahn is a must. He carried the German's in '02.

Cannavaro is a must. A rock in '06. I love his passion and no nonsense defending, especially for such a short bloke for a centre half.

I have somewhat cheated because there was just no way I could leave out Cafu or Thuram so used both as Thuram played in the centre for France and had a great tournament there in '06. Obviously '98 was the one where he made his name at RB, especially with the two goals against Croatia in the semi. But Cafu was outstanding in '98 and '02 so has to hold that position.

Roberto Carlos again like Cafu, had memorable tournament's in '98 and '02. My favourite left back, and one of the greatest ever in my opinion is Paolo Maldini, but he had more memorable moments at club level than World Cup one's.

Thomas Muller also has has two brilliant World Cup's in '10 and '14. I can't ignore him. He just has that annoying knack of popping up with goals and assists.

Ronaldo, the only one in my eyes, is just an absolute icon. You cannot leave him out.

Miroslav Klose is an absolute must. All time top scorer in the competition and thrived at this tournament. 16 goals across 4 World Cup's with a winner's position and two third placed finishes. Very easy to overlook him with so many more iconic names around but he was Mr Reliable.

---------------------------Buffon

Cafu-------Thuram-------Cannavaro------Roberto Carlos

Muller----------Zidane--------Iniesta-------Rivaldo

------------------Ronaldo---Klose

I'd go with this one, even though it says Kahn is a must and then has Buffon as keeper. But the choice between Kahn and Buffon is very tough - I'd go with Buffon though, best keeper I've ever seen in my life.

Archived